PDA

View Full Version : Wood

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Well yesterday a kid (yes I am 62 and he is 26 and I am his supervisor) I work with came back from his Christmas vacation in Missouri with his folks. I have turned several things for his dad and mom (she like birdhouses) since he would bring me a piece of wood or two whenever he went down there. Well he came back this time with a pickup load of Oak, Cherry, Sycamore, Dogwood, a little walnut and Cedar. I cut yesterday bowl blanks till I thought I would drop and still didn't get it all cut. Anyway I got about 20 bowl blanks out of cherry which will make great salad bowls and still have 11 logs of cherry to cut up. Some big bowl blanks out of oak. A bunch out of the sycamore and still have more to cut up. When he pulled up and said he had a load of wood I figured a couple of logs. When I saw what he had I was like a kid in a candy store. Ought to keep me busy for a day or two.

Bob Noles
12-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Bernie,

Has anyone ever told you that YOU SUCK? Well.... they have now :D

Nice haul guy!

steven carter
12-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Congrats Bernie! All that good karma you built up really paid off! Plan a little extra time with the sycamore after roughing out, it really holds the water, I guess that's why it is found in creek and river bottoms. Also not the best aroma with sycamore, but it is worth it. Looking forward to seeing the results. Happy New Year,

Steve

Don Farr
12-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Wow! What a haul. Your one lucky man. Have fun.

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Wow - Merry Christmas to you! Looks like some great wood Bernie! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Gary Herrmann
12-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Dangit, that wasn't supposed to leave the state.

Pete Jordan
12-31-2008, 1:31 PM
Wow Bernie!

I'm sure you will do the wood proud!

What is that wood with the red in the middle?

Greg Just
12-31-2008, 1:53 PM
Happy New Year! Way to go!

Jeff Nicol
12-31-2008, 2:19 PM
Bernie, If you keep that up you will catch up to me! I had to stop bringing stuff home as I have run out of space to keep things right now! But I sure would like some different woods than what I can get here in Wi. I need to take a trip to Louisiana and visit my brother in law and see what I can find! He lives in Slidell where the eye of Katrina went through, so I think there might be some thing I could use!

Keep busy and show us the relults of all your labor!

Happy new year and happy second Christmas!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2008, 4:16 PM
Wow Bernie!

I'm sure you will do the wood proud!

What is that wood with the red in the middle?

Pete that is Cedar and boy is it red. The outside or sap wood looks a little punky so we will see. The heartwood seems solid so it may get cut down for lidded boxes or birdhouses.

Skip Spaulding
12-31-2008, 4:21 PM
Nice haul Bernie, you must live right! Have a great New Year, Skip

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2008, 4:28 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. I just wish I had more time than just a weekend here or there. I also want to do a bunch of coring for nested bowls to. So hopefully will get some time especially since the countdown starts today. 365 days and counting to retirement and lots of woodturning.:D:D

Rusty Smith
12-31-2008, 4:40 PM
Dang Bernie, looks like I may need to make a trip to western Kansas to visit my new best friend !!! ;):D

David Drickhamer
12-31-2008, 5:06 PM
Congrats on the wood Bernie. If you need help turning any of that let me know. I have 9 work days until I retire. Have a Happy and Safe New Years.
Dave

robert hainstock
12-31-2008, 5:33 PM
Seriously nice haul Sir, Congrats. :):)
Bob

alex carey
12-31-2008, 6:10 PM
i am so jealous!!! Great haul, lucky you. Make sure to post some of its products.

alex

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2008, 6:48 PM
Thanks again. Yes I will post pic's. I am jealous David. 9 work days. Of course as fast as this year went it won't be long.

Jim Kountz
12-31-2008, 8:30 PM
Wow Bernie what a haul! Cant wait to see what you do with some of those blanks, looks like you're going to be a busy Bernie for a long time to come!! Way to go!!

Bill Bolen
12-31-2008, 8:35 PM
Fantastic score Bernie! I think I know a 26 year old employee who will be getting lots of extra breaks this year and probably a bowl or three...Bill...

Von Bickley
12-31-2008, 8:51 PM
It looks like somebody knows how to suck up to the boss........

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2008, 11:20 PM
Fantastic score Bernie! I think I know a 26 year old employee who will be getting lots of extra breaks this year and probably a bowl or three...Bill...

He is a good kid and one heck of a employee. I never have to tell him what to do or when to do it. He is out working 99% of the time before I get there so yea he gets more breaks than the ones who sit in the office drinking coffee till I get there and tell them what to do.

One of the pieces of cherry is going to be a full sized bird house for his mom and his dad is going to get a nice cherry Sierra pen.

Thanks again all and happy new year.