PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a newbie

Travis Stanton
12-29-2008, 9:02 PM
Are Wood River HSS turning tools that woodcraft sells any good? This is my first post and I know nothing about wood turning but I have been wanting to try a new hobby for a while, so I bought a Jet mini lathe today and now I am just looking for some other tools to get started. Is the beginners set that woodcraft has on sale for $86.00 any good or should I get something better? I am interested in mainly making pens and shaving brushes. I am also thinking of getting a drill press. Any suggestions as to what else would be useful to a newbie would be much appreciated. Thanks Travis

steven carter
12-29-2008, 9:08 PM
The thing that would be most helpful is more money!!! And then some more money!:D:D:D We don't call it the vortex for nothing.

Jim Kountz
12-29-2008, 9:18 PM
Dont know about the Wood River but the Pinnacle line seems to be good stuff. I have a parting tool and a bowl gouge and have no complaints.

Shane Nyvall
12-29-2008, 9:37 PM
I bought my first set from Harborfright ($60.00) and I am still using them. I do not turn as much as some of the others but it was an inexpensive start. I have just started buying the GOOD ones since I can only afford to by them 1 at a time.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35444

Steve Schlumpf
12-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Travis - Welcome to the Creek! Lots of great folks here to help you out with any and all question regarding turning!

When starting out I would suggest getting the harbor freight HSS turning set. They carry 2 models, one is $60, the other around $40 if I remember correctly. I have been turning for 4 years now and still use the $40 set that bought. They aren't the very best of tools but the steel is good and it makes sense to learn how to sharpen on cheaper tools than on a $100 one.

You will also need some means of sharpening your turning chisels. A lot of us use the Woodcraft slow speed grinder and the Wolverine sharpening system but there are many options when it comes to sharpening.

Protection for you such as a faceshield (bare minimum) and some means of dust control.

As you will note - you are entering the vortex and it eats all your time and money as there are always more tools to buy, bigger lathes, and more tools!

Congrats on your new lathe! It should serve you well! Also, we really like lots of photos here! Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!

Shane Nyvall
12-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Travis - Welcome to the Creek! Lots of great folks here to help you out with any and all question regarding turning!

When starting out I would suggest getting the harbor freight HSS turning set. They carry 2 models, one is $60, the other around $40 if I remember correctly. I have been turning for 4 years now and still use the $40 set that bought. They aren't the very best of tools but the steel is good and it makes sense to learn how to sharpen on cheaper tools than on a $100 one.

You will also need some means of sharpening your turning chisels. A lot of us use the Woodcraft slow speed grinder and the Wolverine sharpening system but there are many options when it comes to sharpening.

Protection for you such as a faceshield (bare minimum) and some means of dust control.

As you will note - you are entering the vortex and it eats all your time and money as there are always more tools to buy, bigger lathes, and more tools!

Congrats on your new lathe! It should serve you well! Also, we really like lots of photos here! Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!

Amen. My point exactly.

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2008, 11:10 PM
I agree with what Steve said and he gave you the bare minimum needed. I got this set of tools from Penn State Industries and still use most of them today after 3 yrs. I have a lot of $100 tools but still reach for these a lot of the time. These are the only tools I used for about 1 1/2 yrs.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHSS8.html

I would also suggest you check out to see if you have any turning clubs or woodcraft stores near by and take some classes. It will save you a lot of time learning. I am self taught as a lot of us are because we have nothing close to attend. So books and DVD's are it for learning resources.

By the way welcome to SMC. Lots of good people here and lots of knowledge.

David Drickhamer
12-30-2008, 1:06 AM
The tools Bernie mentioned from Penn State are good tools. I have a set and still use them. I also discovered first hand that Penn State will stand behind their tools. The chisels Steve mentioned are also good especially for learning to sharpen and find out that grind you like. They're also a good source of metal if you decide to make some of your own scrapers etc. in the future.
Welcome to turning.
Dave

Bonnie Campbell
12-30-2008, 4:52 AM
If you want to try saving money, PSI chisels can be found on Amazon to at a lower price usually. If you buy enough it can be free shipping too.

Cyril Griesbach
12-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Lots of excellent advice so far, Travis. Here is my advice to help you save lots of time, maybe some money and certainly frustration. This link will help you locate a hopefully nearby AAW chapter where you're likely to meet lots of friendly and helpful folks willing to get you started quickly, and safely. I wish I'd done this much sooner when I started.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp

Cyril

Travis Stanton
12-30-2008, 1:54 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I can see how this is going to be a vortex sucking black hole that takes away time and money. My local woodturners (Anchorage, Alaska) club is having a meeting this Saturday that I plan on attending. It looks to be pretty big as about 50-70 people attend once a month. They will be demonstrating different pen turning techniques. I can't wait! I am ordering the Benjamin's Best Tool set as suggested, it won't be shipped out till next week because of inventory, so I am getting the urge to go purchase at least one tool to start turning something. Is there one tool that I could purchase that might get me started turning that I could finish up with sandpaper?(for pens) I was thinking a spindle gouge maybe? Again thanks for the help, Travis

Daniel Heine
12-30-2008, 2:49 PM
Hello, welcome to the abyss. Soon you will want a chuck, then a hollowing set, then a biiger lathe......that's why we call it the abyss. I have both the Harbor Freight/Windsor Design tools, and the Wood River/Pinnacle set from Woodcraft. I strongly prefer the Pinnacle set. The handles are long, and that makes the tool easier for me to control. They also hold an edge a bit better. My suggestion would be for the Pinnacle/Wood River set.

Good luck, and welcome to the group.

Dan Heine

Chip Sutherland
12-30-2008, 3:56 PM
here's a couple of weblinks to throw your wallet at. I shop Woodcraft locally and online as well as these suppliers. I'm not employed by any of them. I have also shopped at merchants that advertise on SMC. Availability tends to be my biggest purchase decision factor. Craftsupplies has a sale ending today on their Henry Taylor tools.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/

David Drickhamer
12-30-2008, 6:25 PM
I think my favorite go to tool would be a 1/2" bowl gouge with a side grind, like the Ellsworth. I can use it to rough out something like a pen blank, use it for spindle work and even as a skew.

Maylon Harvey
12-30-2008, 9:39 PM
Travis,
I turn all my pens with only a 3/4" spindal roughing gouge. Lots do it with only a skew, but there is a bit more of a learning curve there.
I lived in Anchorage for 5 years in the 70's. Best 5 years of my life. Going to get back there someday.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I can see how this is going to be a vortex sucking black hole that takes away time and money. My local woodturners (Anchorage, Alaska) club is having a meeting this Saturday that I plan on attending. It looks to be pretty big as about 50-70 people attend once a month. They will be demonstrating different pen turning techniques. I can't wait! I am ordering the Benjamin's Best Tool set as suggested, it won't be shipped out till next week because of inventory, so I am getting the urge to go purchase at least one tool to start turning something. Is there one tool that I could purchase that might get me started turning that I could finish up with sandpaper?(for pens) I was thinking a spindle gouge maybe? Again thanks for the help, Travis

Travis Stanton
12-31-2008, 4:50 AM
Hello, welcome to the abyss. Soon you will want a chuck, then a hollowing set, then a biiger lathe......that's why we call it the abyss. I have both the Harbor Freight/Windsor Design tools, and the Wood River/Pinnacle set from Woodcraft. I strongly prefer the Pinnacle set. The handles are long, and that makes the tool easier for me to control. They also hold an edge a bit better. My suggestion would be for the Pinnacle/Wood River set.

Good luck, and welcome to the group.

