PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using something better than Outlook for mail???

Mitchell Andrus
12-30-2008, 9:46 AM
I'm tired of the hassle. It rarely follows the 'rules' for filtering and more often than not I'm moving mail into my inbox rather than out of it. It's sometime hit or miss for applying my sig...

I'd rather not use my Gmail account for business.

Is there a 'Better Outlook'?

David G Baker
12-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Yahoo has worked very well for me for over 10 years but it is similar to Gmail. I had Outlook for a while but had problems with it so I dumped it after several trys at fixing the problems.
Most ISPs provide e-mail service if you are concerned about the e-mail address looking generic.
I do my composition in Word then e-mail through Yahoo.

Larry Browning
12-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Mozilla Thunderbird. It is email only though. No, calandar, task list manager, etc. But email is great! Best of all it is open source and FREE. It is from the folks who do Firefox.

Thomas Bank
12-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Another vote for Thunderbird - I'm forced to use a PC at work (OSX Mail at home) and quickly ditched Outlook due to frustration.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

There are a few things I wished that it did better, but nothing can be perfect for everyone.

Frank Hagan
12-30-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm tired of the hassle. It rarely follows the 'rules' for filtering and more often than not I'm moving mail into my inbox rather than out of it. It's sometime hit or miss for applying my sig...

I'd rather not use my Gmail account for business.

Is there a 'Better Outlook'?

I also use Thunderbird, which has pretty good email filtering by itself, but route all my email, from all accounts, through Gmail. Google applies their superior (IMO) junk mail filtering to all messages. You can set Gmail to route the mail, maintaining the Reply-to header so that it looks like it comes from your ISP or domain mail server.

Duane McGuire
12-30-2008, 10:34 AM
You obviously know that Gmail is wonderful. There are a number of options for using Gmail but presenting a more professional image in your email address. I use Googles "apps for domains": http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/index.html

Thus I can have multiple accounts within my own domain (duanemcguire.com). The outside world doesn't know I'm using gmail, but I have all the advantages of gmail in my world.

Kevin Arceneaux
12-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Another Thunderbird user. Easy to use. I just got my computer at the new job and was informed by the IT folks that due to the way their email is set-up I cannot use it. Though they did let me install Firefox.

Chuck Wintle
12-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Ditto for Thunderbird here. was using Outlook for a long time but quickly found out thunderbird works a lot better.

Jerome Hanby
12-30-2008, 11:46 AM
I used Eudora for years. Finally bit the bullet and switched to GMAIL just to avoid all the hassles of future potential moves and ISP changes. These days every email program I touch seems inferior compared to GMAIL.

Scott Shepherd
12-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Thunderbird as well. Works very well.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Thunderbird

Outlook poses a constant vulnerability to attack online

Roger Fournier
12-30-2008, 1:40 PM
Another Thunderbird user here. I use it both at home and at work. Not a lot of bells and whistles but it works VERY well.

glenn bradley
12-30-2008, 2:30 PM
Another Thunderbird user. I use it to front-end the Oracle suite but it seems to work well with many products.

P.s. I have worked one place that had a good Exchange/Outlook implementation but we had a team of 5 that did nothing else but administer it. I wish it worked that way on its own.

Eric DeSilva
12-30-2008, 3:23 PM
I also use Thunderbird, which has pretty good email filtering by itself, but route all my email, from all accounts, through Gmail. Google applies their superior (IMO) junk mail filtering to all messages. You can set Gmail to route the mail, maintaining the Reply-to header so that it looks like it comes from your ISP or domain mail server.

+1 on thunderbird and
+1 on letting Gmail do your filtering

I was pretty happy with Thunderbird's filtering for my non-biz account, but when I got an iphone, it didn't have junk email filtering and my phone was continually junked up with spam. I ended up setting up a Gmail account, having it pull the mail off my pop3 server, and set it up so everything looks like it comes in and out of my other account. Works like a charm, although I do occasionally have to go to the pop3 server w/Tbird and delete all the junk.

