PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy glue lines?

Drew Eckhardt
12-29-2008, 3:54 PM
I've started using T-88 to get a longer open time on glue ups and fill small (.010" tops) gaps and found the glue line to be bigger than yellow glue even on parts that start with a perfect fit.

I'm wondering if a lower viscosity would get me a smaller glue line (see attached for before & after illustration on mitered corners; the bad edge isn't a good fit)?

Can I use a straight general purpose epoxy like System Three when I don't need gap filling?

Or do I want to add pigments to hide the glue line better?

Larry Edgerton
12-29-2008, 4:25 PM
I use West System. Call them up and get their user guide sent to you. It will teach you in simple terms what epoxy can and can not do. They have more experiance than any other company, and the people that answer the phones are American techs, not some bozo in India. Another plus is the product is made in the USA.:) If you ever have a question they will answer it, immediately.

Their newsletter, Epoxyworks will keep you up on new research and interesting projects. They also have quite a few publications on different subjects available. Standup company.

You can check them out at epoxyworks.com

Bob Johnson2
12-29-2008, 6:28 PM
I agree with Larry, have mailed or download the West System user guide, it's nice to keep around. While I also use West, for what you want System 3 would work as well. In large jobs I find the West more forgiving but for small stuff System III is fine. Haven't tried the T-88. I always end up with a very noticable glue line with epoxy, thin or not, I beleive it just sinks into the wood quiet a bit. Just a guess but you might get a thinner line from an epoxy that sets quicker, hence less penetration. Of course with epoxy, the non 5 minute types, fast setting is still over an hour, unlike yellow glue.
In the past I've called the West tech services folks with application questions/problems, you could probably do the same with this question.

Frank Drew
12-30-2008, 1:45 AM
I agree about the high quality of West System products. I've never found epoxy especially necessary for most applications in cabinet or furniture making, however, and, in my experience, the glue line is usually thicker than I'd normally want (which, of course, is one of it's advantages if gap filling is what you need.)