PDA

View Full Version : DP belts - how long? Powertwist Source?

Russ Filtz
06-18-2004, 8:46 PM
Buying the basic JET floor DP and want to use powertwist belts. How long are the stock belts? Any good (CHEAP) online suppliers of Powertwist besides Rockler and Amazon? Tried fleabay and no luck!

Chris Padilla
06-18-2004, 9:24 PM
I'm just going to break down and buy a bunch from Woodcraft...$6 for 1 foot I think.

Tyler Howell
06-18-2004, 10:06 PM
$5. a foot best I've seen. Pretty consistant everywhere. There was some green stuff from HF for about 4.50, very scary looking.:eek: It came pre shredded. Run don't walk away from that stuff.

Steve Clardy
06-19-2004, 9:59 AM
Last ones I bought were from Grizzly Industrial. I think the price was 19.95 for a four foot section. I'm running them on my 3hp table saw, 36" lathe, and a squirrel cage blower on my wood stove. Great belts. Steve

Russ Filtz
06-19-2004, 10:11 AM
Checked the Grizzly site, didn't know they came in 3 sizes! Anyone know what width a JET 17MF DP belts are? Checked the online manual with no luck.

Wes Bischel
06-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Russ,

The powertwist belts are segmented and can be made any length necessary - hence Chris' comment on pricing by the foot. I have used link belts on my table saw, bandsaws, and lathe. On my DP, I just replaced the original (cheap) belts with good Gates belts. Made a world of difference without the cost. You can take your belt to a good auto parts place and match the size. Any reason you want to use link type belts on your DP?

Wes

Ian MacDonald
06-19-2004, 7:24 PM
Hi Russ,

I'm using the 1/2" width belts (size A/4L) on my Jet 17" DP. I think I needed about 5 ft of belt material total for the two segments. Grizzly seems to be selling it only in 4 ft lengths so you'll probably need more than one package. (With two packages you might have enough left over for another single belt machine.)

FWIW, replacing the stock belts with the link belts made my DP run with much less vibration and noise.

Regards,

-- Ian

Russ Filtz
06-19-2004, 8:25 PM
Run to Rockler!!! I just got some 1/2" Powertwist for $4.50 a foot from their bulk stock! The 4' package were still $8 a foot though. I checked their JET DP and it uses size "B" v-belt which is 1/2". Also both belts on the DP are stamped 28" long, but when measured it was more like 29". Bought 6' just to have some extra.