PDA

View Full Version : ambrosia maple hall table

John Daugherty
12-29-2008, 10:57 AM
I've built a few hall tables for family and friends but never one for my wife. Well I decided that it was time to build her one. I've been wanting to build something using ambrosia maple for a while. This past summer while at a local flea market there happened to be a guy selling some great looking maple. He also had enough curly maple for the legs. The edges are purple heart. I gave this to her for Christmas. The only thing I wish I would have done differently is the legs. They are 2x2 and taper down to 1x1. They look a little thick.

The ambrosia and curly maple were a lot different in color, so I used transtint honey amber color to "pop" the curl and tone the woods to better match. I then hand rubbed several coats of general finish seal a cell.

Jim Becker
12-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Very nice and unique table, John. The "boss" is lucky to finally get one of her own!

Dewey Torres
12-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Maple and PH go so good together. Nice work

John Thompson
12-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Beutiful grain effect, John.. Been there on deciding on proportions as I think heavy even though not always the best route to the finish line. One of the hardest things for me to overcome.

Sarge..

Matt Crew
12-29-2008, 1:32 PM
Beautiful work with some great looking wood.
I think the legs look good as is, but I'm not the person it was built for.

Mike McCann
12-29-2008, 1:39 PM
Very nice, great blend of woods. I do not think the legs look too thick. They look like the are in balance with the top.

John Michaels
12-30-2008, 1:53 AM
Beautiful work, I really like that maple.

John Keeton
12-30-2008, 6:33 AM
John, were the legs straight grained, I would agree that they would be a tad bit heavy. But, with the dominant grain pattern of the curly maple against the ambrosia, I really think they need the weight to compete. It all blends very well. I would say you have accomplished a difficult task of marrying together two very distinct woods into a striking piece of furniture.

John Daugherty
12-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies. The wife really liked it. Judging from her reactions from some of the things I have made in the past that have been really awful, she always acts like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread however. I think if I wrapped up a big pile of dog poo and told her I made it she would "act" impressed. She's a keeper!

Ed Sallee
12-30-2008, 6:45 PM
John,

Beautiful table. You brought the two woods together very nicely. Ambrosia is something you don't see a lot of.

Great work!

Bruce Page
12-30-2008, 7:03 PM
I love that combination of woods.
Very nice

Andy Hsieh
12-30-2008, 8:49 PM
Really wonderful work - reminds me of my safari trip in south africa last january. Has sort of a wild safari look between the top and the legs.

Andy