PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Palm Router

Rick Lucrezi
12-30-2008, 9:25 AM
Went to the pawn shop, (lot of good deals these days) and I saw a Bosch palm router on a table with a sing for half off everything. The tag on the router said 60 bucks. It's a new router so for 30 bucks its a smoking deal. I told the cashier I picked it up off the half off table and he told me it was probebly a mistake. I figured it would be a nice addition to my shop but not for 60 bucks, so the cashier relents to let me have it for the 30 bucks. I am happy, take it home, plug it in and its really loud. Sounds and feels like a brng. out. I took it apart and sure enough the bearing at the end of the cutter is shot. Picked up a new bearing for 9 bucks and its like new. So I ended up with a 100 dollar router for 39 bucks and a half hours work. My christmas gift to myself.;)

Richard Magbanua
12-30-2008, 9:50 AM
If it's the Colt router I intended to say, "you suck". However, since you had to fix it I'll just say, "congratulations!". Awesome find, but even more awesome figuring out the problem and fixing it yourself!

Rick Lucrezi
12-30-2008, 9:09 PM
It is the colt Richard. What a little power house. I used it today, I really like it. Its a great one handed tool. Pros and cons to that but this is light enough where I feel pretty safe. (famous last words:().

Joe Chritz
12-30-2008, 9:32 PM
I love the colt, even at retail, at your cost it is a steal.

Joe

Larry Edgerton
12-31-2008, 8:29 AM
I have been looking at them for a replacement for the PC 310 that Dewalt in their infinite wisdom has discontinued. I really like a round base though, and the one I looked at had a square base. If you burn it up again, give me a holler......

We have no pawn shops around here....:(

Rick Lucrezi
12-31-2008, 10:15 AM
some pretty amazing tool prices. I saw a newer senco finish stapler for 70 bucks. Its just personal but I dont buy senco. If it were Hitachi, it would of found a home in my shop:D

Dewey Torres
12-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Rick,
If you are anything like me, you will soon be grabbing the colt more than any of your other routers.

Jay Yoder
12-31-2008, 6:02 PM
What a steal! And you found the bearing too? Congrats! I like my Colt, but not for everything. It is a little powerhouse and is great for edge treatments especially!

Bill Houghton
12-31-2008, 6:10 PM
I own two, both used - the original Ryobi, back when they used a real collet and metal body; and a P-C Model 310 ($20, but it came with the tilting base so I had to buy a regular base - still 2/3 the price of a new one). I turn to them frequently and often.

Rick Lucrezi
12-31-2008, 7:34 PM
Well, for you colt owners, some info. The bearing at the collet is a 6002 rbs. It is a very common bearing, and can be found in many hardware stores. Problem is, the bearings depending on quality are rated as low as 15,000 rpm to the better quality at 25,000 rpm. I looked up the specs on the tool and it turns 35,000 rpms. SO my guess is the tool was built using an inexpensive, and commonly available bearing which was not rated for the tool. I am not that surprised. I found some drywall dust in it which means it was probebly used by a drywall guy and running for extended periods. For typical shop use it is probebly fine. I like it, and do plan to grab it first for small quick jobs. I do alot of decks, and I always bevel the ends to a small 45 and I get a cut station going where I cut and router many boards at a time. It is alot easier to get into a production groove when you can operate tools one handed. We wont go into the safety issues. In fact I will post a story about some injuries just to let you all know that I do understand the importance of safety.