PDA

View Full Version : Another buffing question.

Mark Burge
12-29-2008, 3:21 PM
I always read the buffing threads and try to get all I can out of them, but I still always wonder about some of the "rules" that often come up. Such as, do you really have to have a different buffing pad for each grit of compound? And what are people buffing over? oil finishes? how about poly?

Thanks for your insights
-Mark

Scott Conners
12-29-2008, 4:20 PM
The compound permanently impregnates the wheels, so yes you do need a separate wheel for each compound. Think of the compounds like sandpaper in really fine grits - you wouldn't want sandpaper with two different grits, nor do you want a wheel with mixed compounds. Depending on the wood, I buff it raw, over oil, or a film finish. Buffing is what gets my film finishes to that amazing glassy look, and it's what gives wood that awesome tactile softness over oil finishes. It doesn't help much with leveling the finish, and I'm still learning how to wet sand small complex turnings before final coat and buffing, but it certainly makes them glow afterward!

It is possible to buff through a finish (just like sanding), or even burn lacquers, but I haven't had any issues with that yet.

Steve Schlumpf
12-29-2008, 4:35 PM
Mark - just to add a little bit to Scott's reply, I buff over Minwax Gloss Wipe-On Poly all the time and it really adds to the gloss.

Gerold Griffin
12-29-2008, 6:58 PM
Okay, use a seperate wheel for each differant compound. What would be some good compounds to get started with. Also would the tripoli, white, yellow and tan be the same from differant differant manufactors? Thanks!!!

Scott Conners
12-29-2008, 8:35 PM
The standard compounds that Beall and Don Pencil's systems use are:
First stage: stiffer cloth with tripoli (EEE) which is nearly always red
Second stage: a bit softer cloth with white compound
Third stage is a soft wheel with carnuba wax. I don't always use this stage, as carnuba shows water spots and fingerprints more easily than the finish itself often. I hear renaissance wax is better, I have some on order.

The colors are pretty much standardized, so building your own system isn't very hard.

Mark Burge
12-29-2008, 9:50 PM
Thanks Scott & Steve

-Mark

Dennis Puskar
12-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Might be a dumb question but can these buffing wheels be washed if necessary?

Dennis

Cyril Griesbach
12-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Might be a dumb question but can these buffing wheels be washed if necessary?

Nope.

Ted Calver
12-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Cyril...
I "clean" my wheels using a 3" wide stick wrapped in 60 grit sandpaper. Hold against the wheel while spinning and it removes the glazed crust on the wheel and you can then start over with a relatively clean buff. It's a messy process though.