PDA

View Full Version : vienna regulator clock, antique, warped door

dennis holt
12-29-2008, 9:49 PM
Greetings,
The title states the problem. When you have 100+ yr old wood doors that have gone through world wars and numerous families, moves and relocations, things happen!
So here is the verbal description; 2 vertical pieces of veenered pine ?, 2 horizontal veenered pine pieces tacked and glued to the vertical pieces to form a rectangle. I can place the door so that 3 point are in contact with the table and one corner is elevated an inch or so.
The problem is in the door closing properly.
HELP!!!
I am new to woodworking, I have great tools but am ignorant to the secrets of the science and art of the woods. I am also retired and old but not that old.
Thanks,
Dennis Holt

Jamie Buxton
12-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Do you have some space on the inside of the door? I'd put a brace on it, running corner to corner. The brace will bear on the door in the middle, and screws at the ends will pull the two door corners flat. You might find you have to make the brace a little curved to start, because it is going to bend a bit as it pulls the door flat.

dennis holt
12-29-2008, 11:57 PM
Greetings again,
Thanks Jamie but I forgot to mention that the interior of the rectangle is glass. Think of a 2 inch rectangle sides that is hollow in the middle.
Dennis Holt

Jamie Buxton
12-30-2008, 1:15 AM
Yeow! The door has warped so much that one corner is an entire inch out of plane, but the glass has not broken?!!

dennis holt
12-30-2008, 9:40 AM
Greetings, maybe I exaggerated a little but more than 1/2 inch. No the glass didn't break or deform that I can tell. ( 1/8 thickness+/-). I am going to see a clockmaker today in Sisters Oregon, a master craftsman and pick his brain a little. I'll keep you informed as to what I discover!
Dennis Holt
Bend, Oregon