PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft in Atlanta - Moved

Ed Sallee
12-31-2008, 3:36 PM
I don't know if you know, but, Woodcraft has moved from it's Atlanta location, just west of GA400 on Holcomb Bridge Road to the shopping center on the southeast corner of Holcomb Bridge & Nesbitt Ferry. At any rate, I went there today.

Nice job Woodcraft!!! All kinds of sawdust candy in there! Nicely laid out! Wow! Ten times better than the old location. And, much more inventory!

I definitely need to schedule more "sneak away" time for my next visit....

I don't work for, nor am I associated with Woodcraft (other than loving to go there, just like everybody else)...

Richard Spain
12-31-2008, 5:14 PM
It's still a far cry from Peachtree City and I wish it were closer. Next time you go by ask if they are planning on opening a store around south Atlanta. I here the owner has the franchise for the entire area.

On a related issue the Woodcraft back home closed. That would be Charleston and I always looked forward the buying and browsing. Bummer!

David Cramer
12-31-2008, 6:07 PM
Not that this has anything to do with the Atlanta store, but it still involves the subject of Woodcraft, so what the hey.

I don't know how the individual owners make it, and I'm serious.

From my sources:D, if you are an owner in the franchise, you have to pay a percentage of every penny of every item that is sold at that store, like most franchises do.

If someone buys a power tool with a credit card and returns it, the owner is paying between 8-10% (losing:eek:!) for the transaction, depending on the percentage he or she is getting from the credit card company. Did you know that, because I didn't.

With employee wages, rent, heating and cooling, miscellaneous overhead, shrinkage (theft), etc. I truly don't know how they survive.

Three months ago we were visiting friends in Florida and stopped by a local Woodcraft. While there, I inquired as to the value of a gift card that I received prior to the trip. The people forgot to put the amount on it, so I went in and asked an employee to swipe the card. He did and in the process told me that it actually costs the store money to swip the card:eek:. I thought he was joking, but he wasn't. Why the owner would have to pay a fee for verifying the amount of a gift card is beyond me, but they do.

I patronize my Woodcraft every chance I can and will continue to do so.
I truly don't know how they make it. Even with the classes that they teach, there is still tremendous cost and overhead. I feel lucky that I live close to one and if you have the chance to buy from them, I hope you consider doing so.

Although I hope I'm wrong, unfortunately they might not be around one day to make purchases from and that would really bum me out:(.

David

p.s. Let it be known that I don't work for and have never worked at any Woodcraft, not that there's anything wrong with that!

John Thompson
12-31-2008, 9:17 PM
Was in on Tuesday, Ed. Much larger and much nicer than the other joint up the road. I really don't even bother to look any more as I really don't need anything I can afford. And having been a patron of Highland Hardware since the early 70's.. I really don't need much small stuff either. Just and odd or end here and there. That's good for me I suppose.

Sarge..