PDA

View Full Version : 'Nuther Creeker visit - and a Rob Lee conspiracy!

John Keeton
12-29-2008, 7:45 AM
Had the immense pleasure of a visit from Colorado's (former KY boy) John Dykes and his lovely wife, Beth. We had met John earlier at a get together during the Berea WIA event, and encouraged him to visit when he came to KY for the holidays.

John generously offered to bring his new Veritas toys - the new Bevel Up Smoother and Jack Planes, with extra blade, and allow me to spend a few minutes with each. I had been contemplating purchasing one or both.

I attributed this gesture to John's pleasant and very helpful nature, but now I realize that he was an emissary of Lee Valley, and co-conspirator of Rob Lee! These planes are sweeeeetttt!! Particularly, the jack plane with the 50* blade. We ran it over some contrary walnut grain and a piece of curly maple. Both literally shined after a few swipes. It also performed very well with the 25* blade as a smoother. As one would expect, John had the blades on these planes "shavin' sharp."

So Rob, the plan worked. I will be taking advantage of the free shipping and will soon be the owner of a BU jack, with extra 25* blade!

Thanks John, for making the trip over, and we enjoyed spending the afternoon with you. Look forward to spending some time together perhaps on your next trip back - and bring the rest of the family.

Jim Kountz
12-29-2008, 9:33 AM
I dont know John, sounds like targeting advertising if you ask me, conspiracy indeed!! Glad you guys had a nice visit and let us know all about those new tools and how you like them!!

Jim Becker
12-29-2008, 11:52 AM
What good is a 'Creeker visit if you can't "share the love"... :D :D :D

And if I hadn't just ordered a saddle that actually fits my posterior, I'd likely be taking advantage of that free shipping from Uncle Rob, too...but it will have to wait.

mike holden
12-29-2008, 1:22 PM
John,
good to see the two of you together again. Now, I have to convince you both to make something with cabriole legs (grinnnnn!)
Mike

lowell holmes
12-29-2008, 1:56 PM
You might just as well get the 38 degree iron and maybe the toothed iron while your at it. I have the plane and all of the irons. I did a project with curly maple and the 38 degree iron was a life saver. Actually, I have the 38 degree iron honed to 40 degrees. There were a couple of boards that I had to break out the 50 degree iron.

The jack does a nice job as a smoother too.

John Keeton
12-29-2008, 2:19 PM
Lowell, I just pulled the trigger moments ago on the order - got the jack and the extra 50* blade. You are correct on the smoothing ability of the jack. I really think, of the two planes (BU jack and BU smoother), the jack better suits my needs. It does a very respectable job of smoothing with the 25* blade, and a beautiful job on tough grain with the 50* blade. The 38* may have worked nearly as well, but I can always do that later. I am one of those guys that says if 38* will work, 50* has to work better. Unfortunately, that doesn't always work out just right!

Mike, I think John Dykes has the Queen Anne bug - I offered him some free chestnut to take home, and he declined - saying it just wouldn't fit into a cabriole leg project! I am not there - yet!

Jim, I assume you needed a much smaller saddle than those you already have?;)

Rob, if you are listening, I just want you to know that your plan worked. You will need to send the commission check to John Dykes! That is two LV orders in as many weeks - I am not doing well with my commitment to address my tool "problem." You may want to offer online counseling!

Jim Becker
12-29-2008, 5:11 PM
Jim, I assume you needed a much smaller saddle than those you already have?

Sadly, no...I've been riding in my daughter's 17.5" Collegiate close contact saddle, but I have a '19" posterior'. :o And yes, it does make a difference relative to balance which in turn helps one avoid what I call "involuntary dismounts"... ;)

Alan DuBoff
12-29-2008, 5:43 PM
I offered him some free chestnut to take home, and he declined - saying it just wouldn't fit into a cabriole leg project!
There's a man that must not know about the chestnut blight of 1908. Nice offer on your part John, he should have taken you up on it. Chestnut is very rare. Is that recycled old growth that you have down in KY?

That is what they used to do the Appalachian style log homes with, until the blight. Strong, long, and straight, good attributes in a tree for homes.

I hear there are tree farms harvesting new growth now that they have cross bred between Chinese and American chestnut somehow...but the blight originally came from China, as I recall...that makes it even more interesting...

John Keeton
12-29-2008, 10:19 PM
No, Alan, he quickly recognized the value of the chestnut, but I think Mike Holden has him leaning toward this Queen Anne thing, plus John is just too gracious to accept the gift.

This chestnut came from some old barn beams. As of yet, we do not have any adult chestnut growth from the new plantings, although there still are pockets of original chestnuts that have survived - but they are few and far between.

On the issue of the blight, we have imported many ecological problems - some even voluntarily - thistles, kudzu, japanese locust, etc. They have all taken their toll.

Alan DuBoff
12-30-2008, 3:03 AM
This chestnut came from some old barn beams. As of yet, we do not have any adult chestnut growth from the new plantings, although there still are pockets of original chestnuts that have survived - but they are few and far between.
That is what I meant by old growth recycled, AFAIK the only way to get old growth is to get recycled timber. Timberframe, log/homes, barns, and flooring are the most common.

I was watching the Sudden Death Oak, thinking it could be the next blight, but it's not clear if it will keep spreading or not.

Cheers.