Dennis Peacock
12-30-2008, 5:09 PM
I'm using Windows Live Mail and like it a lot better than Outsnook...I mean Outlook. :rolleyes:

Steve Vaughn
12-30-2008, 5:13 PM
Thunderbird for family and friends.
Yahoo for all others. Yahoo also comes in handy when I switch ISP's.

:D

Steve

Tim Morton
12-30-2008, 5:34 PM
I'm using "Mail":cool:

Steve Vaughn
12-30-2008, 6:19 PM

You mean where you have to get out of your chair? Man, that's rough.

:)

Steve

Tim Morton
12-30-2008, 6:29 PM
You mean where you have to get out of your chair? Man, that's rough.

:)

Steve

no....OSX "mail":)

Mitchell Andrus
12-30-2008, 7:37 PM
Apple guy, HUH???

Eric Franklin
12-30-2008, 7:51 PM
Another "Mail" user.

John Shuk
12-30-2008, 9:11 PM

Hey...Me too!

Jim Becker
12-30-2008, 9:12 PM
Thunderbird has been my email client for about two years now.

Steve Vaughn
12-31-2008, 12:47 AM
no....OSX "mail":)

Whew! That was close.

:D

Steve

Peter Luch
12-31-2008, 2:31 AM
Thunderbird = excellent

jay benco
12-31-2008, 2:47 AM
Thunderbird = excellent

I agree.

I use the add on "Lightning (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/)" for a calendar in Thunderbird. I don't know if this is comparable to outlook though.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/

Scott Shepherd
12-31-2008, 7:52 AM
I also use Lightning as an add on as well. I like it. It's simple, easy to use, and it works.

Chuck Stewart
01-01-2009, 12:12 PM
C,mon now, Microsoft Outlook is the only software they got right...simple...easy to use...no advertisements...people always asking me how I get my pictures into the e-mail without having to use attachment...simply put the cursor in the message body,hit insert-picture then hit enter drops cursor for next picture....been using it for years and just recently added G-Mail just for a garbage can to give those that might send me advertisements.And as far as vulnerability...nothing gets past my Zone Alarm....right???

Chuck Stewart
01-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Let me clarify...that's I love "Microsoft Outlook Express", not that nasty "Microsoft Office Outlook"

Jeff Wright
01-01-2009, 1:18 PM
I recently shut down my Outlook email after using for MANY years. I replaced it with Google's email solution. I much prefer it over my old Outlook. I do have some concerns about its storage limit however. I safe many emails as a record or resource for future use. While the storage limit is VERY generous, someday the limit will restrict me or force me to delete old stuff.

Don Bergren
01-01-2009, 3:39 PM
I've used Pegasus Mail for the last 12 years. I love it for the filtering capabilities because there are so many ways to filter and manage e-mail with it. With the filters setup correctly I don't have to read through junk mail, and my wanted mail arrives in my In Box.

I use Pegasus to sort my mail, sort my folders, color code my incoming mail based on what it is, and sooooo much more.

For example, if I let my legit mail accumulate in my In Box I simply make a few clicks and a filter sorts the mail and deposits it into mail folders with the names of the various senders. This is handy when I have a gazillion accumulated emails from Jim, Joan, Nancy, George, Greg, Julie, etc. A few clicks and I can file 5 different people, or 50 different people. Or I can set it to file them automatically each time I close the New Mail folder.

Lets say that I've created a Sketchup file I'm willing to share with folks. To receive the file I instruct them to send me an email with Send Sketchup File in the subject line. When an e-mail comes in with Send Sketchup File as the subject, Pegasus Mail processes that message, creates a reply with the file attached and sends it, then files the incoming and outgoing emails into a specifed folder. This is done with no intervention by me.

And it does lots more...... :cool:

John Schreiber
01-01-2009, 6:01 PM
I do everything on Gmail now, but I have it set up to use my own domain name rather than gmail.com, so it doesn't look generic to others.

It does scare me a little to be beholden to Google, but their products work better than anything else I know.

I just checked and Gmail is still "beta". After all these years, what could that mean? Will it ever be official? Could they tell us that it's now ready for final release, please pay up so you will have access to your archives? A little frightening.