PDA

View Full Version : The great Sears drill press debacle

Ralph Wiggum
12-30-2008, 9:00 AM
I like many tried to get one of the 17 inch drill presses last year when Sears put them on sale. Our local store only had the floor model, so I had to order one. I paid for it in full, and was told I would get it in a couple of weeks. Well a week or so later I get a letter saying it was all a big mistake and they would not honor the sale, along with a check refunding my money.
Well imagine my surprise last night when I get home and find a letter in my mail box from Sears trying to sell me a extended warranty on the very same drill press....I know it was a computer generated letter, from some database who knows where, but talk about pouring salt in a old wound.

R.W. who no longer shops at Sears

John Keeton
12-30-2008, 9:30 AM
R.W. who no longer shops at Sears
Ralph, wise decision! There are other threads on the creek regarding the customer service, or lack thereof, with Sears, and I have my own personal history that lead me to the same conclusion. Sorry about your experience, though. The real question - did you end up getting a drill press? What kind?

Wade Lippman
12-30-2008, 9:35 AM
I even got an email from Sears saying my drillpress was ready for backup. I went in and, after waiting 2 hours, was told that it wasn't ready and probably never would be. HOWEVER they would cancel my internet order and place a store order for the same thing. The first one that came in would be mine. A month later they called and said they were canceling that order too. But, they appreciated my patience and knew I was being treated poorly; they would make it up to me. I never heard from then again.

Haven't shopped at Sears again either. I don't even look at their supplements. I got an offer of an extended warranty on something last week; but since I hadn't bought anything from them I threw it out without reading it. Must have been the drill press.

(Well, thats not quite true; I DID buy a Bosch 1617 from them on closeout for $40. That doesn't make me a bad person, does it?)

John Keeton
12-30-2008, 9:44 AM
(Well, thats not quite true; I DID buy a Bosch 1617 from them on closeout for $40. That doesn't make me a bad person, does it?)
Depends on your level of boycott!;) In one of the larger malls in our area, one of the main entrances is through Sears. I have told my wife that if we are there, the Mall catches on fire and Sears is the only available exit - she needs to run for her life, and make my funeral arrangements because it is my day to die!! I will never darken their doors again.

Dave Anderson NH
12-30-2008, 9:45 AM
The first credit card I ever got was a Sears when I had just finished college. I've had it for almost 37 years. Las tyear they sold the cards to another one of those mega credit card companies with the hidden and out rageous fees, cut the grace period to 14 days, and raised the interest rates for everyone. My card went into the shredder. I have excellent credit and won't put up with such crap. On the very rare occasions now when I even venture into a Sears, I pay cash or use a MC or Visa.

Nothing they sell anymore is at all price competetive for a given quality level whether it's tools or clothing. It's too bad to have been watching the steady decline of what was once a great retailer.

Stan Urbas
12-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Quite a few years ago I bought a 23" color TV from Sears. VERY expensive. Only problem was, it didn't get the cable channels above ch 13. But back then I checked with the cable company, and they assured my they would probably NEVER go beyond ch 13. Of course, 3 months later they did, so I was stuck using a cable box. I also was asked it I wanted an extended service contract and of course, I didn't.

A year later the warrantee on the TV expired. A week after that the picture tube started going black after about 30 minutes. Over the next week or so, the "on" time of the tube became less and less, until it was down to about a minute. So there I was, with a TV that I really no longer wanted and would no longer work.

About that time I got a call from Sears. They noticed that my warrantee had expired and wanted to know if I was interested in an extended contract. Of course I said yes, and signed up right then and there. Two days later I hauled it into the local Sears store.

Well, they fooled around with it for several weeks, kept sending it back as "fixed" and I kept having the same problem. At that point I got a call from Sears customer service asking if I was satisfied with my repairs. I told her what had happened and she decided to refund my full purchase price! She also refunded the cost of the service contract.

So at that pointed, armed with my cash, I went out to buy a new TV. I found that in that year, the TVs now all had cable channels above ch 13, they had more features, and they DROPPED IN PRICE! Bought one on the spot. And when they asked my if I wanted an extended service contract I declined.

So you wonder why Sears was bought out by K-Mart and will probably go out of business in 2009!

