PDA

View Full Version : Lathes

Keith Horten
12-30-2008, 8:44 PM
Our 13 year old boy has gotten into turning pens. He now wants to start doing game calls.. He has been using a harbor freight lathe. We didnt know if he would stick with it or not. I see alot of people using jet mini lathes. Pennstateind.com has a Variable speed Midi lathe{Turncrafter) for 279. Everything looks just about the same as what is on the Jet . Spec and all. Is there a 170 dollars diff in them or not ? I ask because Iam no wood worker. I know nothing about it . Just wanted to see before he spends his money on one.. Thanks for the help . Keith

Bill Bolen
12-30-2008, 8:59 PM
I had the jet vs for sometime prior to upgrading and consider it top of the line for mini's . I believe that the support from the people at jet is worth the extra $$ just for the peace of mind knowing any problem big or small will be taken care of right away. Pennstate is not very responsive IMHO to any problem after they have your money...Bill..

Don Orr
12-30-2008, 9:00 PM
Keith,

I have used both of the lathes you are asking about and I feel there is a significant difference in quality, Jet being far superior in my opinion. I have had a Jet Mini Lathe for over 8 years and it has performed flawlessly. One of the turning clubs I belong to has a couple of Turncrafters. They work, but not as smoothly as the Jet. The Jet will last a long time and work very hard. The Turncrafter is of questionable quality and longevity. And you don't need the electronic variable speed option,in my opinion. The manual version where you change the drive belt to different pulleys is more than adequate and quick.

I also commend you for encouraging your son to do something creative and educational instead of sitting in front of a video game. Feel free to stop in to the Creek anytime you have questions. Maybe even give turning a try yourself. It's a lot of fun !

Bonnie Campbell
12-30-2008, 9:08 PM
I've got a PSI, not the varible speed though. I've been happy with it and any troubles I've had I've been helped by PSI without delay. One day maybe I'll step up into the big boy brands, but this'll do for a good while. And by the way, mine was bought so I could learn to make turkey calls. Must of turned at least a few hundred on it by now, besides other odds and ends.

Jim Watts
12-30-2008, 9:21 PM
Our 13 year old boy has gotten into turning pens. He now wants to start doing game calls.. He has been using a harbor freight lathe. We didnt know if he would stick with it or not. I see alot of people using jet mini lathes. Pennstateind.com has a Variable speed Midi lathe{Turncrafter) for 279. Everything looks just about the same as what is on the Jet . Spec and all. Is there a 170 dollars diff in them or not ? I ask because Iam no wood worker. I know nothing about it . Just wanted to see before he spends his money on one.. Thanks for the help . Keith

Keith - Pls check out this thread before you choose:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99387

Basically, Amazon has the Jet variable speed 10" x 14" mini for 15% off, and Jet has 2 rebates ($25, $50). As of now, the JML VSI1014 is listed for $439.86 - 15% = $373.88 - $75 = $298.88

Likewise, the 6 speed version of the same lathe (JML 1014I) is listed for $364.16 - 15% = $309.54 - $75 = $234.54.

Free Super Saver shipping is available for both.

Note that you'll have to specifically select Amazon as the seller under 'More Buying Choices' on the right side of the screen in order to get the lowest starting price (and the 15% off).

Also be advised that you'll HAVE to pull the trigger NLT tomorrow (at least for the rebates).

ROCKY D PATTON
12-30-2008, 10:13 PM
first time post on turners forum looking at the 1220vs mini lathe just starting out looking lathes the rebates ends tomorrow so i will have to make up my mind is the vs or not to do vs speed any input would be nice it is a 100.00 price differents

Keith Horten
12-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Mr Watts with the prices like that the Jet seems to be the way to go .. Ill get it ordered . Thanks for the help. Mrs Campbell we may have to give you a yell and see how you make your calls. Thanks again for the help guys & gals .. Keith

Jeff Nicol
12-31-2008, 6:38 AM
Rocky, If you are just getting started, it is always said buy the best you can afford at the time! I started out with a $250 generic 12 x 36 lathe. The same casting was used on Jet, Grizzly, and harbor freight lathes. It had a reeves drive for speed changes and it worked fine. But now I have it and it has been retrofitted with a new motor and infinite variable speed. I have a 3520b Powermatic and a new Steel City mini lathe. All my lathes have variable speed and I can't live with out it! So for a few more bucks I would get a VS model. Just IMHO!

