PDA

View Full Version : Really need a variable speed ROS?

John Finley
12-31-2008, 3:38 PM
I am looking to get a new ROS, probably the Bosch 1295. I have noticed that most new sanders are variable speed. For those of you who have a VS ROS, do you actually use anything but max speed? It kind of seems like a waste to me to run it slow, but I have not tried it out yet. What are the advantages to running less than max?

Joe Little
12-31-2008, 3:42 PM
Great question! I always wanted to know. I can't wait to see the answers.

Jason White
12-31-2008, 4:20 PM
I do, occasionally. Mostly if I'm working up against the edge of something and want to maintain as much control as possible. I do a lot of interior/exterior paint prep (with a vac attached) so I want to be careful not to gouge elaborate trim pieces, etc.

For the most part, however, I leave it on full-speed.

Jason

I am looking to get a new ROS, probably the Bosch 1295. I have noticed that most new sanders are variable speed. For those of you who have a VS ROS, do you actually use anything but max speed? It kind of seems like a waste to me to run it slow, but I have not tried it out yet. What are the advantages to running less than max?

Joe Scharle
12-31-2008, 4:49 PM
With the Festool I usually search until I find a speed that feels comfortable. It's a combination of grit and wood surface. My 150 will cut like a belt sander with 50 grit as well as polish wax. Wide range with this one.

Richard M. Wolfe
12-31-2008, 5:44 PM
I do use more than one speed, but mine could be 1) real fast and 2) real slow. The real fast I use for sanding wood. The real slow I use for knocking down nibs and leveling out base coat finishes.

glenn bradley
12-31-2008, 6:48 PM
I have a 1295 with variable speed. Like Joe S., I adjust the speed based on my actual use as opposed to any set "standard". Variable speed on my ROS is like the motorized side mirrors on my car, I could not imagine being without this feature now that I have had it.

Jeff Bratt
12-31-2008, 7:40 PM
Variable speed on an ROS - necessary - no, really nice to have - yes. I especially appreciate being able to dial back the speed for sanding between finish coats, plywood with very thin veneer faces, and on narrow edges where it give me a little more control. I actually seldom use the sander at max speed - guess it depends on what you use it for...

IMHO - variable speed sander = worth the extra $$.

John Finley
12-31-2008, 8:00 PM
Ok guys, you have sold me on it. For an extra $20, I'll take a "nice to have" any day. Thanks for the info.

Jeffrey Makiel
12-31-2008, 8:11 PM
I've been using my old Bosch RO sander for nearly 20 years and never used anything but the highest speed.
-Jeff :)

Chip Lindley
01-01-2009, 7:48 AM
I'm with Jeff. Full Speed Ahead Damn The Sawdust! I use a ROS for final sanding of flat work. It is not the tool of choice for sanding any sort of trim work IMO. So, for flat work, the object is to sand the piece ASAP. So, FAST,FASTER,FASTEST works best for me, again IMO.

Larry Edgerton
01-01-2009, 8:10 AM
I use more air than electric, and if I need it to be a little slower I just toggle the switch. Never saw the need. I have a Bosch with variable speed and I have never used it.

Ron Crusee
01-01-2009, 9:15 AM
Variable speed works great if you ever decide to sand fiberglass or other very hard materials. Slower speed lets the sandpaper bite into the surface rather than just sliding over it.

Mike Henderson
01-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I like variable speed and use it. I adjust the speed until the sander feels "good" on whatever I'm doing.

I'll also comment that I bought the PC 390 and really appreciate the brake. It was a real pain having to hold the sander until it quit spinning (on my older sanders).

In fact, the brake is as important to me as variable speed. I'd never buy another sander without it.

Mike

Wade Lippman
01-01-2009, 2:54 PM
It is pure gimmick. If you want a gentler action, use finer grit.

My Multitool has VS. Every single use recommends high speed. I have never used it except on high speed, but it is there in case they ever think of a use that needs it.