PDA

View Full Version : When it's the right time a place in heaven is there for Jr Strasil and those like him

Paul Bent
12-30-2008, 6:35 PM
Hello all. I'm a long time lurker and rare poster who has learned many a thing visiting this message board. Lately I've become rather enamored with the "quiet" available when the tools are tailess and I decided to learn about hand saws. As such, I pm'ed Jr (whom lives reasonabley close by) with some questions and before I could shake a stick, I was visiting his basement workshop and learning about handsaws.

To say the man is ingenious is selling him short. He has some of the neatest jigs and tool improvements that he has made. It was rather like visiting a woodworking mad scientist's laboratory. :D My 10 year old daughter joined me for the visit with him and she couldn't stop with the questions on the way home.

I learned quite a bit today and he didn't make to much fun of my sawing technique ( or lack thereof ) and then he gifted me with some saws to use and learn with. After I've dulled them up he has promised to teach me about the sharpening phase. Wouldn't take a penny from me yet shared his morning and knowledge. I'm used to paying my own way so I was humbled with his generosity to a stranger. He truly does pay it forward.

Jr... thanks

Jack Camillo
12-30-2008, 6:54 PM
Dang, dude, you scared me with the title of that post - appeared as though Harry Strasil passed away. Jr, glad you're still kicking!

Bruce Page
12-30-2008, 7:00 PM
Dang, dude, you scared me with the title of that post - appeared as though Harry Strasil passed away. Jr, glad you're still kicking!
I had the same thought.:eek:
Harry is equally generous with sharing his vast knowledge here too.

Dewey Torres
12-30-2008, 7:03 PM
Me too... how about changing it?

Dave Anderson NH
12-30-2008, 7:11 PM
Welcome to the quiet side Paul. As a general rule, I've yet to meet any hand tool woodworker (or the other kind:D) who wasn't open and generous in giving help and advice to others. There is something about our obses/// hobby that engenders enthusiasm and a spirit of sharing. Junior and many other give unstintingly of their time and knowledge with the main reward being a smile on the recipients face. Perhaps it's because we all enjoy not only the company of others, but being with others who share our interests.

harry strasil
12-30-2008, 10:44 PM
It was a way to get rid of some of my excess saws, a person can only use one at a time and them old Disstons were made to use, not collect dust. Paul will treat them well I am sure.

Don C Peterson
12-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Man I totally agree with the gist of your post, but like the others my heart kind of skipped a beat when I read the subject line...

Jr. is always interesting to talk to and in addition to woodworking, he's equally generous in sharing his knowledge of blacksmithing.

harry strasil
12-31-2008, 12:23 AM
OOOPS, no date yet, and I don't plan on informing the Monument Co. of this thread, them guys like a good joke too well. LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/odd/stone1.jpg

Alan DuBoff
12-31-2008, 1:13 AM
Now that is one lapping plate! ;)

Your just about 2 months older than my table saw (http://www.softorchestra.com/woodworking/tools/ya-g89/). :rolleyes:

Jim Koepke
12-31-2008, 3:53 AM
I have also learned a lot from reading Junior's posts. It was after learning a few things from lurking that I decided it was worth a contribution.

The title did give me a shock though.

jim

Mike Cutler
12-31-2008, 5:22 AM
Paul
Welcome to Sawmill Creek. You're right about Jr., he's got a lot of cool tips and tricks, jigs and fixtures that he's shared with us. I'm certain he'll teach you some things it may take awhile to absorb.

Hiawatha Kansas huh? My mom and her family moved from Hiawatha to Los Angeles when she was a kid.

Glad to see you're still with us Harry. ;)

Paul Bent
12-31-2008, 7:47 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I found it kind of funny that my keyboard was attempting to kill him off. I always thought that you had to use the words "condolences to the family" or some such, for it to be official.

I did appreciate what he did.

Ken Werner
12-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Jr. I am glad that the rumors of your passing were exaggerated, to steal Mark Twain's line. And I certainly hope that your forge stays warm for a good many more years.

All the best -
Ken

Can a mod do us Jr. fans a favor and edit the title please? One of us is going to get ill with sadness.....until we read the whole orig. post.

Bob Easton
01-11-2009, 8:26 PM
... I was humbled with his generosity to a stranger. ...

Hear here! I too sing the praises of Jr. He answered one of my questions about resawing lumber with far more detail than one might expect, and with an offer to loan me the right saw. (see: http://sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=964609&postcount=21) I'm sure it took quite awhile to compose that long answer and I really appreciate it. His advice was perfect, as have been many of the other tips I've learned from him.

I'm looking forward to reading more from Jr for quite a long time.