PDA

View Full Version : End Vise

Martin Heilman
12-31-2008, 3:24 PM
I am a casual woodworker and am thinking of making a dedicated bench, probally as much as for the sake of making the bench as much as using it. I have the Scott Landis book on workbenches and notice many benches have the double row of dog holes along the top. However, Scott mentiones that when using only one side on a center screw vise, it eventually becomes racked. Therefore my question: Why not put two single vises on the end, the same as located on the front, then you would have the option of using one or both, as the situation demands? I may be missing something but appreciate any comments - Thanks

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/progress.gif

Alan DuBoff
12-31-2008, 4:14 PM
Martin,

It all depends on how the bench will be positioned in the space, since having an end vise towards the rear of the bench will require that you can get back there easily enough to work in that area. It is more convenient/comfortable for most folks to work at the front of the bench, hence why the bench dogs get used in that position for most folks, yet the rear set sits idle in many cases. Depends if the bench will be against a wall, in the center of the room, etc...

There was quite a period where putting the twin screw on the end of the bench was popular, some folks seem to use that setup as a front vise, mounted on the end of their bench, working it from the end. For this orientation, that works for a lot of work, but it seems that most people that have added them do not use them to their full capability in practice, and the twin screws that are mounted on the end tend to be used less. This is not to say that some folks get a lot of use out of them, there will always be exceptions.

What type of work would you be securing with a setup like you suggest, having two separate end vises to use separately or in tandem? That is key, IMO, and if you have justification any and all various vises could work.

IOW, although I am not sure I see how you would work with 2 separate end vises, you might have legitimate reason, and that in itself can warrant the use of them.

I am an advocate for people to choose the best solution for themselves, since we all work differently. Lots of various ideas to build on from many people, take your time, study them well and come up with what will work for you. The Landis book is good, as-is the Schleining book, as is the Schwarz book. I like Schwarz's perspective the best in regards to workbench design, but there is a lot of great info in all 3 of these classic workbench books. I think the Landis book is where I first saw a Roubo style bench.

harry strasil
12-31-2008, 10:05 PM
I have 2 regular cast iron vises on one end of my present work bench, I don't have holes in the bench as the vises do not have dogs that you can raise on them, but for large projects like house doors, I screwed battens down to the plywood top and then used a board end grain up and down, with a batten screwed to the board near the top and a little thinner one at the bottom that acted like a dog when I tightened the vises, and then I laid a 2 by 4 across both of them to use as a face vise.

Like this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/saw%20bench/sawbench14.jpg

willie sobat
01-01-2009, 7:38 AM
I think the best reason to have a double set of dog holes is for flattening panels. Planing diagonally across the stock will cause it to rack between the dogs of a bench with only a single row. However, my bench has a single row and I solve the problem by clamping a block of wood to the back of the bench, then bracing the stock against that block prior to tightening the vise. If I were to do it again I would opt for the single row.

Victor Stearns
01-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Martin,
Have you considered the Vertias Twin Screw Vise? It is a little costly, but very much worth the price. I have a 3-rows of dog holes in my bench top with a matching set of holes in the vise jaw. This allows one the option of using two bench dog holes with one vise dog hole. Also the Twin Screw vise has the ability to operate each screw individually for 1-2 turns of the handles to skew the jaws if necessary. If however you only need a vise occasionally you could use two vises as Harry shows. I do think that once you choose a vise(s) you will find them indispensable.
Victor

John Schreiber
01-01-2009, 6:33 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. I'd suggest reading Christopher Schwartz Workbenches Book (http://www.amazon.com/Workbenches-Design-Construction-Popular-Woodworking/dp/1558708405/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i) to help you make your decisions about a bench.

He has some really good ideas in it.

Greg Cole
01-02-2009, 8:13 AM
Hard to offer suggestions when the OP mentions the bench build is for the sake of building and not using?:confused::eek:

Alan DuBoff
01-02-2009, 2:25 PM
Hard to offer suggestions when the OP mentions the bench build is for the sake of building and not using?:confused::eek:
Why? :confused:

I see nothing wrong with that, the OP says,

"probally as much as for the sake of making the bench as much as using it"

Building a bench is about building it, as it is about using it. Not hard to offer suggestions at all, IMO.

Jim Koepke
01-02-2009, 2:34 PM
My bench has single screw vises which both have a tendency to rack.
My solution has been to cut a lot of shims of different sizes to place in the unused side of the vise to control the racking.

What may be the perfect vise for one woodworker may be just a troublesome obstruction for another.

Holding ones work in a convenient manner is what a work bench and vises are all about.

Since everyone works on different projects and performs their work differently, then different solutions are in order.

When an old pattern makers vise is pictured, I tend to drool. How ever, when it comes to thinking about how it would enhance my wood working, I tend to scratch my head.

So, the question boils down to what type of vise will best secure the work for the operations that will take place.

With all the limitations and cussing my vises get, they actually work as well or better for most things I do than any of the other vises I am aware of.

I look at the wagon style vise and it would do some things real well, but it would be limiting on others.

In the future, a new bench may be made. If a way can be figured to put about 8 vises on it, then that will be the way it is built.

For my set up, a drill press vise is sometimes mounted to a piece of wood and then held in a wooden bench vise.

jim

so much to do, and so few vices or vises.