Ben Martin
12-30-2008, 10:09 AM
So you wonder why Sears was bought out by K-Mart and will probably go out of business in 2009!

You have that backwards there. Sears bought K-Mart...

Marty Rose
12-30-2008, 10:15 AM
I was watching The Fox Business News last night. They said
"Sears is in T R O U B L E Financially" with that said it is no wonder that the above problems exist

Justin Leiwig
12-30-2008, 10:27 AM
I was watching The Fox Business News last night. They said
"Sears is in T R O U B L E Financially" with that said it is no wonder that the above problems exist

This is the stupid truth about big businesses. I used to work for a company called wacamaw...which was the predicessor to bed, bath and beyond. They bought the failing homeplace franchise from sears because it was cheap. They changed their name to wacamaw homeplace at all their stores, not just the homeplace ones and adopted all of sears homeplace marketing and management team. A year later they were out of business.

K-mart was a failing franchise when Sears bought them and between that and the downturn, they have no chance of sucess.

Tom Hargrove
12-30-2008, 10:45 AM
The customer service at Sears has gone away, and will be the death of them. Several years ago my father gave me a Craftsman sander for Christmas. Over the next three months, I used it about three times and it died. It wasn't even dusty.

I took it to Sears for a replacement, and was told that without the receipt, they would not honor the one year warranty, since the production date stamped on the label was more than a year old. I asked to see the manager. While I was waiting to see the manager, I saw a large display of the same sanders. The sample that was out of the box had a production date that was also more than a year old, and was older than the one that I had!

I was still standing next to the display when I spoke to the manager, who also refused to honor the warranty. I pulled the sample from the display and showed him that the units he was selling were older than the one that had failed. He literally turned red in the face. He pulled a new one from the pile, handed it to me and stormed away without another word.

Since then, I tried to return a failed ratchet wrench, and the customer service person tried to give me a used one as a replacement. At another store, the clerk gave me grief when I returned a broken screwdriver (which I had not used as chisel!). That was the last straw. I have a lot of Craftsman hand tools that have served me well over the past 30 years, but I will never shop there again.

Todd Crawford
12-30-2008, 10:53 AM
A couple of years ago, I was in a tight place and really needed a detail biscuit jointer. I needed something that would do biscuits less than 1 3/4" I searched all over the place and couldn't find anything, but then I stumbled across one on the sears website and thought "This is exactly what I need." It was for a one time job, so top quality wasn't my main objective at this point, I just needed something and needed it right then. On the website, it said that it was available in my local store and I could purchase online and pick-up in the store. Not wanting them to sell out before I got there, I did this, even purchased the buscuits I would need. So I jump in the truck, with wife in tow and haul butt down to sears. i get there, with my receipt and online confirmation and pick-up slip. Get to the counter and the guy tells me they they do not carry that model but that they will order it for me and it will be in in a couple of days. I tell him that i can't wait that long and that he needs to find me one because when I bought it online it said it was in stock at this store. He calls managers, and they call a couple of numbers and come during all of this calling around, it I hear one of them say, "So we aren't going to carry the biscuits anymore?" So I ask about this and sure enough, they were going to sell a jointer that only they made biscuits for, but they weren't going to sell the biscuits anymore. I was outraged at the whole situation, and went off on them, which is really out of character for me. I got my money back and ended up the PC 557 and that was the best choice I ever made. I use it all the time now with the FF biscuits. I'm not 100% sure if I don't go in there anymore, or if I'm not allowed in there anymore, but either way, unless I something changes, I am done with them. I still have some Craftsman stuff, and some of it is very good stuff, but I am done with Sears!

Wilbur Pan
12-30-2008, 12:45 PM
FWIW, when we bought our first house 4 years ago, we needed to get a washer, dryer, and refrigerator. We bought all of them from Sears, and got Kenmore appliances. Between my family and my wife's family, we figured out that we had about 210 appliance-years of trouble free experience with Kenmore.

One of the springs that act as a shock absorber for the clothes drum in our Kenmore washer broke after about six months. Sears got a repairman to our house the next day, who fixed it, and it has been fine ever since.

