PDA

View Full Version : Random Orbit vs Palm Sander

Bob Levy
12-31-2008, 5:47 AM
I have a PC 5" random orbit sander and a DeWalt quarter sheet palm sander. I've started to use the DeWalt more because of the cost of the H&L sanding disks. I had a salesman tell me that the only difference is that palm sander needs to be used "with the grain of the wood" as opposed to the disk sander.

Are there any advantages to either systems or is it just a matter of personal preference?

Thanks,
Bob

Steve Rayboy
12-31-2008, 6:04 AM
Bob,

ROS (hook & loop)
Pro:
more aggressive
ease of changing disks
variable speed

Con:
cost of disks
can't fit into corners like a square based sander can

You can reverse all of those for a 1/4 sheet sander.
My preference is my ROS, but it's good to have both. I've tried at least 4, maybe 5, major brands of ROS and to me, the best is the Ridgid 5". Besides being a very good machine, it has a long cord, and a plug with a light (so you know if you have power) and there's a sander icon on the plug, so when you want to unplug it, you know which plug it is (that helps when you have 6 power tools plugged into a power strip :)

steve

David Werkheiser
12-31-2008, 10:33 AM
A palm sander is great for sanding between finish coats using 220x-320x grits. It levels finishes, gets into corners and is not as aggressive as a ROS sander
David Werkheiser

Victor Stearns
12-31-2008, 11:53 AM
I have a PC & Bosch ROS, along with 2 palm sanders. When finishing a project we start the the ROS and finish with the palm sanders. I feel that the finish you get with a palm sander is much nicer than the ROS alone. The "scratches" left by the ROS are much more pronounced than the scratches left by the palm sander using the same grit paper. If I remember correctly the "orbits" or motion of the ROS is larger than the palms.
My vote is to continue to use both.
Victor

glenn bradley
12-31-2008, 12:06 PM
I have both and use the ROS the most. As far as paper goes; high quality, long lasting paper is not that much more than the basic stuff and lasts quite a bit longer.

Bill White
12-31-2008, 12:29 PM
PC ros and Makita 1/4 sheet palm jobby.
Bill

Joe Scharle
12-31-2008, 12:50 PM
I picked up a $9.95 1/4 sheet HF sander a few years ago on a whim. Although I only use it as a finish sander, the thing is still going!
:)

Bob Levy
12-31-2008, 1:09 PM
This is great info guys. I normally use Norton 3X sanding paper and the ROS disks cost about $0.85 each. I go through a lot of sandpaper, and the palm sandpaper costs about 1/4 that price.

I think I'm going to take the advise of using the palm sander for the finish process, 180 grit and above.

One last question...is there any other sandpaper that is as good as the Norton 3x that doesn't cost so much. I'm sure it comes down to..."you get what you pay for".

Thanks everyone!
Bob

Joe Scharle
12-31-2008, 4:54 PM
look on www.klingspor.com (http://www.klingspor.com)