PDA

View Full Version : I now know how it feels

Dahl Troy Perry
12-30-2008, 12:28 PM
I now know how it feels when the peice blows apart and takes out the lights and the bulbs come down on your head. I'd glued up three peices to turn after the second one came apart I thru the 3rd one in the trash with out trying. Not hurt just have that pucker factor when I turn on the lathe now. Have two walnut and two maple roughed and in DNA. Well time to go back to the shop can't stop playing now not out of wood yet. If I do run out there is 25 acres of trees behind the house.

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Dahl - glad you are OK! Exploding turnings can get real exciting in a hurry! I just put a large maple blank on the lathe and noticed a crack on it - before I turned on the lathe. Grabbed a chisel and mallet and managed to remove a 14" x 3" chunk. Closer inspection shows more cracks - but I may be able to remove them in the process of roughing it out. Course, the whole time I will be listening for the click, click, click! Exciting hobby!!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2008, 1:30 PM
Yep it happens and makes things real exciting. Glad you are ok. Now it is time to get back to turning.

robert hainstock
12-30-2008, 1:43 PM
scary things happen t0o Good people. Glad you're all right.:eek::eek:
Bob

Larry Marley
12-30-2008, 7:17 PM
I always thought the cage for my (notice I did not say On my) 3520b was stupid. I am hearing a lot more exploding bowl stories than I like...
I may try it out on the next large bowl.

Keith Christopher
12-30-2008, 9:04 PM
Troy,

Glad you are alright. I know how it feels I had one a few years ago. was amazing to me how is sounded and that it was scattered across my shop in a milli second.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40206