PDA

View Full Version : Peppermill ..high caliber turning

Ted Calver
12-31-2008, 10:39 PM
....well, maybe not so high caliber, but I tried!! I made a pepper mill like this one for a hunter friend and then decided I wanted one too, so this ones mine. Crush grind mechanism, mahogany body and maple burl bullet. Stands about 14" high and has 2 coats of Waterlox Original on it so far. I'll do 3 more and then buff it out--that's a 300 Winchester Magnum next to it, just for scale. Happy New Year everyone!!!

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Ted - that is really cool! First time I have ever seen that particular design in peppermills! Quite the conversation piece! Very nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2008, 11:14 PM
Great looking mill. That ought to be a conversation piece for sure.

Jim Kountz
12-31-2008, 11:31 PM
Now theres something Ive never seen before, too cool!! Love it!!

Rick Prosser
01-01-2009, 1:02 AM
Excellent! (and very cool):cool:

Billy Tallant
01-01-2009, 4:02 AM
Great looking piece. If my Dad ever sees one like that, he will be hollering for me to make him one.

robert hainstock
01-01-2009, 9:48 AM
That's very cool. Did you have any problems in the assembly with allignment, or slippage of the mechanism? :):)
Bob

Ted Calver
01-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'm beginning to think I created an an original design with this shape--cool!!. Robert, I trim the small locking wings off the bottom of the mechanism and use a bead of 5 minute epoxy to glue it into place. I haven't had to clip the wings on the top piece, since it's not so hard to slip into place, but it gets the epoxy bead too. Just be careful not to let any glue get into the working parts. If you drill the blank per instructions, everything will align nicely. The insert piece glued into the top of the mill protrudes slightly, so that when it press fits over the shaft and you push the two main pieces together it slides about an eight of an inch into the pepper reservoir to align perfectly.

Scott Gibbons
01-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Thats Awesome. I bet a shotgun shell would look cool also.

Keith Christopher
01-02-2009, 9:19 AM
Now there is something you don't see everyday ! Very cool indeed.