PDA

View Full Version : Now this looks safe

Dave Lehnert
12-30-2008, 11:55 PM
You to can make your lathe into a table saw.
And to think I spent the money on a table saw.

http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FRW/I5MB/FNNKCT2N/FRWI5MBFNNKCT2N.MEDIUM.jpg

Bill Huber
12-31-2008, 12:00 AM
I don't think the DC would be very good.

I am sure the blade would stay cool....

Larry Browning
12-31-2008, 12:01 AM
Looks sorta like my shopsmith in tablesaw mode!

Bob Parker
12-31-2008, 12:37 AM
accident waiting to happen

Sonny Edmonds
12-31-2008, 12:41 AM
The blade looks to be on Par with the rest of it.
Burnt, dirty, and dull. :rolleyes:

Gary Breckenridge
12-31-2008, 12:44 AM
It must be the table saw with the pants cutter option.:rolleyes:

Andrew Joiner
12-31-2008, 1:01 AM
Heh Dave, How did you get a picture of my new saw?

I was just going to post a Gloat about it, but you beat me to it!

It's very safe. I retro-fitted Sawstop parts to it in case a hotdog hits the blade.

Ken Milhinch
12-31-2008, 4:50 AM
That thing could turn a lad into a lady in the blink of an eye.:confused:

Anthony Whitesell
12-31-2008, 7:19 AM
The blade looks to be on Par with the rest of it.
Burnt, dirty, and dull. :rolleyes:

But atleast it's installed in the right direction.

Gary Herrmann
12-31-2008, 7:45 AM
Oh man, I got a shiver just looking at that imagining some guy using it.

Chris Rosenberger
12-31-2008, 8:13 AM
You guys are all spoiled with your safe modern tools. That is just good old American ingenuity. Sometimes you have to make due with what you have.

Tom Godley
12-31-2008, 8:48 AM
Hay........... it has VS

My Powermatic lacks it :)

Jim Kountz
12-31-2008, 9:00 AM
My first thought was, WHY?? There are alot better ways to "rig" up a saw for cuts like that. Heck Ive used a circular saw mounted upside down to a piece of plywood on some sawhorses. Was alot safer looking than this rig!!

Sonny Edmonds
12-31-2008, 9:14 AM
You guys are all spoiled with your safe modern tools. That is just good old American ingenuity. Sometimes you have to make due with what you have.

OOPS! Spelling error there:
Sometimes you have to make Doo with what you have.
Definitely qualifies as Doo. :D LOL

Joe Trotter
12-31-2008, 9:20 AM
Maybe it is a neutering machine....

Yikes!

Mike Hess
12-31-2008, 9:31 AM
To be fair, it may be slightly safer than bolting a 3-jaw chuck to the drive arbor of a table saw. :D

Chuck Tringo
12-31-2008, 9:31 AM
I happen to think its GENIUS :eek:

Thomas Knighton
12-31-2008, 9:59 AM
Got to love a piece of equipment designed for home circumcision.:D

Chris Kennedy
12-31-2008, 10:02 AM
At least it has a zero-clearance insert.

Cheers,

Chris

Steve Rozmiarek
12-31-2008, 10:02 AM
Looks remarkably similar to a shopsmith i used to have...

Thomas Bank
12-31-2008, 10:42 AM
I agree with some of the "ingenuity" comments - but I cannot believe that the "fabricator" of this device didn't take the time to put a panel across in front of the blade.

Dewey Torres
12-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Very entertaining post!

Angus Hines
12-31-2008, 10:52 AM
My great Aunt made something similar back in the 40'-50's it was a coffee table with a motor mounted underneth and a blade attached. The only adjustments you could make was blade diameter.

We threw it out when she passed a few years back but she used it up til then and still and ten.

Rod Sheridan
12-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Oh man, I got a shiver just looking at that imagining some guy using it.

Gary, it kind of reminds me of the time I was cutting firewood at my FIL's place. He had recently had a heart attack, so I was cutting winter firewood for him.

The routine was to cut logs into 4 foot pieces, then put them on the buzz saw on the tractor. The saw has no guard, the log sits in a trough that pivots into the blade.

My sister in law was helping, she was doing the stacking of the cut lengths. Sally would get bored, and start picking up the pieces on the ground before I had shut the tractor off. I stopped her from doing it a couple of times, and I thought she understood the process.

However once more she bent over to grab the piece, and this time the saw grabbed her touque.

The touqe went around with the blade, flew off and smacked me in the face. It hit my faceshield so hard, my glasses came off and landed in the snow.

I thought the red thing that hit me was Sally's head.

Shut off the tractor, went back to the farm house white as a sheet, with Sally in tow.

Looking at that exposed blade makes me shiver 20 some years later.

Be safe..........Regards, Rod.

Craig Richmond
12-31-2008, 11:45 AM
This is actually forward thinking. You can cut wood, cut ventilation slits in your pants and get a cool breeze. Maybe you can even save money on that sex change operation you have been wanting. :D

David DeCristoforo
12-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Here's what I think is funny. This is so similar to how the Shopsmith table saw "function" is set up. But just try and get away with dissing the SS and an army of SS owners will flock to the boards to defend it. But here, somehow, not a peep! Personally, I can't see how this setup is any more or less dangerous than the SS. (I used to own an SS so I know what I'm saying here...)

