PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Stopper supplies

Jake Helmboldt
12-29-2008, 5:23 PM
Hi all, I was wondering if any of you can report on how the Ruth Niles stainless stoppers (with o-rings) compare to the Arizona Silhouette stoppers with the ribbed silicone wedge. I'm using Ruth's but have found that in some instances they don't seal really well since it is a combo of opening size and closest o-ring size.

Do the AS ones seal better? Ruth has been great to deal with, but I wanted to get some impressions on how the two products compare.

thanks, Jake

Chip Sutherland
12-29-2008, 6:01 PM
IMHO....cork is the best option. Tried and true. Cork will allow the owner to lay down an open bottle in the fridge. Most of the pretty varieties are prone to leaking. With cork you don't have to worry about the myriads of bottle shapes and sizes as much. The downside is that purists wouldn't ever consider reusing a cork from red wine bottle in a white wine and vice-versa. I'm not into the wine etiquette mumbo-jumbo at all.

Greg Just
12-29-2008, 7:35 PM
a reusable alternative is this silcone stopper sold by Rockler:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18429&filter=stopper

marty purselley
12-31-2008, 9:31 AM
I've turned a bunch of the Ruth stoppers and they work great-however, many of my wine drinking friends who want to purchase a stopper are only a few sips removed from bag wine-I've got a couple of bags of rockler stoppers, but have a pretty basic question: how do you hold them on the lathe? It is a 9mm hole for the stopper. Thread a 9mm bolt?