PDA

View Full Version : Heard of a Duvo lathe ?

Dave Lehnert
01-01-2009, 12:42 AM
A guy has a Duvo brand lathe for sale but he knows nothing about it or even a photo to show me.

Scott Hubl
01-01-2009, 1:47 AM
Duro lathe maybe? Is it even a woodturning lathe or a metal turning lathe?

Either way, i'd Pass on it.

If something ever breaks, were will you get parts or service for it?

Sounds like it could just be a headache.

Do yourself a favor and save up your money until you can buy the lathe you want, Usually buying the BEST you can afford is pretty solid advice.

Used lathes are fine if they are a brand name and parts can be had when and if needed.

You want "standard" thing like MT size, thread size, ect.

From the info in your post I can't get much further into details as I do not know whether this is a first lathe for you or your looking at full sized lathes or mini lathe to just get started with or what you plan on turning.

More details from you will get you better responces.

Good luck.

Dave Lehnert
01-01-2009, 1:56 AM
This is just a cheap lathe a guy wants to get rid of.

Greg Just
01-01-2009, 9:44 AM
I Googled Duro Lathe and came up with this link:

http://www.owwm.com/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=270

robert hainstock
01-01-2009, 10:06 AM
They were sold by Montgomery Wards and went out of business in 1981. That would equate in my mind to cheaply made, no parts available, etc. IMHO what you have there is a motorised boat anchor. :eek::eek:
Bob

Mike Lipke
01-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Here is a photo. The quickly adjustable tool rest is certainly attractive!!

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=8181

Curt Fuller
01-01-2009, 11:33 AM
I just followed Greg's link and if it's acturally the "Duro" lathe I think that's a great looking old machine. If all the parts are there and he doesn't wan't an exorbitant amount of money for it, it would be a fun machine to restore. The thing about these old lathes is that there's really nothing to break on them. If the bearings go out they're good old American bearings that you can take into your local bearing shop and they'll match you up with new ones. And they're so heavy and solid that they're a dream to turn on. I'd like that for a conversation piece on the coffee table in the living room. My wife might not go for it though.

Jeff Nicol
01-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Dave, If the price is right most of the old machines were made here in the USA. That said the parts and things should all be standard and not metric. It should not be any more trouble than getting a bushing or pulley for any old lathe. If the casting is good and the motor runs, and cheap enough! Why not!

So get a look at it and see if it is worth the effort!
I would!!

Jeff