I still buy Craftsman hand tools: wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, socket sets, etc.

Ralph Wiggum
12-30-2008, 2:00 PM
Ralph, wise decision! There are other threads on the creek regarding the customer service, or lack thereof, with Sears, and I have my own personal history that lead me to the same conclusion. Sorry about your experience, though. The real question - did you end up getting a drill press? What kind?

Yea I bought a Delta drill press from Lowes, and bandsaw from Grizzly. At the time I talked with a manager at Sears, told him all the things I had bought from them in the past, and that I wasn't ever going to buy anything from them again. He didn't even seem to care....

Justin Leiwig
12-30-2008, 2:06 PM
He didn't even seem to care....

Why would he? There are 99 million other people out there who will buy from sears. Same way Wal-Mart works. Customer service is no existent so they lower their prices and people come in droves.

Rick Huelsbeck
12-30-2008, 2:59 PM

From MSNBC.com

NEW YORK - A resurgent Kmart, home of the blue light special, is buying the once-dominant Sears department store chain in a surprising $11 billion gamble it is counting on to help both better compete with Wal-Mart and other big-box retailers.

K-Mart bought Sears

Dave Lehnert
12-30-2008, 4:01 PM

K-Mart purchased Sears.

I have a Sears Hardware close by and Like it a lot. I guess I know what to expect ahead of time. I know the people who work there and have become friends over the years.
As far as the drill press goes. I know a lot of people got po'd about the whole thing but it was obviously a mistake. Nothing to get so worked up about. We all make mistakes and hope for some compassion when we fail.

Matt Meiser
12-30-2008, 4:03 PM
Yep, KMart declared bankruptcy, screwed their investors, suppliers, etc., came out of bankruptcy, bought Sears, then renamed themselves Sears.

Bob Genovesi
12-30-2008, 4:15 PM
Yep, KMart declared bankruptcy, screwed their investors, suppliers, etc., came out of bankruptcy, bought Sears, then renamed themselves Sears.

The very reason I go to Lowes, Woodcraft, and shop online!!

Greg Pavlov
12-30-2008, 11:44 PM
K-mart was a failing franchise when Sears bought them and between that and the downturn, they have no chance of sucess.
They're sitting on a heck of a lot of good real estate in the long run, tho....

Mark Elmer
12-30-2008, 11:53 PM
There was a Kmart in a town near us and about after the Sears merger they liquidated all of the inventory in the Kmart and it was closed for several months while they converted it into a Sears Grand store.

Now you guessed it they are liquidating all of the Sears Grand inventory and closing the store. :confused:

Mike Wellner
12-30-2008, 11:57 PM
I will continue to buy hand tools from Sears, but NEVER their power tools.

But remember their powertools are made by someone else.

Danhar makes Craftsman.

Gary Breckenridge
12-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Sears which was famous for poor service merged with Kmart which was famous for no service merged in a real estate deal to make millions for the investors and you expected what ?:cool:

Carl Hunsinger
12-31-2008, 1:42 AM
Many years ago, I went into Sears to buy a roll-around tool case. Got to the register to pay, and was told that they couldn't take Visa or Mastercard, - only Discover cards. But if i'd like to apply for a Discover card... What?? If I owned a business, I sure wouldn't leave money on the table like that. P*ss-poor business policy.

I told them they could keep their toolbox, vowed to myself to never to darken Sears' door again, and further vowed to never get a Discover card. I went across the street to a local "ma-and-pop" hardware store, where they were more than happy to accept my credit card and sell me a tool cart. And I ended up with a better cart, for the same money.

Over the years, I have enjoyed tossing out the many Discover card offers that I frequently receive in the mail.

Twelve years later, I did cave in and I went back to Sears to buy a Zipcode saw. By this tme, they had wised up and were accepting Visa cards. I'm very happy with my Orion saw, it's just too bad that I had to get it at Sears. Either way, I see no reason to ever go back to Sears.

Carl

Gene Howe
12-31-2008, 7:25 AM
I stopped buying Craftsman tools when Simpson quit making them. :(
I'm not sure but, it seems that Rigid (Simpson) produces a better tool now than the ones Sears had them make. That being said, I still own and use a Craftsman 6" jointer, purchased in the early 70s. Very basic machine. Quirky fence, but works fine for my needs. :)

John Keeton
12-31-2008, 8:32 AM
I have earlier posted in this thread my contempt for Sears, but am compelled to elaborate on the history. For the past 26 years, we have consistently purchased Kenmore appliances - and a few tools, clothing, etc., from Sears. While building our present home 4 years ago, we bought all new Kenmore appliances. The oven door hinges wore out after 3 years. My wife is a great cook, but honestly we eat out a lot, so it was a premature failure in my observation.

I located the part number, and called for a service call to bring the parts and install them. I was told Sears would not do that until I paid for a service call "to determine the problem - $75!) I told the lady that would not be necessary as there could only be one source of the problem - the door is connected to the oven ONLY by the hinges. She said it didn't matter.

After looking at the schematic, it was apparent that it was a thirty minute job, so I ordered the hinges, particularly after the website stated clearly the parts could be returned for a full refund to any Sears Service Store. Because of the non-specific wording, I ended up with 2 pairs of hinges. Took the extra pair to the local Sears Service Center and the guy said immediately - "You bought those online." I acknowledged that, but told him what the website said about returns. He said, "Doesn't matter, we won't refund an online purchase." We repeated the conversation, whereupon I said - "Well, it is this simple - I have never bought anything but Kenmore, but you refuse to make this refund, and I will never darken the doors of Sears again." His response, "Doesn't matter to me." My response, "You just made this decision for me." I left - never to return.

In my opinion, Sears boycotted me by their actions. I won't even buy a used Craftsman tool - notwithstanding they are good tools. I just can't bring myself to ever be associated with such a company in any way. As my various Craftsman tools die, they will be thrown out.

Todd Crawford
12-31-2008, 8:47 AM
So John, if I read this right, you don't like Sears, right? :D

John Keeton
12-31-2008, 8:52 AM
So John, if I read this right, you don't like Sears, right? :D
Todd, I got mad all over again just writing the post! After I calm down, maybe I will tell you what I REALLY think about Sears!;)

Sonny Edmonds
12-31-2008, 9:09 AM
Sears which was famous for poor service merged with Kmart which was famous for no service merged in a real estate deal to make millions for the investors and you expected what ?:cool:

Which shell is the pea under? LOL
Way of the world anymore.
:confused:

Tom Godley
12-31-2008, 9:16 AM
It is a shame that Sears lost its way -- but a lot of this was predictable. When more and more items are made off-shore to compete on price the whole parts/ warranty situation that made Sears famous becomes harder and harder to maintain. So much stuff is designed to throw out - The product mix at Sears and every other store changes so frequently today -- its a nightmare.

Over the years I have purchased a lot of stuff at Sears and have encountered few problems. I have also found the home service to be as good as any. I have never had any problem returning a screwdriver or other hand tool except that the replacement is not as good.

But ........employees make or break a store!

A few months ago I happen to see a sign in the neighborhood advertising a yard sale of "tools and fishing" that weekend -- I went logically. The guy must have worked for Sears because he had all these new, still in the package, hand tools!. I picked up all kinds of stuff -- too much. What was surprising was the quality of the wrenches/ punches/ chisels etc -- all were from the early 70's. Got a right and left set of tin snips both in the package for $2.00! -- so you see why I bought a lot.

Todd Crawford
12-31-2008, 9:31 AM
I'm right there with ya John.

Mike Wellner
12-31-2008, 12:41 PM
I am going to buy a 1/4 and 1/2 set to replace some missing sockets,then I am going to S&K for handtools. Better quality than craftsman/Danhar.
Worth the price when you can't afford Snapon.

I like the Craftsman rachet design because they have better grip than everybody else up to snapone because most manufacturers turn the wrench and knurl the end. I hate that style, no grip.

Dave Lehnert
12-31-2008, 2:00 PM
"The guy must have worked for Sears because he had all these new, still in the package, hand tools!. "

Sears has a warehouse in Columbus Ohio that returns are sent to. They make a pallet of that stuff and sell it off "as is " for one price. That is how people at the Flea Markets get new looking Craftsman stuff. They will take 3 or 4 bad sets and make a good.
They were having trouble with employees making pallets of good stuff and selling it off to someone who I would guess (and only a guess) was paying them off to do it. That was the word going around with the auction guys.

Joel Goodman
12-31-2008, 2:15 PM
Not to hijack the thread but isn't a almost a rule that the larger these companies get, and the more junk from China they sell, the worse the products and the customer service get. I think we can all thank the brilliant MBAs that run them. Notice how the guy who was running Home Depot has helped run one of the big 3 car companies into the ground.

Bill Karow
12-31-2008, 6:59 PM
My drill press story was similar, but an employee bothered to get involved so it worked out.

I ordered the cheapie 17" drill press online, paid with Visa, and got two emails a minute apart - first one said the order was canceled, the second said it was in stock at the warehouse and come pick it up any time. I went to the store with both emails, and the woman I spoke to said "this is odd, but your order was canceled in error." I told her it was clearly a pricing mistake and I wasn't holding them to it, but I was only interested at the sale price, and she said "that's our fault - we're advertising it in the store and online so of course I'll honor it." She also apologized for the order being canceled in the system, and took another 10% off since she had to re-order it.

Long story short, it's in the garage now, but only cost $160 :D

That was at our mall store. We also have a Sears hardware franchise operation in my small town, and they're great. They'll take back any hand tool, no questions, and if it's not in stock they drop ship the replacement to me. I will say some Craftsman hand tools seem to have slipped in fit and finish, but others like the ratcheting Craftsman Professional box end wrenches are top nothc.

It is sad to see them slipping so badly overall, though. The Craftsman name used to really mean something. I still have hand tools from a set my dad and grandfather split when my dad returned from nuclear testing in the south Pacific in the mid-50s, and they're as new. Can't say the same for some other items from the 90s til now.

That's interesting that the former Craftsman supplier makes Ridgid hand tools. I'll have to look them over.

we can all thank the brilliant MBAs that run them.

There are some MBAs who are able to successfully run a business, thanks very much. Just because some people do a poor job doesn't mean you need to impugn everyone who worked their butt off to get a graduate degree.

Colin Giersberg
12-31-2008, 8:17 PM
While I am not a Sears fan by any means, I bought a small bladed shovel with a wood handle several years ago. While using it much more recently, the shovel broke. Now you would think that it would be the handle that broke, but it was the metal blade instead. I brought it to the local mall store, showed them the shovel, and they proceeded to give me a new shovel, but they said it would be a different style, since they no longer carried the one I broke. The new one even came with a fiberglass handle, so I am satisfied with that.
On another topic. I had a Craftsman router that I used to make a door jamb for a screen door. While routing it, the bit in the router started to climb out, thus ruining the jamb. I reset the bit, and tried again with the same result. After it happened for a third time, I used a hammer to seat the bit. It never came out again.

I have shopped at the small town Sears store where I work, but I wont buy any power tool from them, and I am pretty selective about anything else that they have.

Wade Lippman
12-31-2008, 9:59 PM
There are some MBAs who are able to successfully run a business, thanks very much. Just because some people do a poor job doesn't mean you need to impugn everyone who worked their butt off to get a graduate degree.

Just last week another MBA and I agreed that nearly the whole curriculum was BS and could be reduced to a few principles. (supply and demand curves, net present value, negotiating strategy, and Porter's five forces. There, I just save you $80,000; or whatever it is today.)

Jeffrey Makiel
12-31-2008, 11:35 PM
A Sears Hardware store opened about 3/4 mile from my house about 12 years ago. It was an extremely well stocked hardware store by folks that apparently knew what to stock. They had a little of everything. The prices were high, but they were great for small purchases.

However, over the years, the shelves began to go empty.

About 4 years ago, it was turned into a Sears Hardware and Appliance store. All the hardware (fasteners, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc.) was condensed to 1/10 its former size. In came appliances, seasonal items and other chachka items. It appeared to be taken over by folks that knew nothing about the hardware business.

Unless there is a sales event, the prices are very poor and non-competitive with other sources. I don't know why anyone would shop there considering there is a Home Depot every ten feet in my area. As a hardware store, your odds are slim that you will get what you need, and, the help has absolutely no experience with anything. Even the cashiers don't seem to care much about anything.

