PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble

Rick Lucrezi
12-31-2008, 8:49 PM
Couple things going weird.
1. I posted a response to quote and it never showed up. I rewrote and posted again. Still not there. I looked at my profile and clicked on all my posts and they were there. So I went in and deleted the duplicate. Went back to the site and still not there. What gives?
2. I am having trouble timing out and losing stuff. I have written a couple of articles, that were a bit lengthy, then tried to add a pic. The whole thing froze up and then I lost the article. My wife is a computer teacher so she explained time out and pic size, I tried again and it happened again. Is that me or is it something else?

Jim Becker
12-31-2008, 8:55 PM
Time-outs are generally related to the network conditions between "you" and the SMC server.

We do have restrictions on picture size. The JPG file cannot be larger than about 100kb and the recommended size in pixels shouldn't be wider than about 700 pixels so folks with small monitors are not forced to scroll to see the entire image. There is also a 5 pictures per post limit...if you need more than that, just post another reply in your thread to add 5 more, etc. Instructions for posting pictures is at the top of this Forum Technical Support Forum in a sticky message.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Rick Lucrezi
12-31-2008, 9:15 PM
Ok, on the pixel size. I was wondeing about that. I think I resized them to 300.

How about the posts not showing up?

Rick Lucrezi
12-31-2008, 9:29 PM
Hey Jim, I went back to my Thread, Mass producing cuts, and see at the top of the page where it lists who posted, I saw a line near the last 5 or 6 post that said,
"more replies past current depth...." My 2 missing posts are there. But they dont come up in the thread. Can you explain how that is? Thanks Jim Rick

Lee Koepke
01-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Hey Jim, I went back to my Thread, Mass producing cuts, and see at the top of the page where it lists who posted, I saw a line near the last 5 or 6 post that said,
"more replies past current depth...." My 2 missing posts are there. But they dont come up in the thread. Can you explain how that is? Thanks Jim Rick
its possible your settings are the issue. at the top right there is a DISPLAY OPTIONS ( or something like that ) and each of those choices show responses in a different format.

The LINEAR format, i think, shows posts in the order they are posted. One of the others kind of 'nests' them near the area you responded.

Try that and see if it helps.

Jim Becker
01-01-2009, 12:04 PM
As Lee mentions, go into your UserCP (control panel) and check your display modes. Linear will give you a chronological format that may be easier to use.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Glenn Clabo
01-01-2009, 4:53 PM
Rick,
You are set up to view the threads in Hybrid...switch to Linear and you see the difference. You can go to the "Display Modes" pulldown in the upper right of the page on the blue strip.

Rick Lucrezi
01-01-2009, 9:09 PM
Thank You Fellas, got it:)

Randy Klein
01-01-2009, 9:16 PM
We do have restrictions on picture size. The JPG file cannot be larger than about 100kb

I've noticed that I don't have to resize jpg's anymore to get under the file limit. I just upload at whatever it is (always well above 100kb) and SMC software resizes.

I don't know though if the "auto resize" is a recompression at a more lossy scale or a pixel resolution change. I've asked before but no one knew.

Scott Donley
01-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Just had to check if 100kb limit was no more.

Scott Donley
01-03-2009, 12:42 PM
We do have restrictions on picture size. The JPG file cannot be larger than about 100kb
Jim
SMC ModeratorLooks like this is no longer the case Jim. The above pic was 190kb when uploaded.
Thanks for the info Randy

Randy Klein
01-03-2009, 1:36 PM
Looks like this is no longer the case Jim. The above pic was 190kb when uploaded.
Thanks for the info Randy

The limit is still there. If you look at the pic size in your User CP, you can see it was probably resized to something under 108kB.

Jim Becker
01-03-2009, 4:01 PM
Scott, that picture is 99kb. Bring it up from this site and right click on it. Choose "Properties"...

Contributors do have the ability to upload larger Avatars.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Scott Donley
01-03-2009, 4:46 PM
Scott, that picture is 99kb. Bring it up from this site and right click on it. Choose "Properties"...

Contributors do have the ability to upload larger Avatars.

Jim
SMC ModeratorI understand that once uploaded it is resized but the uploaded pic was not. That was my point ! I have been a contributor for 3 years and always had to resize before upload. If that is a benefit of being a contributor then it is new to me. Maybe the sticky on how to upload pics should me changed to include that fact rather than put new contributors through the problem of resizing. Jim, I know about the avatars, that should be obvious, but the ability to upload a pic more than 105 kb and have the VB software do the resizing is new. Scott

Scott Donley
01-03-2009, 4:54 PM
As in this pic was 384 kb when uploaded.

Randy Klein
01-03-2009, 5:11 PM
the ability to upload a pic more than 105 kb and have the VB software do the resizing is new. Scott

I agree. But still don't know if it is a recompression or a resizing.

Scott Donley
01-03-2009, 5:27 PM
Randy, I would think it is resizing as the saved file on SMC shows it as under 110 kb. As I said, this is ether new or I never saw the change. If you go back and look at ALL the "I can't post pic's " threads, the first thing they are told is the pic has to be under 105 kb and recomend resizing software.

Randy Klein
01-03-2009, 6:05 PM
Here's (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=92807&highlight=resize) the first time I noticed it.

As far as resizing for file size it can done two ways: a JPEG recompression at a lower scale or a reduction in resolution. Of course, they can both be done.

For a hypothetical 1280X1024 pic:
- The first method will maintain that resolution but it will become more lossy that may or may not be perceptible
- The second method will keep they "lossyness" the same, but reduce the pic to say 800x600.

I guess I could test it by uploading an image of known resolution to see if it is maintained or changed.

Here's one that is originally 2189x1738 and 1314 kB and is uploaded as such.

And after uploading, the size is now: 957x760 and 104 kB. Now I need to resize the pic to the 957x760 and see what the file size is reduced to.

After having done that, the file was reduced to 114 kB. That's close enough to being equal to 104 kB once you consider that there's different algorithms doing the work.

So based upon this highly scientific experiment, it seems that the auto resizer only changes the resolution and the not the JPEG compression.

Scott Donley
01-03-2009, 6:13 PM
Man, sure wish I had seen your post (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=92807&highlight=resize) on 09/08. Sure would have made things easier. Thanks for trying :D