Good luck with your choice and more tools and acessories will follow!

Happy New Year!
Jeff

Gordon Thompson
12-31-2008, 8:48 AM
Keith - Pls check out this thread before you choose:

Likewise, the 6 speed version of the same lathe (JML 1014I) is listed for $364.16 - 15% = $309.54 - $75 = $234.54.

Hi - My name is Gordon, and I am going to be new to wood turning.

I had a PSI turncrafter on order, but after reading your post last nite, I cancelled that order and jumped on the Jet. Delivery isn't slated till the end of January, so I will be lurking and reading up as much as possible.

Thanks for your post, I really appreciated this info

Alan Trout
12-31-2008, 10:23 AM
I have the VS model of the Turncrafter Pro. It has been a very good lathe and is my pen lathe. I turned 4 pens on it last night. I have used the Jet, and the Turncrafter Pro, and in my experiance the quality is very similar. The one difference is that the Turncrafter Pro has an extra 4 inches of center distance. Mine is very smooth, and power is adequate for task at hand. It is the same for the other 1/2hp DC motor lathes. I think when I got mine I paid $239 on Amazon with free shipping. A good value in my book.

Far as VS goes I would not have a pen lathe without it. It is not needed for most operations however when applying CA/BLO finish I feel it is a must. I did a CA finish for a demo at our pen club meeting. All they had was a standard Jet mini. Changing belts is a pain when doing a CA finish.

If I were to upgrade my mini I would find a used 1018 or 1224 Oneway, a Vicmarc VL100 or a Beaver or the likes. There is a definate quality difference there.

The Jet is a good lathe, so is the PSI and having used both I cannot say that there is more than $200 difference. I would also see if there are any of the Steel City VS lathes left. I know several pen turners that have the VS model and love them. I think they can be had for about $239 and Steel City as a great customer service repuation as well.

Good Luck

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2008, 10:50 AM
first time post on turners forum looking at the 1220vs mini lathe just starting out looking lathes the rebates ends tomorrow so i will have to make up my mind is the vs or not to do vs speed any input would be nice it is a 100.00 price differents

Rocky I just got my Jet 1220 VS and love it. I also have the Rikon but the VS is so nice. The lathe is quiet and smooth. Worth the extra money? In my mind yes.

Randy Schaffer
12-31-2008, 4:27 PM
I was pretty much in the same quandry on my first lathe purchase. I started out thinking about the Carbo-Tec from PSI then went to the Rikon 70-100, and finally laid out the cash on a Jet 1220 VS after much discussion here. My lathe is still somewhere between Tennesse and Seattle, but I feel I made a good choice upgrading to the larger variable speed Jet. I bought mine just before Christmas to qualify for the $75 in rebates which made at least some of the costs of upgrading a bit easier.

Good luck.

ROCKY D PATTON
12-31-2008, 10:34 PM
well i pull the tigger and got the 1220vs lathe and got the work sharp sharpener ws3000 i need the sharpener any way so this was a good time to get it too thanks for all the input

Greg Just
01-01-2009, 9:40 AM
Keith:

Rockler just put a Wilton Mini Lathe on sale for $99.99. They even have an offer for free shipping through Sunday. I don't know anything about the lathe, but for $100 it's a pretty good deal

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21439&utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=V9729&ref_id=6431&ref_t=Z&originid=69147437

Scott Lux
01-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Wilton Mini Lathe on sale for $99.99

I have that lathe and recommend it. It lacks a couple of features (hand wheel at either end). But it is a great pen lathe. It is underpowered, but I expected that. I actually consider it a benefit. It kept me from trying to hog too much off at once and taught me a light touch.
I have made at least 70 pens, 80 stoppers, 10 small cups/bowls/toothpick holders, and dozens of mushrooms on it. All that in less than two years.
The VS on it is rock solid, and has caused me no problems. The low speed is a little fast for sanding, but with a light touch it works out.

Over all, I think it's a great pen/stopper/small bowl lathe!

Lux

Shane Nyvall
01-01-2009, 10:53 AM
I have the Jet mini variable speed and I love it. Just bit the bullet and get him a PM (and if he does not like it you can send it to me).:)

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2009, 11:31 AM
well i pull the tigger and got the 1220vs lathe and got the work sharp sharpener ws3000 i need the sharpener any way so this was a good time to get it too thanks for all the input

Congrats Rocky. You are going to love that lathe. Looks like you are on your way.

Happy New Year.