PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal Slot Mortiser Options

Eric Commarato
12-31-2008, 3:43 PM
I was inspired by David Marks Multi-Router when his show was still airing on DIY network until I saw the price tag of $2,600. So with that is mind, I set off looking at alternate solutions. I found the same can be accomplished with a horizontal mortise table sold by Laguna, Mini Max and similar companies that sell combination machines and jointer planer combo machines. Laguna has a couple models including the one the sell with the Robland X-31 that runs about $750.00. The also have some other import models that run in the $295-400 range. Minimax seems to have the nicest beefiest looking table at about $1,200 dollars. And Grizzly sells one as well the whole unit, motor, stand at $425.00, that I've heard good things about. Since I have a floor space problem in my shop, I was interested in designing a unit that could sit in my bench and stored away when not in use. I would like to use one of the horizontal slot tables as mentioned above and figure out the design from there. If anybody here has a neat design or solution, I would like to see pictures and am open to any ideas.

Thanks, and Happy New Year,

Eric

Mike Heidrick
12-31-2008, 4:14 PM
This is not a bench top but it is the new style Laguna Platnium horiz mortiser that is $950 with stand and motor. I added the aux table and air clamps (air clamps are the JDS ones from the Multi Router at IWF in '08). I also use my Kreg clamps with the Kreg track as well.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resoh894/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/mortisertable2.jpg

Steve Rozmiarek
12-31-2008, 6:05 PM
The only attachment type I'm familier with is the Felder, and it is extreemely heavy/ackward. I use a cart to attach it to the machine, and I'm not a little guy. If you do build something be ready for substantial mass. Bench top may also be an issue, as there is a lot of moving mass on one of these with you workpiece attached. It could certainly work, just something to think about.

That Laguna that Mike has, sells stock for less then some of the attachments. Looks like Mike has tuned it up a bit;)

Personally, for the little bit of savings, I'd just buy the machine.

Michael Weber
12-31-2008, 6:44 PM
on another forum for sale. Oops, I deleted the link as I just checked and links to other forums are prohibited. The Laguna mortiser for sale is
in Tenn. PM for the link if interested. It's a Laguna evidently upgraded by the owner.

Eric Commarato
01-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the photos Mike, your Laguna setup looks great. I hear Laguna has free shipping in January, so buying something from them would be a savings.

Hope to look for more responses to my post, thank to all who have contributed so far.

Joe Scharle
01-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Years before there was a Woodrat in my shop I used this router table. After setting the stops, I could rout mortises very fast. In fact I used it a couple of months ago.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/194/HorizontalRouterHangon.jpg

Mike Heidrick
01-01-2009, 4:16 PM
Mine is the Laguna cheapy. Their LBM200 is the cat's meow! I am sure most any $3K-$4K machine would be!!

I also played with their panel master machine ($15K). That thing may have rust now from drool.

IWF is a cool playground!

If you order from them, get them to sell you some cutters at cost or something. Negotiate the sale even with free shipping - Everyone wants to sell tools in todays market. Make the salesman work. Good luck.