PDA

View Full Version : Keurig B40 or B70

Joe Unni
12-29-2008, 1:25 PM
Hey all,

With the couple of bucks SWMBO and myself got for Christmas, we've settled on a Keurig coffee machine (B40 or B60 - post title is incorrect). Except for the LCD screen, variable brew temperature, additional cup size and stainless drip tray, there doesn't seem to be much difference. Is it worth the extra $30-$40 for all these extras? To me it doesn't seem so, but I'd like to hear what others think.

Thanks,
-joe

Angus Hines
12-29-2008, 2:38 PM
I'm a Keurig Dealer. the brew sizes are nice for things like tea and stuff. PM me for a better 'SawMill Creeker" Price. BTW Joe I'm in Marlboro as I type this where are you would love to meet a Creeker up here.

Angus

Eric DeSilva
12-29-2008, 2:53 PM
How much coffee do you drink?

While it may not seem as economical initially, I'd at least think about looking at a good espresso machine. I had a once-a-day $tarbucks do-gooder accuse me of extravagance recently when they saw my coffee set up at home--a handmade stainless steel Salvatore semi-automatic espresso machine with an industrial brew group and a Pasquini dosing grinder. That forced me to consider cost per cup--I buy three pounds of locally roasted coffee every two weeks for about $34.88 a pop. My cost per cup at this point--after 6 years--is about $0.26 per cup. While it is less shocking than comparisons to a $tarbucks once-a-day habit, even in volume, the Keurig system shots are $0.60 per cup.

Think of it like investing in a good tool... My machine has required zero maintenance, supports a hand craftsman, supports my local coffee house roaster, and produces better coffee than I have had anywhere (with the possible exception of Vivace Bros. in Seattle, WA).

David DeCristoforo
12-29-2008, 3:06 PM
"K-cup technology"???? LCD control panel???? Come on... gimmie a break! Take the thing back and get yerself a presspot for twenty five bucks. Scheech! Or do as Eric suggests and get a "real" espresso machine (and don't forget a good grinder to go with it!)

Tom Godley
12-29-2008, 3:42 PM
I have yet to have a good cup of coffee out of the home units - bought one of the "pod" units when they first came out and ended up giving it away.

I was out last night to a friends house who just spent around $500.00 on one and the coffee was terrible. Same goes for another who just finished a new kitchen around Thanksgiving - they installed a built in unit that was over 2.5k.

The coffee is just not good IMO.

A couple of the local automobile dealers that I go to have them installed. These use a larger packet style. I have had a good cup out of these -- but not always.

Nothing compares to fresh ground coffee. Instant is better than the stuff I had last night.

Jim Becker
12-29-2008, 4:54 PM
I'm not familiar with that brand so I can't comment on it. But my experience with espresso machines is such that until I bought a "real" one, I was wasting my money. The third time was the charm for me, despite investing the equivalent of a value priced cabinet saw. Now, I drink lattés, not "regular coffee", so I've recouped the original cost of the machine more than once by not running out to Starbucks or other sources anymore when I'm not traveling. That said, I have to agree with the sentiments that there is nothing like brewing coffee from "recently" roasted and freshly ground beans, no matter what kind of machine or product like a press you use.

Make sure you have tasted the coffee from the machine(s) your considering...and more than once...before you plunk down your money. And use your own water from home, too. It does make a difference.

Jared Larrow
12-30-2008, 9:58 AM
Joe -

I have a Keurig brewer in my office as well as one at home - both are fairly basic models (I'm not near either one so I can't really answer your question).

Overall I've been satisfied with the coffee selections, but there's a feature no one has mentioned. You can purchase a reusable filter package to use with some Keurig models so you can use your own freshly ground coffee. If this is of interest to you, I'd check with the Keurig website to see if the models in question can use this reusable filter.

I have one of the reusable filters at home - I often use my own ground Starbucks coffee beans from Costco in the Keurig...

Justin Leiwig
12-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Joe -

I have a Keurig brewer in my office as well as one at home - both are fairly basic models (I'm not near either one so I can't really answer your question).

Overall I've been satisfied with the coffee selections, but there's a feature no one has mentioned. You can purchase a reusable filter package to use with some Keurig models so you can use your own freshly ground coffee. If this is of interest to you, I'd check with the Keurig website to see if the models in question can use this reusable filter.

I have one of the reusable filters at home - I often use my own ground Starbucks coffee beans from Costco in the Keurig...

HMMM...interesting...I didn't know that they had that filter either. According to their website it fits all the at home brewers. That makes the system more attractive to me now. :D

Joe Unni
12-31-2008, 7:09 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I've had coffee from these machines several times and I quite like it. Expensive per cup yes, but I really dig the convenience and the lack of waste. I too am aware of the add-on so one can use their own coffee and will probably be getting one - though to me it kind of moots the point of the machine itself ;) I just didn't know if the extra bucks for the addition features of the B60 were worth it.

-joe

Randy Cohen
12-31-2008, 7:29 AM
We have a senseo that we got about 2 years ago. I grind the beans myself and wrap the grinds in small size coffee filters. It makes a very good cup of coffee. My wife likes the foamy stuff on top.