PDA

View Full Version : Tip for using CA glue

Brian Effinger
12-31-2008, 12:08 PM
I just wanted to post a helpful tip I (or rather my wife) discovered last night. I was trying out the CA/BLO finish recipe that is posted on the pen makers guild, and of course :rolleyes: I had to get the glue all over my fingers. My wife gave me nail polish remover to use, which didn't really work because I don't think it had acetone in it so I went to a nail file. I got a bunch off of them with that, but still had quite a bit left, and that is when she brought me a jar of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) and told me to slather it on my fingers and let it sit for a few minutes, and then wash it off. To my utter amazement :eek: it actually worked. Now I'll have to get a small jar and keep it next to my lathe. :)

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Cool... Thanks for the tip!

Dean Thomas
12-31-2008, 1:30 PM
This is a good way to get CAaccidents off your fingers, but it's not the best for leaving next to your lathe. Spend the few bucks and get the CA Debonder. Leave THAT within 24" of the headstock so that you can grab it if you suddenly find yourself bonded to something immovable (like your lathe!!). A few quick squirts and you're free. A can of acetone also works, but it's hard to open with one hand because of the stoopid safety caps. And the vaseline is only effective if it can get to the point of connection.

I have a friend (no, it was NOT me) who used to preach this message endlessly, but did not bother to heed his own advice. He was doing CA finishes on some pens and dropped the lid of the CA glue to the floor. He has the same issue that I do when it comes to bending down, a belly or "turning muscle" that gets in the way. He laid his hand down on the ways to steady himself, leaned over and picked up the cap, only to find that he was stuck to the ways because of CA spills that were unnoticed. Alas,the debonder was on his workbench, about 10 feet away, further than he wanted to try and drag his 400+ pound lathe. :eek: Fortunately his wife was home and responded quickly to his hollering. The debonder found a new home that very day.

David Walser
12-31-2008, 1:44 PM

I have a friend (no, it was NOT me) who used to preach this message endlessly, but did not bother to heed his own advice. He was doing CA finishes on some pens and dropped the lid of the CA glue to the floor. He has the same issue that I do when it comes to bending down, a belly or "turning muscle" that gets in the way. He laid his hand down on the ways to steady himself, leaned over and picked up the cap, only to find that he was stuck to the ways because of CA spills that were unnoticed. Alas,the debonder was on his workbench, about 10 feet away, further than he wanted to try and drag his 400+ pound lathe. :eek: Fortunately his wife was home and responded quickly to his hollering. The debonder found a new home that very day.

Dean, I thought we'd agreed we wouldn't talk about this incident in public...