PDA

View Full Version : So much wood, so little time

Matt Newton
12-30-2008, 10:54 AM
With the ice storm this month came a whole lot of green crotch wood for turning. :D I'm very new at this and also very impatient.:rolleyes: I've figured out how to get the bowl blanks out of the pieces, and i've roughed out a couple of bowls (both cherry). Now how do I dry them? How long do they have to soak in dna? Or am I better off leaving them to dry by themselves. I plan to give them to my neighbors who helped us out during the power outage.

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2008, 1:42 PM
Matt check this out. Dave Smith is the authority on DNA drying. By the way most woods I soak a minimum of 48 hrs and fruit wood such as cherry, apple, walnut, etc. I soak 72 hrs or more. I have left them for 5 or 6 days with no ill effects.

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_473.shtml

Matt Newton
12-30-2008, 3:32 PM
Thanks Bernie. That article is just what I was looking for. I'll be sure to take some pictures when they are done and post them.

Wyatt Holm
12-30-2008, 8:15 PM
I don't use the dna process. I simply rough turn them with about 10 percent wall thickness, coat them in greenwood sealer( such as achorseal). Then I let them dry for at least six months. It works fine for me.