PDA

View Full Version : I've fallen for Festool and I can't get up...

Larry Marley
12-29-2008, 9:44 PM
I won a Festool ETS 125 EQ ROS as a door prize at the OC Woodworkers Christmas dinner. The next day I attended the Laguna Tools open house and watched the Festool rep demo my sander and everything else they make. Hmmm, pretty cool,... next thing you know I am buying the CT MIDI dust extractor! See! It's a vacuum but I called it a Dust extractor!

This is going to be expensive...

Gary Herrmann
12-29-2008, 9:45 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking about Festools for awhile now. Unfortunately, SWMBO saw the prices at Rockler...

Brad Kimbrell
12-29-2008, 10:57 PM
The guy at Woodcraft here in Lexington took one of the Rotex 6" sanders and went from a VERY rough sawn ash board to a polished surface in about 20". Looked like it was buffed with a Beale buffing system when he was done!

Very cool stuff! I want it all! :D

Ken George
12-30-2008, 5:33 AM
Great tools but, only for those with extremely deeeeeeep pockets! I love tools and have lots but I don't see how I will ever have any Festools.

Doug Shepard
12-30-2008, 6:02 AM
I've fallen for Festool and I can't get up...

Just stay down. Repeated falls are inevitable otherwise.:D

Bill Arnold
12-30-2008, 8:31 AM
Ditto what Ken said. I'd rather have a LOT of tools so I can do a LOT of things than have an expensive tool as a centerpiece. Of course, if one has really deep pockets, one can do whatever one desires! :rolleyes:

Malcolm Tibbetts
12-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Deep pockets indeed... I never thought that there could be that much difference between the more common brands and Festool products. At double or even three times the price, how could they be that much better? Well, I'm the proud new owner of their Kapex chop saw and I can say that it is far superior to anything else that I've used. I hate to call it a chop saw; it's more of a precise milling machine. I just cut almost 400 compound-mitered staves with this saw (bloodwood and yellowheart) and not one of the cuts needed any sanding prior to gluing. For me, the ability to consistently produce perfect cuts without any evidence of a saw blade is worth the price.

Don Orr
12-30-2008, 9:54 PM
I was wondering if Festool was going to make a lathe when this thread started. I'm sure if we give them time...

If the Kapex holds its precision accurately enough for Malcolm, imagine what kind of lathe they could make!:eek: Bet this will save you a bunch of time Malcolm. More time to come up with even more astounding work!

Brodie Brickey
12-31-2008, 1:50 AM
If the Kapex holds its precision accurately enough for Malcolm, imagine what kind of lathe they could make!:eek:

Imagine what it would cost?:eek::D

Larry,

Congratulations on the door prize win! A very nice item to acquire just before Christmas.

Keith Christopher
12-31-2008, 7:34 AM
I agree with Bill, but man that domino sure does entice me. If I buy one I believe that will be the one I buy, I've seen it in action and man let me tell you loose tenons were never made so easily.