PDA

View Full Version : Looking for plans for a pedestal/executive office desk

Aaron Heck
06-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Hi group,

We've been shopping around for a desk for my home office and I'm getting a little sick of finding the veneered crap that sells for $2000+. I've been toying around with the idea of building something myself out of solid wood (probably cherry) but this is definitely much bigger than anything I've tackled previously.

I think I'd be alright if I had a design to go off of, but I've searched the web and can't find anything. Below is a picture of what I'm thinking. Even if someone knew of some plans for the main desk, I think I could change it around enough to include the "L" shaped return part.

Any ideas? Comments? I do know I like the frame and panel design and I was thinking of using my new MM16 to resaw some curly cherry for some bokmatched panels, but that's all I really got now.

http://www.aaronheck.com/pics/desk.jpg

Mr. Barrie Beaver
06-18-2004, 1:45 PM
I purchased plans some time ago to make a roll-top desk. This is made in 2 parts-- the pedestal desk (Bottom ) and the roll-top (upper part)-- I think you will find the plans for the lower pedestal portion very helpful in making the desk you would like.

Barrie Beaver, Sussex, NJ

Aaron Heck
06-18-2004, 4:00 PM
Interesting. I hadn't even thought of it like that. If you happen to know the plans you're thinking of, I'd appreciate a link. Other tonite, I know I'll be searching for roll-top desk plans.

Thanks much

Aaron

Mike Palmer
06-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Aaron, you can make it yourself. Don't limit yourself to working from plans. They are never exactly what you want. The key is to get some ideas and then you can create something that is truly unique.

Here are a few things I consider when designing my own stuff:

1. Make a sketch of the finished product. (It doesn't need to be precise but it will give you a visual and let you check your proportions.)
2. Take a large project and break it down into subcomponents. (Many case goods are nothing more than glorified boxes. They have more decoration than a plan box. However, the basic case is very similar for both.)
3.Try to stay organized and not get to far ahead of yourself. (As you begin to build your subcomponents, you may find yourself changing somethings occasionally.)

If you decide to take this on, I would be happy to coach you along. I have be designing my own stuff for several years. Once you develop the confidence to break away from plans it open up a lot of possibilities to be creative.

Aaron Heck
07-08-2004, 7:04 PM
Hey guys,

Been giving this some more thought. I came up with a few questions and was wondering what you guys thought.

The main section of the desk (minus the return) will be about 70" x 32". Instead of glueing up solid 1" pieces of wood for the top and dealing with movement issues, I was considering have the core of the top be 1/2" plywood or MDF. I wanted the top to be curly cherry, so instead of using a paper thin veneer, I was thinking about glueing up 1/4" re-sawed solid wood to each side, giving me the 1" total thickness. Then I guess I'd have to put a solid edge around the whole thing, which would also give me some solid wood to route into for a decorative edge.

The desk will be a frame and panel design. I wanted to use some sort of crotch or burl for the panels. I have read that the paper backed veneer is the easiest to use, but the burls only seem to be offered in the "real-veneer" catagory and not the paper backed stuff. In that case, I guess I should look into a vacuum press.

Will the curly cherry top and the burl panels look astetically ok together? The rest of the desk (rails, stiles, drawer fronts, etc)would be solid cherry.

Mike Palmer
07-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Aaron, a couple things.

The 1/4" resawn wood will act like solid wood. It is still to thick to be considered veneer. You need to have the solid down to a maximum of 1/8" preferably to 3/32nds. Also, you should use a rigid glue to adhere the veneer to the substrate. It will provide a bond that won't creep.

As far as the aesthetics of the piece. Draw it out on paper and see how it looks to your eye. If it were me, I would make the panels out of curly cherry also and use a different pattern than the desk top. It will give you a visual contrast.

Aaron Heck
07-09-2004, 7:40 AM
Mike, thanks again. The reason I was using a substrate for the top was to try and get away from wood movement issues. If I have to go so thin for the solid wood on the top that it's approching veneer thickness, should I just go for a 100% solid top and deal with wood movement with breadboard ends or something? My main concern is a nice solid surface for the top. I don't want a veneer that can chip off with the abuse I give it.

I was also thinking about the burl in the desk design last nite and also was thinking it might be too much. Funny enough, I had also thought about resawing and bookmatching some curly cherry for the panels. Any ideas of the "different pattern" you were talking about?

Thanks!
Aaron

Carl Eyman
07-09-2004, 9:37 AM
Have you checked Woodsmith? I believe they had one. I know they had a modular computer desk that might work with a little tweaking. Nice project.