PDA

View Full Version : Whiteside rail/stile bit update...

David Rose
06-19-2004, 3:37 AM
Last night I tested the rail/stile replacement that Whiteside got me so quickly. The spacing was such that I had to shim it using shims from the origina set. At least the other sets that I have had were a snug fit. This one had about .015" play at all points. I felt that was excessive. "Stealing" a shim corrected that part.

From top to bottom there is enough gap to fit a .005" feeler gauge in at each vertical contact point. In other words the lower "leg" is .005" longer than the others. Ugh! The fit is better than the .025" gap that the other had, but I am not particularly happy at this point. Glue would likely fill this space, but clamping the stiles to the rails raises the edges off the table a bit. My old Bosch set does not do that nor did the poorly fitted previous Whiteside.

Oh, and the new set is burning the end of a piece of hard maple. I thought it might be feed speed so I tried that and changed cutting speeds also. Nothing seems to help. The burn is only in the thumbnail area. The original cut was on the other end of the same board and is clean as a whistle. :(

I think I'll take more pics and see if I can show them what is happening. I am not quite as happy about this as I was. One set could be a fluke. Two sets... I'm beginning to wish that the set of Bosch's at the borg were just a thumbnail cut.

David

Steve Clardy
06-19-2004, 4:16 PM
Now that's what I call a REAL BUMMER there Rose. I've never had that problem, even with the ol' El cheapo bits I used to use.
Maybe you're just not tilting yer head right er something like that.
I'll be down in Sept. to get you straightened out down there Buddy. lol
Steve

David Rose
06-19-2004, 5:35 PM
Steve, come on! I'm getting tired of trying to get things working. :confused: I guess there are seasons for that. I'm ready for this season to close.

David - tilting his head the "other" way

Now that's what I call a REAL BUMMER there Rose. I've never had that problem, even with the ol' El cheapo bits I used to use.
Maybe you're just not tilting yer head right er something like that.
I'll be down in Sept. to get you straightened out down there Buddy. lol
Steve

Steve Clardy
06-19-2004, 6:50 PM
Steve, come on! I'm getting tired of trying to get things working. :confused: I guess there are seasons for that. I'm ready for this season to close.

David - tilting his head the "other" way
Now I can fully understand that now. I have my days too. Arrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhh