PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky floors

Dan Karachio
12-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Hey all, found a very old post on this, but could use some help. I have a 100 year old house with oak floors. Squeaks used to be quaint, now just wakes us up when someone has to go to the bathroom at night. The toughest are upstairs where I do not have access underneath. I bought these break off screws (http://www.squeaknomore.com/) after seeing them on Ask This Old House, but you have to find the joists. Unlike the show, I am not using these on a carpeted floor, so drilling around to find a joist is not something that my wife is too happy about! Any tips you might offer for locating joists under a wood floor? Any tips on the best way to patch drill holes in an oak floor? And I thought finding studs under plaster-lathe walls was fun! :-)

Mitchell Andrus
12-29-2008, 11:04 AM
I find a strong magnet and chalk to be the best way. Just mark every hit and soon enough the joists will show as straight lines of chalk marks. Just remember, old can mean anything but 16" O.C.

I've found that not all squeaks are at the joists.

Von Bickley
12-29-2008, 3:55 PM
I find a strong magnet and chalk to be the best way. Just mark every hit and soon enough the joists will show as straight lines of chalk marks. Just remember, old can mean anything but 16" O.C.

I've found that not all squeaks are at the joists.

Mitchell pretty much nailed it.... A magnetic stud finder should find your joist and like Mitchell said, they probably not going to be 16" oc......

John Keeton
12-29-2008, 4:02 PM
Dan, keep in mind that some squeaks are actually one tongue rubbing against the adjacent groove. Don't know what your situation is, but I fought this in another older home, and finally read somewhere about sprinkling talc powder or corn starch in the offending crack. It worked on several of them. I used talc (baby powder is corn starch I think) simply because I felt the corn starch might attract bugs. Otherwise, Mitchell and Von have given good advise, but the magnetic stud finder will hit on every nail in the flooring, some of which won't be in joists. I would probably use one of the newer stud finders that are not magnetic. I would also drive two nails at each location at opposing angles, so that continual movement doesn't simply loosen the nails. I would fill the holes with a shellac burn in stick.

Jason Roehl
12-29-2008, 7:06 PM
Another option to help find joists might be to pop out any floor diffusers or cold-air returns. Sometimes the joist cavities are used for heating ducts.

I'd suggest taking off some baseboard to check, but with a 100-year old house, the plaster might go all the way to the base (if it doesn't, then you could pop the baseboard somewhere and you might be able to see the joist cavities).

From a former owner of a 100-year old house...

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-29-2008, 9:18 PM
I used to let them bother me, but, I remembered that in the orient they are called "Singing Floors." Now, they don't bother me. It's just this 33 year old friend talking to me.

Bruce

Dan Karachio
12-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Plaster definitely goes all the way to the floor. I think some of the squeaks are on the joists, but others may not be. I'll give the magnet a try. In the basement the joists are 16 oc.

If not, well I will think of them as singing floors! :)

Ben Grunow
12-30-2008, 8:07 PM
put a thin piece of ply on the floor and tap around with a hammer. The higher pitched, hard feeling areas are the joists. It is easier than it sounds. Mark with chalk and you will most likely find some sort of a regular layout.

Dan Karachio
01-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Cool! Maybe I can ask our piano tuner to help if I can't figure it out! :D