PDA

View Full Version : How to attach 1/8" mirror acrylic to signboard?

Don Gares
12-29-2008, 8:03 PM
I have two 24" by 18" mirror acrylic signs that I have lasered from the back and then painted the the letters and designs. These two signs will be attached to a piece of hanging signboard and the whole unit will move with the breeze. I have read where they should be attached with a silicone adhesive but I am having trouble finding a true silicone adhesive. I can find a lot of silicone sealants with adhesive properties so maybe they would work. I am still concerned about the acrylic signs staying attached to the signboard and am thinking about adding a few stainless steel screws for insurance. Of course the screws might present a problem with expansion of the acrylic but with mirror acrylic I would not think that they would get very warm.

This is a project for myself so the customer's opinion does not count.:)

Anyway, comments and suggestions would definitely be appreciated.

Happy New Year (almost),

Don

James Stokes
12-29-2008, 8:15 PM
I think I would use double sided tape with screws in the corners or regular mirror clips.

Darren Null
12-29-2008, 9:17 PM
I've always liked mirror screws (screws with a bit that screws into the head afterwards and covers the head up with a hemispherical chrome cover). Elegant. Don't know how well they cope with being outdoors though.

art baylor
12-29-2008, 10:57 PM
You can use use screws through acrylic but, the holes have to be over sized. Figure 1/16" expansion/ contraction per foot. So, 2 ft. sign needs to be 1/8" larger than the screw diameter. Don't crank it down tight either. Just touching the surface. Flat head screws, washers if needed, no tapered head screws.

Bill Parker
12-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Haven't tried this myself,but I would think Liquid Nails would hold it.

Joe Pelonio
12-30-2008, 8:24 AM
Many adhesives will attack the back of the mirror. You should look for mirror adhesive which is made for that purpose. It's similar to silicone but meant not to damage the back coating. I have found it at most places selling acrylic mirror, or glass. I have made several signs with large acrylic mirror letters attached to PVC board using it for outdoors with no problems.

Todd Crawford
12-30-2008, 9:29 AM
They sell that mirror adhesive at the borg. I have a tube of it myself that I bought when we were remodeling. I ended up using mirror clips instead.

Dave Johnson29
12-30-2008, 9:34 AM
silicone adhesive but I am having trouble finding a true silicone adhesive.

Hi Don,

Go to an aquarium supply store and get some Silicone adhesive for glass tank building. It will be inert to the mirror coating. You might also want to get some "Prep" which is like a cleaner and chemical surface scuffer that you use just before the Silicone. Test on a scrap of mirror as I am not sure if it is inert.

Another option is 3M double sided tape. It has a red backing sheet and the tape is incredibly tenacious and waterproof.

Jerry Hay
01-02-2009, 7:38 PM
I use amazing goop for everything this stuff sticks anything to anything.
I have a auto repair shop and I have used it to glue windows back into the tracks. I just did some awards for a business and I glues alumamark to leather portfolios and they are stuck on there. This is simply the best glue I have ever seen. http://www.amazinggoop.com/amazinggoop/index.html check it out. I buy it at advance auto parts with the other business it is only like $5.00 a tube. Use it once and you will be "stuck" so to speak. Just for fun, glue a quarter on the sidewalk with it and see how many people try to pick it up.

Mike Christen
01-02-2009, 8:22 PM
Hi Don

You may want to try Vinyl Banner tape, it is super thin double sided tape and is the stickiest tape i have ever seen. Being used for banners it must be waterproof too (not positive, never had a problem). I use it for everything now that requires double sided tape. Should be able to pick up a roll at any sign supply house. Try it you'll like it.

Mike