PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum chuck parts

Ken Glass
12-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Hey Gang,
I am starting to put the parts together for a Vacuum Chuck for my 3520B. I am undecided on what Rotary Adapter to use. Oneway, E-Z Adapter or another one, or even a homemade one might work. I heard that the Oneway will not fit my PM 3520B, and I can't find info on the E-Z at Craft Supplies, so I am still undecided. I bought a Gast 220v, 0522 (with 4.0 CFM) at the Surplus Center, to be shipped tomorrow at $54. I can get everything else locally, but the rotary adapter has me wondering on what to do. Plus, the prices seem high for just a rotating vacuum fitting. Has anyone with a 3520B used something else for their adapter?

Maylon Harvey
12-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Ken,
I'm using the EZ adapter I got from Packard Woodworks on my 3520. Works fine.

Wyatt Holm
12-30-2008, 4:49 PM
I used a holdfast adapter from Craft Supplies USA. It is very similar to the ez adapter. It will work on any lathe that you could put a 3/8 rod through the headstock. Yes it will work on your 3520.
Wyatt

Chris Haas
12-30-2008, 5:04 PM
great question, i have the same question exactly except for a jet 1642. one adapter i've looked at was way to much. thanks in advance. Chris

Chip Sutherland
12-30-2008, 5:13 PM
Chris, I have a 1442 and I use the Holdfast version. It'll work on a 1642, too. You're gonna kick yourself for not doing vacuum chucking sooner. Just don't try to chuck up a burl piece. DAMHIKT

Ken Glass
12-30-2008, 5:16 PM
Thanks for the responses.
Wyatt,
I spoke to Craft Supplies USA, and they told me they stopped carrying the E-Z adapter because of calls about a lot of leakage around the inward and outward sides of head stocks, so they recommended the Hold Fast Vacuum Adapter, and at $56.99 I decided to buy it. So far so good. I will post when I have system put together.

Wyatt Holm
12-30-2008, 8:23 PM
I didn't say that Craft Supplies had the ez adapter. I bought their holdfast. One thing is you have to cut it to length, fairly simple with a hacksaw or bandsaw with an old blade. I have never had any leakage problems. One more thing, what are you using for your backing plate to hold your vacuum cylinders? I used laminated corian acrylic counter top material, works great.
Wyatt

Ken Glass
12-30-2008, 8:35 PM
Wyatt,
I know you didn't recoomend the E-Z, but everyone references Craft supplies for the E-Z adapter and I was ready to buy it, until they told me they have discontinued it for the Hold Fast. Sorry for the confusion.

Don Orr
12-30-2008, 9:20 PM
I have a Jet 1642 and since it has a unique handwheel, I made my own rotary adapter custom fit to my lathe. I made it from a block of glued up Corian, some O-rings, a double sealed bearing and a hose barb. It works fine and was fun to make. I RTV'd the bearing into the Corian and RTV'd the hose barb into the bearing. The red stuff is the RTV, a heavy duty silicone sealant. I even adapted it to my Jet mini. This adapter is styled after the one in Steve Schlumpf's tutorial. I might have $5 into it not including stuff I had around.

James Biddle
12-30-2008, 10:38 PM
I bought a Oneway adapter for my PM3520b lathe at the last WW show in town and it fits just fine. I'm still in the process of finding the quick-fit adapters for my hose to switch between vacuum chucking and veneering for my vacuum setup, but Oneway certainly makes a rotary vacuum adapter for your lathe.

James

Chris Haas
12-31-2008, 7:21 AM
sold Mr. Orr. thats my weekend project. is titebond good enough for corian, or do i need epoxy?

Don Orr
12-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Chris, according to info from a Dupont website, I used a medium CA glue and it worked very well. Clean both surfaces well and clamp. Done. I'm sure epoxy would work too.

Good luck and have fun. Remember to show us what you come up with.

I forgot to tell you all that I had to remove some of the threads on the hose barb to fit the bearing. I held the barb end in a chuck on the lathe and turned them off with a HSS hollowing tool bit since that's what they are actually made for. Go a little slow on the speed and cut at center.

David Walser
12-31-2008, 1:33 PM
...I made it from a block of glued up Corian, some O-rings, a double sealed bearing and a hose barb. ...

Where do you go to find "double sealed bearings"? I don't even know which store to go to, let alone where too look within a store, for such a thing. In addition to being "double sealed", do you need to make sure the bearing meets other criteria (such as RPM rating)?

David Haywood
02-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Don, how did you seal around the bearing and the hose barb? I just left a question on the turners forum about making my own chuck adapter. I can't get it to seal with affecting the rotation? I tried using UHMW plastic as well as lignum.

John Fricke
02-06-2009, 7:40 PM
I just googled "Arizona Bearing supply". Several choices came up for yuma, tuscon, and phoenix. I'm not sure which is closer to you. Give them a call, tell them I.D., O.D. Expected Max RPM. and seal requirements. They should be able to fix you right up.

marty purselley
02-06-2009, 8:23 PM
Where do you go to find "double sealed bearings"? I don't even know which store to go to, let alone where too look within a store, for such a thing. In addition to being "double sealed", do you need to make sure the bearing meets other criteria (such as RPM rating)?
You can get them on ebay much cheaper than I could find them at any bearing supply. If you are in a hurry, the big orange box has them too, but they are more expensive.

Mike Peace
02-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Got mine at Lowes for about $7 IIFC. Details here

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1000894#poststop

Gordon Seto
02-09-2009, 7:18 AM
I'm still in the process of finding the quick-fit adapters for my hose to switch between vacuum chucking and veneering for my vacuum setup, ....

Forget those quick disconnects. I have tried from several sources from Grainger, big box stores to Harbor Freight; they are leak bad. They work great on positive pressure. If they leak, even the pump can handle the capacity, I don't want unfiltered dusty air suck into the vacuum pump.

If you find one that works under vacuum, please let me know.

Wyatt Holm
02-09-2009, 2:58 PM
You are looking for glue for corian? Where I got my corian was a counter top shop. They had their professional glue and they glued it together for me. Their glue is the same stuff that the corian is made of.

mark buckley54
09-12-2009, 8:31 PM
Now here's a thought, as sick as it sounds.
I was wondering today about gasket material for my new vacuum system that I built and thought.
I toilet plunger? if it would screw onto the headstock threads (mine is 1x8)
and put a hole in it for the connector.

Bit than i thought it might collapse under the pressure. but it would be soft enough to make a good seal.

am i nuts? or would this work?

mark

Terry Rasmussen
09-12-2009, 9:59 PM
I turned an adapter for my 1642 from a piece of nylon with a NICE bearing #3021DCTN. The first hole for the bearing is 1 3/8" diameter & about 7/16" deep. The second hole is 1" diameter and about an 1/8" deep. The third hole is 3/8" diameter and goes completely through nylon. I used J B weld to attach the brass nipple to the the bearing. Then used silcone to set bearing in adapter. I am able to get 25 Hg with my Gast 523.

Lesson learned - Don't use Hillman #8811745 double sealed bearing from drawer K10 at Lowe's. I selected it because it had a smaller internal diameter (15mm). However, it leaked and I was unable to get more than 15 Hg with Gast 523.

Ken Glass
09-13-2009, 8:44 AM
Terry,
That turned out reallly well. After this post last Dec., I decided to buy Tom Steyer's adapter (made especially for my #3520B) and have never looked back. It seals better than any others I tried.

Tony Wheeler
09-13-2009, 5:10 PM
here the one I made and the rest of the vacum system thanks to STeve Schlump and Mike Mahoney for the chuck ideas

Cyril Griesbach
09-13-2009, 7:33 PM
I, too, have the Oneway adapter for my vac set up on the PM3520. The outboard spindle is not threaded but Oneway does have the insert that works with their rotary adapter on the PM3520.