PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Oak bowl

Steve Campbell
12-31-2008, 7:37 PM
First off Happy new year to every one.
This morning It was -15 here in northern Wisconsin. I went out to the wood pile and grabbed a chunk of oak I've had my eye on. Brought it in the basement and cut it into bowl blank on the bandsaw. Mounted it on the lathe and it just fought me all the way. I don't turn a lot of Oak. Was it because it was frozen or is green oak just that hard to get a smooth cut on. I was using the same bowl gouge I use most of the time for roughing out. I have turned frozen Cherry a few times and can't remember having this much trouble. I would just get started with a cut and all of a sudden the gouge would start to bounce. Just couldn't seem to get it to cut smooth. I ended up doing it with a scrapper mostly.

Any ideas????????????????????

Steve

Greg Just
12-31-2008, 8:00 PM
My guess would be that the oak being green and having a high water content (ice in this case) is making it difficult to turn. I have turned a lot of oak without any problems. I would let it thaw a day or two and try again.

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2008, 8:51 PM
Have to agree that it was frozen! Next time, wrap the wood in a plastic bag so it won't lose a lot of moisture and set it aside for a day or two so it can thaw. I have all my green blanks out in the garage and temps there are close to 10* most of the time - so I have to think ahead and bring in several blanks at a time so the wood can warm up a little before turning. Give it a try and see if it doesn't make a difference!

William Bachtel
12-31-2008, 9:09 PM
I have never turned frozen Red Oak, or any Oak, but I did turn some and had the same problems you did, mine was frozen and green. I just don't like Oak, mainly because I sell tons of it. Never had trouble with any other frozen wood. It didn't give me fits or anything just more difficult. This was really curly, thats why I used it.

Jim Underwood
12-31-2008, 9:10 PM
White Oak?

If so, it's probably the end/side/end/side grain problem, and too much pressure on your bevel, plus the extreme difference in side/end grain in White Oak. Once you get a bounce started, it's going to visibly show up the farther your cut goes. And it gets bigger and bigger...

Sharp tool, good technique, and glide on the bevel. Pinch the gouge blade between fingers on the forward hand (underhand grip) and keep pressure on the finger which is opposite from the bevel side of the blade to cancel out the pressure on the bevel. (This is inside the bowl, but probably applies to outside as well.)

Wish I had a photo.

Duff Bement
12-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Wait until June and try again, if it turns better then it was just the cold wood. Glad to be able to help:D:D:D

Jeff Nicol
01-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Steve, I hope it is a very nice piece of wood! I tried the frozen oak once and needless to say it was the last time! I did not like the hrd chunks of cald wood bouncing all over and finding their way down the back of my shirt!! The frozen wood will warm up at the tool and re freeze as it spins, this puts water on the tool and ice on the wood so the have a tendancy to repel each other! The tool gets cold enough for the water to freeze and the ice in the log will just bounce against each other. I always bring a wet piece in a few days before I thnk I will get to it.

Stay warm and the wood too! More snow for you today?

Jeff

Steve Campbell
01-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Well for anyone that is still interested. I cut the other half of my oak log into a turning blank and mounted it on the lathe. It turned just fine after it thawed out.
I can't believe how much different it was. I have turned frozen Cherry before and can't remember having trouble.
Thanks for all the advise.

Steve