PDA

View Full Version : Quick Release Vise

Chris Lindell
12-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Anybody ever bought the quick-release vise from Woodcraft? Specifically, this one (http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=147941&FamilyID=4939)? Price wise, it's on sale at $109 + free S&H, Lee Valley, here (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,41659&p=49980), is at $159 + $15 surcharge + free Ground S&H. So my question is if the Woodcraft vise is a good option for putting on the Schwarz' Holtzpaffel bench or if I'd be better off saving more for the Lee Valley version.

Thanks

Chris

Joe Scharle
12-31-2008, 1:03 PM
Looks like the 7" I bought from WC 2 years ago for $49.95. The action is smooth, but the quick release is STIFF on mine, but works fine.

Shawn Buonarosa
12-31-2008, 3:20 PM
I have that vise and it's a good one. The only thing I dont like is the plastic pop up, instead of a steel one.

Chris Lindell
12-31-2008, 3:33 PM
Thanks for the input guys - I went ahead and ordered it, $99.99 delivered. Found a coupon code for $10 off $100 can't beat it.

Thanks!

Alan DuBoff
12-31-2008, 5:00 PM
These are good vises, IMO, and I had bought one and took it back a few years ago, mainly because I didn't like the plastic dog in it. I ended up buying the LV Quick Release vise (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=49980&cat=1,41659), but often wish I had kept the Groz from Woodcraft. The irony is that I removed the metal dog from the LV QR vise I have...*g*

The reason is because on the Groz, there is a QR lever, similar to how the Record 52 1/2 was setup, and the LV vise has a similar setup like the Record 53, where you back the screw off to loosen it. The LV QR vise requires 2 revolutions to loosen the QR, and I think it would be easier to use the lever as the Groz has on it. My $0.02.

Larry Edgerton
12-31-2008, 6:25 PM
I have a couple of the Records that they copyed, and they still work fine after many years.

Do they design anything of their own in China?

Greg Hines, MD
12-31-2008, 7:12 PM
I got one from Woodcraft about 2 years ago for $35 during one of their anniversary sales, and it works great. Mine does have a metal dog.

Doc

Barry Nelson
12-31-2008, 8:06 PM
Highly improbable they design anything themselves,my wifes cousin owns a rubber wholesaler,who also supplies medical equipment,beds wheelchairs etc.
He is in his seventies and makes probably seven to eight trips to the east every year to source equipment.He was telling me that he only has to take plans or a prototype with him and start looking for manufacturers and within a week he will have six or seven come to him with copies of what he wants, by then the drawings blueprints are all over the joint and everyone is making the equipment.Not very high on the originality scale our oriental friends!:rolleyes:

Alan DuBoff
12-31-2008, 11:38 PM
I have a couple of the Records that they copyed, and they still work fine after many years.

Do they design anything of their own in China?
I thought the Groz was made in India/Pakistan. :rolleyes: