PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know a source for 4" Aluminum Oxide grinding wheels?

Alan DuBoff
12-30-2008, 12:30 AM
I have an old Goodell-Pratt hand grinder which has an ok wheel, but it's old and has grit/pieces of something or other in it, I think that is how they made the wheels back then. It works, just not ideal, but it is a useful grinder as-is and I use it all the time.

I would like to have an Aluminum Oxide wheel for it, but am not sure they are made. I have seen 6" wheels, but the 4" wheels I've seen seem thin, like 1/4" thin, opposed to 1" thick. ;) Also, seems folks want to sell in lots of 6 in that size, I really only need 1 or 2.

Anyone replaced a wheel on a hand grinder and/or know if there are any 4" size wheels available or how to make one smaller? I used to know of an abrasive shop not too far, maybe I'll try to find them...not sure if they could make a custom size or not.

Dave Anderson NH
12-30-2008, 9:35 AM
Alan, I'd try either McMaster-Carr or MSC Direct.

Robert Eiffert
12-30-2008, 10:58 AM
I picked up a handgrinder that uses a 5" (actually 5 1/2" max) diameter wheel. I happened to have an old 4" wheel.

I wound up turning a wooden bushing on the hand grinder shaft to fit the larger arbor hole on even that wheel.

I'm thinking of getting a 6" wheel and using a dresser to get it down to the 5-5.5" range via drill chuck on the lathe.

This was a thread on the 'old tools' list awhile back. A couple said they had picked up grinders with small wheels. Now they check to make sure it takes a 6". But they seem to have better luck at garage sales than I've had.

What would happen if you chucked up the larger wheel in a lathe or drill press and used an angle grinder at the same time? definitely safety glasses time.

Alan DuBoff
12-30-2008, 4:43 PM
Dave,

Ironically I have looked at McMaster-Carr, they are close but only 3/4" wide, but that is about the closest I can find.

Locally, I contacted an abrasive company, and they only resale, but pointed me to this site:

http://www.georgiagrindingwheel.com/

I looked over their site, but haven't contacted them yet. Looks like they will make custom sizes. I'm not sure how much they charge for that luxury yet...

Robert,

You might want to contact them, also.

harry strasil
12-30-2008, 9:58 PM
get 2 half inch ones and remove the paper from one side of each and them put them on the arbor with the sides minus the paper toward each other.

Alan DuBoff
12-30-2008, 11:24 PM
get 2 half inch ones and remove the paper from one side of each and them put them on the arbor with the sides minus the paper toward each other.
Harry,

So far that's the best idea, I was thinking about this a couple days ago, but wasn't sure they would work like that, but I guess as long as they are able to stack, in use they will true with each other.

I'm still checking with the place in Georgia, but if that fails this might be the best bet. OTOH, 3/4" is not too far off, and would still work, so McMaster-Carr could win out possibly

The current wheel does work pretty good, just kinda old and crusty...

Will Krautkramer
12-31-2008, 2:52 PM
I really like the hand powered grinders, they cut pretty fast and its easier to control heat if your worried about overheating a piece. Some day I want to rig one up to a foot treadle. I have several in various sizes, most of mine accept a 1" or 1.25" bore wheel.

A waterjet machine could be used to rough cut a larger wheel down and then it could be dressed on the hand grinder.

A lot of the times I go to the local scrap yard I run across about 1/2 dozen worn down grinder wheels of various types that get dropped off with the misc metal junk. Quite a few are around 4" dia and 3/4-1" wide with a small bore, I think they come from a shop that uses them on a monster large die grinder. It might be worth it for you to check around with your local fab/machine shops to see if you can get some worn down wheels.

Alan DuBoff
12-31-2008, 3:12 PM
I really like the hand powered grinders, they cut pretty fast and its easier to control heat if your worried about overheating a piece. Some day I want to rig one up to a foot treadle. I have several in various sizes, most of mine accept a 1" or 1.25" bore wheel.
I've thought about that also.

I love this hand grinder I have, it's a Goodell-Pratt. I just love all Goodell-Pratt tooling of any type, good stuff.

A lot of the times I go to the local scrap yard I run across about 1/2 dozen worn down grinder wheels of various types that get dropped off with the misc metal junk. Quite a few are around 4" dia and 3/4-1" wide with a small bore, I think they come from a shop that uses them on a monster large die grinder. It might be worth it for you to check around with your local fab/machine shops to see if you can get some worn down wheels.
I will have to look around and see if I can find any, but I'm getting close to finding a new one. McMaster-Carr is my fallback since they have a 3/4" wide one, so I am pretty close and that would work if needed I believe.

Here's a pick of my grinder, but it has since moved to the corner and the wheel is facing forward with the handle on the right which is perfect for me.

Will Krautkramer
01-02-2009, 1:52 AM
I came across this site tonight while I was googleing trying to fine some fine grit carbide files.

They list several 4" dia. pink AO wheel at 1 1/2" thickness with a 1 1/4" bore
https://www.ptsxpress.com/CGI/CGPTSRIM?PMITEM=MG33413280I&PARTPG=CGPTLMXI&PAMENU=1_1&PMLFNO=02_02_001_006

Johnny Kleso
01-02-2009, 6:10 PM
I buy 98% of my grinding wheels at eBay for next to nothing..

You might not find it today but you will if you give it time..

Business & Industrial > Manufacturing & Metalworking > Metalworking Tooling > Cutting Tools & Consumables > Abrasives >

My best deal was a case of six boxes of 100 discs of 8" PSA 120 grit I use on my MKIII Sharpening Machine I made, I got 600 discs for just over $25
http://home.comcast.net/~rexmill/sharpening/MKIII/images/SS/S1.jpg