However, I do hope this store sticks around. It's better than nothing.

-Jeff :)

Dave Lehnert
01-01-2009, 12:24 AM
A Sears Hardware store opened about 3/4 mile from my house about 12 years ago. It was an extremely well stocked hardware store by folks that apparently knew what to stock. They had a little of everything. The prices were high, but they were great for small purchases.

However, over the years, the shelves began to go empty.

About 4 years ago, it was turned into a Sears Hardware and Appliance store. All the hardware (fasteners, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc.) was condensed to 1/10 its former size. In came appliances, seasonal items and other chachka items. It appeared to be taken over by folks that knew nothing about the hardware business.

Unless there is a sales event, the prices are very poor and non-competitive with other sources. I don't know why anyone would shop there considering there is a Home Depot every ten feet in my area. As a hardware store, your odds are slim that you will get what you need, and, the help has absolutely no experience with anything. Even the cashiers don't seem to care much about anything.

However, I do hope this store sticks around. It's better than nothing.

-Jeff :)

The Hardware store close to me did the same thing but I guess they could sell one refrigerator and make more than a truck load of a 1/8" Screw.
You do have to check the prices before you buy. They are higher than the Sears mall stores. But on things like Nut's, Bolts and washers they are much cheaper than the Home Depot across the street. Sears was also cheaper on a replacement gas grill burner by like $15 than HD.

Bill Karow
01-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Just last week another MBA and I agreed that nearly the whole curriculum was BS and could be reduced to a few principles. (supply and demand curves, net present value, negotiating strategy, and Porter's five forces. There, I just save you $80,000; or whatever it is today.)

If that's all you learned, you both apparently did a poor job of selecting schools or you weren't paying attention. How thoughtful of you to post your opinion as though it's representative for everyone.

Terry Teadtke
01-01-2009, 2:28 AM
But I can't disagree. I have been a hard core Craftsman tool man for almost 40 years since the time I was old enough to I help my dad work on our cars. Matter of fact I inherited his Craftsman tool set that has to be about 60 years old. Not too many years ago someone broke into my garage and took my tool chest and what tools were still in the box (I’m not too good at putting things away at times). I waited a few years and finely bought one of the 300 piece Craftsman tool sets and a new tool chest to replace he ones that were stolen thinking I was getting the same quality tools and kept everything in the garage. Boy was I wrong! I open my tool chest last spring for the first time since purchasing my replacement set and viola…surface rust all over the sockets! The garage isn’t unusually damp and there was no rust on my other tools. Then I went to use the 1/2 “ ratchet for the first time and it doesn’t work. I couldn’t be more disappointed. I always liked the feel of Craftsman tools in my hand and had remained a loyal customer. No more, S & K look awfully good to me now.

Terry

Rich Engelhardt
01-01-2009, 6:37 AM
Hello,

Many years ago, I went into Sears to buy a roll-around tool case. Got to the register to pay, and was told that they couldn't take Visa or Mastercard, - only Discover cards. But if i'd like to apply for a Discover card... What?? If I owned a business, I sure wouldn't leave money on the table like that. P*ss-poor business policy.
That would of course been in the time frame that Sears Financial was behind the Discover card.
Discover was also the first to offer cash back incentives - to the tune of a hefty 5% across the board on all purchases - to card holders.
The reason Sears didn't take MC/Visa was that they didn't want to give away 3% of the sale to a competitor. MC/Visa both charged the merchant 3% to cover operating costs.
Sears was also trying to shift away from the Sears credit card, to a universal credit card (good for purchases anywhere @ participating merchants).
Honestly, you should have taken them up on the offer of a Discover card.

You only really cheated yourself out of an ~7% discount. Possibly more since interest rates back then were in double digits for savings accounts.

My wife and I made out like bandits on that 5%.
It wasn't until a few years later that GE Finacial came out with their 5% Master Card that there was a better thing going.

Chip Lindley
01-01-2009, 8:53 AM
I have a Great!! Craftsman (King-Seeley) variable speed DP from the '50s! It is cast iron and its still a keeper after owning it almost 40 years. Todays *Sears* tools are generally a POS. I stopped shopping at Sears for stationary power tools in the 70s.

