PDA

View Full Version : 6 X 48/disk Sanders

Dan Henry
06-18-2004, 2:04 PM
I am looking to buy a new 6 X 48/ disk sander. Am Woodworker did a reviw of these the sanders and the Bridgewood can out on top. Does any one have one of the sanders and what do you think about it, good or bad. I was suprised to see it has 2 1/2 inch dust port and the rated it excellent for dust collection.

Dan Hney

Steven Wilson
06-18-2004, 2:32 PM
I was at the tool test for the American Woodworker article and the Bridgewood was really a great choice for a lower end 6x48 belt - 12" disk sander. It had a very decent design of the platten, tracking adjustment, support tables, and guards; all around a nice unit. The X5 Delta was IMHO a worthless piece of junk as the dust collection on the disk was non existant. As for others I also liked the cheap Grizzly (not the more expensive one) as it was easy to change belts and the cutting speed was decent. The Jet with the circle cutting attachment is dangerous. Having that slot milled in the support table makes supporting small pieces a joke - it could really do damage to your fingers. I would either buy the Bridgewood or spend more bucks and get the big Jet with the enclosed base ($850)

Jim Becker
06-18-2004, 10:08 PM
I have and like the Grizzly G1276 1725 rpm 6"x48" belt/12" disk sander. It's a "stout" machine and works very well. That said, if I were buying again, it would be an edge sander as I have yet to use the disk in my work. (other than once when it was merely for convenience of not having to move the machine to do a quick reshaping of a small part) In other words, I just use the belt and an edge sander would be easier for me.