PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Clip Organizer & EPS Files

Stephen Beckham
12-29-2008, 9:47 AM
I know it was asked in an earlier thread, but I didn't see the comment about using Microsoft Clip Organizer (if loaded on your computer) - I believe it comes with Office.

But it does allow you to catalog and view your EPS files by category... Found this out this morning by accident and now I've got it cataloging all my keywords and graphics.

It doesn't show a thumbnail for all CDR's, but I think that's in the settings of Corel when you save to save it with a thumbnail.

Otherwise - the EPS files all come up great!

Just FYI for those still looking for a way of cataloging their graphics...

Steve

Phil Garcia
12-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks Steve, I had forgotten about feature.

Dave Johnson29
12-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Just FYI for those still looking for a way of cataloging their graphics...

Hi Steve,

What about Google Picasa? Anyone used that?

http://picasa.google.com/

I have not used it.

Phil Garcia
12-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Yes, I have been using it and it works great however the photos or images are stored online and not on your machine. It's a great idea to store your images in a different location than on your machine in case your hard dirive crashes or your computer gets damaged or stolen.

Dave Johnson29
12-29-2008, 6:36 PM
Yes, I have been using it and it works great however the photos or images are stored online and not on your machine.

Hi Phil,

I did not realize that. I tried a copy of Picasa some months back and it started indexing but the reorganizing became too complex as it filed things according to names assuming the name related to the subject group so I stopped it.

I did not realize it was going to transfer them all to the internet.

Glad I stopped it as there are pics that I would not want shared with anyone else except my extended family members. I would hope the internet pics were protected but hey, this IS the Internet.

Mike Null
12-30-2008, 6:06 AM
Steve

I didn't realize the feature was there but why don't you just save eps files as cdr files and catalog them with your Corel clip art or your Corel customer files?

For that matter you can save them in Corel as eps files if you choose.

Stephen Beckham
12-30-2008, 9:31 AM
Mike (BTW - hi, it's been awhile...)

I thought of that, but I'm on my fifth book/CD of graphics from Digital Art Solutions. I'm not sure there is any way or time to batch save the 5 digit number of images that they've sold me to convert them over.

Also - keeping them in their respective bundle, then I'm not violating TOS with you guys and licensing with them for 'sharing' files that are copywrited. When I share a file, it comes from my other folders of stuff that's shareware or otherwise not copywrited...

The thing I was looking for was a way of searching them quickly and not having to go through five different books to find all the similar type art. DAS sells software that will do that for you - it's on the purchase wish list... It's add-in software that not only lets you search and categorize their files, but the add-in allows the breaking apart the files with loosing format (text as text, not curves etc.).

Those guys have got a lot - I'd recommend anyone who hasn't stopped at their booth at one of the shows to give them a look and swipe your card for some free graphics...

WARNING - they have great graphics and it's like Lays Potato Chips.....

Dave Johnson29
12-30-2008, 9:40 AM
DAS sells software that will do that for you - it's on the purchase wish list...

Do you have a link to the software, I'd like to take a look? I have an ad-hoc database I wrote many years back that uses keywords that you apply to each record. It would not be hard to modify it to store thumbnails as well.

WARNING - they have great graphics and it's like Lays Potato Chips.....

Not a problem, now if it was Poore Bros in Phoenix, then I get your point. :D:D
I have to avert my eyes when passing that aisle in the supermarket.

mike klein
12-30-2008, 7:55 PM
Another good one (and Free) that I use is
http://www.irfanview.net/

Bill Cunningham
12-30-2008, 9:52 PM
I just use windows explorer, If you have view set for thumbnails, It shows virtually all thumbnails, including .cdr for everything on your computer!

On the same sort of note, if you use Firefox, and the add on Coolview they have a new 3d one and it's pretty slick..
http://www.cooliris.com/

Phil Garcia
12-31-2008, 9:36 AM
Bill, that is the most cool application that I have seen lately. I downloaded the program and it's great. It's pretty powerful and the view of the graphics is unbelievable. What is impressive is how fast it handles the images. I do not believe I have seen anything else handle that amount of images so fast. Thanks again and a Happy New Year to you and all the Creek.:D

Phil Garcia
12-31-2008, 2:02 PM
Mike, I downloaded InFanView and at first I could not get it to view the Corel files. But, once I added the cdr extension, it worked great. It's a very nice program and it has a lot of nice features. Thanks for sharing it.:D

mike klein
12-31-2008, 6:39 PM
Phil,

Just make sure you download and install all the plugins for it to, which I'm sure you did. I really like the ability to create the .html web viewer files with it, along with its many other features.

Mike

Stephen Beckham
01-04-2009, 5:00 PM
Dave,

Sorry for the delay - I was out of town a couple days...

http://www.smartdesigns.com/

Phil Garcia
01-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Stephen, I hope you had a great Holiday Season. Thanks for the link to the free graphics and the info on the software. I have request the package and I think they just found a new customer. Thanks again.:D