Bill White
12-31-2008, 12:21 PM
BE AFRAID!! BE VERY AFRAID!!!
I wonder if it uses blade stabilizers?
Bill:eek:

Mike Henderson
12-31-2008, 12:29 PM
I wonder how he attached the blade so it would turn true. Did he make something of metal with a morse taper to fit into the headstock, or what. Any ideas?

Other than something made from metal, I could imagine turning a wooden piece with a very short stub the diameter of the hole in the blade, and the depth equal to the thickness of the blade, then using a large washer and wood screw to hold the blade on. The wooden piece could be held in a chuck.

Mike

Barry Londrigan
12-31-2008, 12:34 PM
You can see that it is meant for rrrripping (tearing jerking, severing etc) small "parts"......I wonder what he cuts with it on top of the table....

Larry Fox
12-31-2008, 12:44 PM
One word comes to mind here - dumb. Why would anyone put themselves at this type of risk to cut wood? I don't know, maybe the guy runs it from another room from behing BP-glass wearing a sute of body armor but based on the picture I would say that is unlikely. More likely is the guy just stands there cutting away waiting to get eviscerated and the only reason he has not up to this point is just plain dumb luck.

If the SS is designed that way then I think that is a dumb design also.

Mike Hess
12-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Here's what I think is funny. This is so similar to how the Shopsmith table saw "function" is set up. But just try and get away with dissing the SS and an army of SS owners will flock to the boards to defend it. But here, somehow, not a peep! Personally, I can't see how this setup is any more or less dangerous than the SS. (I used to own an SS so I know what I'm saying here...)

I think the main difference is that the Shopsmith has a blade guard, a purpose-made arbor, and a tilting/raising table. The overall geometry is similar, and I recognize that the Shopsmith table saw isn't an ideal machine, but it's far better than this rig.

John Ricci
12-31-2008, 1:02 PM
Looks like there's a new TS at the Darwin Woodworking Academy:D

J.R.

Gary Herrmann
12-31-2008, 1:22 PM
Gary, it kind of reminds me of the time...
Be safe..........Regards, Rod.

Wow. Glad it was only her hat. I used to shoot a lot. Went to the range one time and some guy had a stovepipe jam in the lane to the right of me. As I was putting my target on the clip I noticed him pointing the gun at the left wall of his station and trying rackthe slide with his finger on the trigger.

I stepped back to the wall until he was done and then packed up and went home. Mentioned it to the range master on my way out.

It's amazing how seeing, hearing or smelling something can trigger a memory and how you physically reacted.

David G Baker
12-31-2008, 1:40 PM
If you think that looks scary, take a look at the steam tractor driven belt sawmills. Three foot or larger blades, now that right there is scary.

Dave Lehnert
12-31-2008, 1:51 PM

I made the origional post AND a Shopsmith user for over 20 years. I can't even believe you see how this is just as dangerous as a Shopsmith. Your kidding right?

John Twesten IV
12-31-2008, 1:53 PM
Looks 100 times safer then this guys set up. This has been posted on this site in the past -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiJGmwyYK8k

Porter Bassett
12-31-2008, 1:59 PM
Looks 100 times safer then this guys set up. This has been posted on this site in the past -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiJGmwyYK8k
Eeek!

*runs away*

Bill Houghton
12-31-2008, 2:20 PM
Except his was open on the sides, because the saw blade ran on an arbor between centers. The top adjusted on a hinge for blade depth, and his rip fence and miter gauge both registered against the left side of the box.

Less of an issue with below-the-belt concerns, but it was a kickback waiting to happen.

Still, he did kitchen remodels and made furniture with that as his only tablesaw for years.

The lathe was homebuilt, too - all wood except for the two spindles (head and tail), some used automotive bearings, a piece of pipe and pipe flange to hold the metal toolrest, and a couple of miscellaneous bits of metal. Very good lathe.

Paul Steiner
12-31-2008, 2:58 PM
I am all about safety and these images make my blood pressure go up. I found a black and decker workbench in my father-in-law's garage that was designed to have a circular saw mounted under the bench to make a table saw. And this work bench was from the 80s. I bet there are some creekers that remember these work benches.

Darren Salyer
12-31-2008, 4:44 PM
My BIL has one of those Black and Decker benches with the circular saw mounted upside down. SCARY,SCARY thing. I won't use it.

David DeCristoforo
12-31-2008, 4:57 PM
"Your kidding right?"

Well, no, not really....

"Shopsmith has a blade guard, a purpose-made arbor, and a tilting/raising table."

None of which make it any safer (except the blade guard, assuming that it is actually used!) A "purpose made" arbor? Its just an arbor held on to the main shaft via a set screw. That doesn't worry you at all? Having the table go up and down makes it safer how? I'm not trying to say that the lathe setup is safe. Just that it is very similar in many ways to the SS. You what I wonder most? How the guy plunged the blade through the top?!?! Now that's a scary thought!

Anthony Smaldone
12-31-2008, 5:03 PM
I'll lay 10 to 1 that that thing is owned by a Rabbi.

Jeff Hallam
12-31-2008, 5:18 PM
It's very safe. I retro-fitted Sawstop parts to it in case a hotdog hits the blade.

LOL ! Yup, there's nothing worse than ripping some stock with one hand while eating your lunch with the other, and losing the hotdog to your TS.

Tom Leasure
12-31-2008, 5:30 PM
After seeing the TS - I would like to see the Band Saw
This Pic was a joke Right ???

Tom

Barry Londrigan
12-31-2008, 6:16 PM
liable to lose the wrong hot dog to that saw....