Dan Heine

Dan thanks for the recomendation. I changed my order from the PSI set to the Woodcraft set since PSI won't be shipping anything out till next week. Woodcraft had some good sales and there shipping is free right now, which is a big plus up here to Alaska. I got the set for 86 dollars but then I had them hone them so the total came to just over 100. I also picked up an adjustable pen mandrel, complete pen mill set, insertion tool, 60 degree live center, 1/2 keyed drill chuck #2MT, a couple pen kits and a 5 lb grab bag of misc wood blanks for pens. Ive spent more than I wanted this past week, a total of just over $700.00.(Just don't tell the wife):D I think I got a pretty good deal on my lathe as a store here was closing out of their jet minis and I got their last one for $300.00. I saw on the web there is 2 rebates available for $75 I just purchased it yesterday so I think I qualify, that would mean I only paid $225. I also bought a work bench with tool drawers for it to set on, that was another $142 and the rest I spent on the above. I hope this is enough to get me started, I am going to look for a used bench grinder on craigslist, hopefully I will get lucky. Thanks for all the advice and once I get everything set up I will try to post some pics. Travis

Jeff Nicol
12-31-2008, 6:05 AM
Travis, When I was younger my dad got an old craftsman lathe at a garage sale that had been through hell and back! He got it working and he took a piece of pipe cut it back a few inches in half, leaving a gouge shape attached to the rest of the 20" piece of pipe. He ground it to a sharp radius edge and away he went! I still have it some where and as most any steel is harder than wood it did a fine job! So anyone in a hurry can make a cheap and effective tool!

Good luck with your new hobby, or should I say addiction!

Listen to the vortex speed up another notch as you are sucked in and your energy adds to the suction!

Happy new year!

Jeff

Keith Christopher
12-31-2008, 7:48 AM
I want to turn pens he says......Ahhh I remember those words....starts off with a midi lathe, some 3dollar pen blanks, next thing you know you're trying to decide one-way or powermatic and have a shed full of stumps and logs with no fireplace....you purchased 3 different mandrels, lord knows how many bushings, so many tools that they get their own rack (hint get one of those magnetic knife holder thingys you screw to the wall in yer kitchen.) , this chuck, that chuck, live centers, cup centers, tool rests, more logs in the shed, a chainsaw, 2 5 gallon buckets of anchorseal.........Welcome to the vortex, sit back and enjoy the ride ! Oh and we like pictures.

David Drickhamer
12-31-2008, 1:09 PM
Boy Travis you really got sucked in right away. :D Congrats. Have fun, be safe and have a Happy New Year.
(Even if the wife finds out how much you spent, make her a few pens. All will be forgiven. Worked for me.);)

Dean Thomas
12-31-2008, 3:00 PM
The thing with pen-turning is that you can use ANYthing to turn pens. Maylon talks about doing it all with a roughing gouge. It's true. With most woods, you can use a scraper, gouge, skew, round skew, Spindlemaster, Skewchigouge, or other things.

I've turned a lot of pens and have specifically made an effort to try 'em every way imaginable, just so I could talk intelligently to the issues that some of my turning friends brought up (I coordinate Freedom Pens Project for the three Kansas City turning chapters). Folks turn them every way imaginable.

Most woods will work with most tools, some obviously easier or more successfully than others. Some woods do not scrape well on certain woods or with certain grain orientations.

My last departure from normal (skew or gouge) was to entirely create a pen out of cedar using only sandpaper! It's amazing what a body can do with a 32-grit gouge! :D Certainly not an efficient or inexpensive way to create a pen, but I wanted to say that I'd done that, too. The one before that, I did with a severely sharpened screwdriver. It was a pretty good quality screwdriver so it held its screw-driving shape pretty well. Only had to sharpen 3 times. Probably 10 times with a cheapie screw driver. Not highly recommended ways to turn pens, however.

Ryan Baker
01-01-2009, 9:35 AM
I have a number of the Wood River tools from Woodcraft, and so far I have been completely happy with them. I haven't had them long enough to say how they hold up long term, but I don't expect any problems. They seem to hold an edge for as long as I would expect. I am just as happy to grab one of those as my Sorbys (at least until my Thompson gouges arrive :) ) You definitely get a nice heavy chunk of HSS and a good quality, long handle for a good price. I would take the Wood River tools over the HF tools any day.