PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 12" Jointer

Louis Rucci
12-30-2008, 1:04 PM
I'm looking at the G0609X 12" Jointer w/ Spiral Cutterhead and G9860ZX 12" Z Series Jointer w/ Spiral Cutterhead .

Since one is $2000.00 more than the other, I need to decide before the promotion ends tomorrow. Sorry for the short notice.

I'm just starting out and would like some opinions if the G0609X model would be sufficient for my needs. Besides the table differences, is there any major advantage of the "Z" series over the other?

Thanks,

Louis

Kevin Groenke
12-30-2008, 5:25 PM
We've had an 0609X for a bit over a year. We installed the BYRD Shelix head about 4 months after purchase. We've run several 100 bdft of various hardwoods through the machine without issue. The parallelogram tables are easy to adjust, the spiral head is quiet, cuts well regardless of figure/grain and the cutters are way easy to change. I really can't see differences in the "ULTIMATE" that justify the price being nearly double.

-kg

Ron Williams
12-30-2008, 5:32 PM
I own the G9860ZX and absolutely love it you will not regret buying this machine. I went from and 8" powermatic to the griz

Tom Leasure
12-30-2008, 6:08 PM
Louis,
I am looking at the Griz 12" jointers as well - I have noticed the ad for the 609 doesn't say " made in an ISO 9001 factory " and the 9860ZX does :confused:
Does anybody know if this makes a difference ??

Tom

John Bush
12-30-2008, 6:10 PM
Hi Louis,
I have the 609X and am very happy with it. I have also seen the 9860ZX at the showroom and it is an impressive machine. I'm not sure what the ZX can do that the 609X can't do, maybe there is a difference if you were doing major volumes of flattening. I surfaced several hundred bdft of mahog., purpleheart, bloodwood, most with squirrely grain and it worked flawlessly. I think you would find the 609X would do all you need it to do, and more, without spending the extra bucks for the ZX. JCB.

Louis Rucci
12-31-2008, 11:35 AM
I want to thank everyone who responded to my question.

I just ordered their G0609 and the Shelix head with extra bearings an hour ago. I was contemplating the G0690X but hesitated after realizing that the spiral cutter head wasn't what I really wanted. The cutterhead that comes with it is similar to H7591

Spent some time on the phone with Customer support and he recommended I purchase the standard G0609 with Shelix head (H9291) and bearings. I have to swap the cutterhead, customer support can't do it for me. :( Total price was $2215, not counting shipping.

I think I'll be very pleased with this purchase.