BOB OLINGER
01-02-2009, 3:05 PM
The Sears story is truly a sad affair. The one in our town closed up a couple years ago. Closest one now is 35 miles in Des Moines. I've had good and bad experiences with Sears. Obviously, since they're 35 miles away, I won't be favoring them, especially since we have a Lowes in town and supposedly a HD coming. I see they are a big contributor to the Extreme Makeover show - donating thousands of dollars of merchandise - that is commedable. Bottom line, I'll go there if it benefits me.

Dick Strauss
01-02-2009, 4:11 PM
We still have a Kenmore washer/dryer set from the mid 80's that work fine. We always had good luck with their Kenmore appliances.

I had a store employee load the wrong C-man CMS into my car one time. It was the next model up but was $100 more than I had been charged. They ended up having the right model delivered and picking up the mistake.

Here is their C-man hand tools return policy taken too far...
A man brought in what looked to be a 60 year old 3' hand saw that was all rusty and a set of pruning shears while I was perusing the tools. He wanted to do an exchange because the tools were dull. I was shocked that Sears obliged him and that he had the brass to exchange yardsale finds for new tools.

Luther Oswalt
01-02-2009, 4:18 PM
Is it true that Lowes Kobalt Tools are made by Snap On?
Leo

Dave Lehnert
01-02-2009, 4:34 PM
Leo

I was told that is true BUT.....Is not made to the same standards as the Snap-on line.
Have no idea how true that is.

Dave Lehnert
01-02-2009, 4:37 PM
No more, S & K look awfully good to me now.

Terry

Not sure if it holds true today but SK made or makes Craftsman hand tools.

Wade Lippman
01-02-2009, 5:21 PM
If that's all you learned, you both apparently did a poor job of selecting schools or you weren't paying attention. How thoughtful of you to post your opinion as though it's representative for everyone.

Top school, 3.8 GPA. Yes, it was thoughtful; you're welcome.

Danny Thompson
01-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Not to add to your pain, Ralph, but I really LOVE my Craftsman 17" DP for only $179, not in small part due to the fact that it was supposed to be on sale for $479! It pains me to no end that they caught their mistake in time to prevent you and others from also ripping them a good one.

Ralph Wiggum
01-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Not to add to your pain, Ralph, but I really LOVE my Craftsman 17" DP for only $179, not in small part due to the fact that it was supposed to be on sale for $479! It pains me to no end that they caught their mistake in time to prevent you and others from also ripping them a good one.

It's not that, or the quality of there tools. When the sale happened I went to my local Sears store; they had the sale price posted on the floor model drill press. I talked to 3 different people to make sure that was actually the price. I was assured it was. They didn't have any problems taking my money. Only problem was they only had the floor model and it had been messed with had some stuff missing. Should have just gone ahead and taken it. But I was assured by a manager that I would get one as I had paid in full and the order was placed. A week or so later I get a check in the mail from Sears with no explination as to why. I had to call and talk to a manager to find out they had cancled the order, and they would not stand behind there word. Now they are trying to sell me an extended warranty for a item they refused to hold up there end of the agrement on and deliver to me.

Mark Mack
01-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Leo

I think I read that they were at some point made by some entity related to Snap-On. I believe manufacturing has now moved to China of all places.

Dave Sabo
01-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Not to hijack the thread but isn't a almost a rule that the larger these companies get, and the more junk from China they sell, the worse the products and the customer service get. I think we can all thank the brilliant MBAs that run them. Notice how the guy who was running Home Depot has helped run one of the big 3 car companies into the ground.

Joel _ Let's be fair now, Nardelli didn't cause any of Chrysler's problems, and he's not even making salary. Not that he needs to after his exit goody bag from the Depot. He's compensated (mabey) the way I think these guys should - based on performance. If he turns them around he'll get a humongous payday. If not, he'll get a $1 a year and all the coffee he can drink. Chrysler has been going downhill ever since they divested themselves of Gulfstream years ago. Bet they'd like to have Gulfstream's 5 year waiting list and the deposits to go with them right about now.