PDA

View Full Version : Worth the gain doing anything with? DC blower.

Michael Weber
12-31-2008, 5:29 PM
Bought this at a farm auction a few months ago for a song and just disassembled it for inspection. The heavy cast aluminum impeller has a couple of small gouges but other than that is appears okay. It's 3 phase 2HP 220 volts labeled "Cininnnati" Dust Collection. I do have a single phase 2HP motor I could use or access to a small VFD to convert to 3 phase. The capacity rating on the fan housing is 1000CFM and the impeller is 12 inches in diameter. The inlet is 7 inches which PO has adapted down to 6 inches using plywood. I have a little Jet 650 DC with a pleated filter on top and plastic bag on the bottom. This is the Jet model DC that has the 'doughnut' mounted on the wrong side of the air intake. It seems to work okay one tool at a time but I don't have much basis for comparison. Is this impeller and housing worth messing around with for the additional 400 CFM? Should I just forget about building a homemade DC system from it and get the HF or Delta models that are rated around 1500CFM. I understand that rating is probably overstated.
The filter on the little Jet DC is 24 inches high and 14 inches in diameter. Would that be usable on a 1000 CFM DC or too small? Thanks, Mike

Chip Lindley
12-31-2008, 9:56 PM
Thats a nice 2hp centrifugal blower! Cincinnatti made some good stuff! That is same size as my Delta 2hp that sits atop a 55gal drum. Not sure which model your Jet is, but this blower would definately be worth applying to *somebodys* DC system. Perhaps atop a new cyclone separator? hmmm

Bruce Wrenn
12-31-2008, 10:00 PM
I have the 10" version of that blower. Mine has a 1.0 HP motor. I mounted it on top of my home made Wood Magazine cyclone. I just plain "love my system." I run my planer (Delta 15") on apron in front of shop. Connect planer to DC using 20' of 4" flex, and 20 feet of 4" PVC, which includes four elbows in the run. Keeps up with no problem.

Michael Weber
01-01-2009, 1:01 AM
Guess I'll have to go back to Bill Penze's website and try reading it again. Last time it gave me a headache. ;)

J.R. Rutter
01-01-2009, 1:51 AM
That is the blower that I had when I started my business. I put it on an Oneida 650 cyclone and one of their pleated filters and it worked well. That 1000 CFM is a real-world number, with filter. Great for a one-man shop with 6" runs.

Matt Meiser
01-01-2009, 9:06 AM
I have a 2HP, 12" fan Jet blower on top of an Oneida C650 cyclone which works very nicely for separating all the but the finest (i.e. drum sander) dust which tended to clog the filters quickly. I'm in a rural area with nothing downwind but fields so I started venting outside and haven't looked back.