PDA

View Full Version : Scratched/Galled Drive Spur

Rick Prosser
12-30-2008, 12:21 PM
I recently noticed that my drive spur and the inside of my headstock spindle (I think that is what it is called) have a groove scratched around - about 1/2 way down the length. :mad: It is not very deep, but I can feel it. I usually check that the spur is clean before I insert, but something :confused: must have gotten in there.

How bad does this have to be before it is a problem?
Is there any easy fix? Should I just leave it as-is?
I can replace the spur easily, but I don't know about the headstock spindle.

I am afraid to try and sand it out - the taper would be deformed.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/reprosser/Woodturning/galledspindleW.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/reprosser/Woodturning/galledspurW.jpg

Alan Trout
12-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Rick, if the galling is bad enough you may need to get from a machine tool supply house a morse taper finish reamer. If it is not very bad and just needs a light clean up you can use a little fine wet or dry paper with a little lubricant on the paper. Say 400 grit or so. Also to prevent it in the future I know both Craft Supplies and Packard both sell taper cleaners to keep your spindle and tail stock tapers clean.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Don Orr
12-30-2008, 9:47 PM
I had the same thing happen. I bought a #2 Morse taper reamer from Enco and fixed the inside of the headstock spindle(you used the correct term). I placed the reamer gently in the spindle and brought up the tailcenter so the point was in the dimple in the end of the reamer. I rotated the spindle by hand slowly and gently advanced the tail slightly. It only took a minute or 2. Huge difference. I just simply filed the gall off the spur center carefully. It's not rocket science. That's one of the reasons there are #2 Morse taper reamers.:D Stuff happens.

Rick Prosser
12-30-2008, 11:53 PM
I added photos to original post (see above)

Alan Trout
12-31-2008, 12:56 AM
Rick, I think I would get a reamer. I would just toss the drive center and get another one if it was me. That is pretty cheap.

Good Luck

Alan

Jeff Nicol
12-31-2008, 6:25 AM
Rick, Most times this happens is if the speed is high and if you get a catch. The metal on metal of the spindle and spur center is just friction and with to much pressure on the tailstock and if the taper is not making good contact with the spindle. Something has got to give. Just like on a drill bit in your drill, when it catches at high speed and the chuck spins on the bit, the bit gauls. So like already said a reamer and one of the inside taper cleaners that are out there are good investments.

Keep on spinning the wood!

Happy New Year!

Jeff

Don Orr
12-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Rick,

you should be fine if you ream it out carefully as I described before. You need to use the tail center to make sure you have the reamer centered in the spindle-very important. You don't want to make the spindle socket out of round or true. But now that you have a groove on the inside of the spindle, it will be extra important to keep it very clean to prevent future galling. And don't ditch your spur drive-clean it up and use it. I've done it many times. You should see some of the used MT drill bits I use-they don't have to be perfect to seat properly. Some MT drills even have a flat ground the whole length of the taper. We're not doing high tolerance metal machining here. Were working a natural material that moves on its own all the time.

Dean Thomas
12-31-2008, 2:35 PM
Hey Rick,

You might want to check with your local stores that sell lathes and other machine tools. They might well HAVE a reamer that they'd loan or rent.

Woodcraft or other stores that sell and do minor service/tune-up might also have a reamer at their disposal.

And some clubs that have their own machines and space often have some specialized tools, too.

Just a thought or three.

Rick Prosser
01-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I will find/borrow/rent/buy a reamer to clean up the spindle.

How do I clean up the spur? Sand/file down any sharp edges and leave the deep scratches?

robert hainstock
01-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Rick,
I just clamp the piece between vise jaws, (pointy end up against a block of wood and use a 1" strip of emory. and a file to remove the burr trying not to remove or alter the original profile. GOOD LUCK ! :)
Bob

robert hainstock
01-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Lubricate the emory with a dash of oil.
Bobb