PDA

View Full Version : Woodworkers Journal Books

Mike Heidrick
12-29-2008, 3:13 AM
Got a Woodworkers Journal From the Shop to Home book free in the mail. It is a subscription book club. Send $10 in and they start sending books for the full price. Anyone ever subscribe to this book? What is the full price for one with shipping? I like the first book - is that the proverbial "free hit". You can return them if you do not want them. Any previous stories on this book club/subscription?

Ben Franz
12-29-2008, 6:15 PM
Got the same book as you did - unsolicited so I'm keeping it. The reply form says you can keep it for free if it's a problem to return it postpaid. They try a little guilt trip saying that if you return it, they'll be able to let another woodworker look at it. Nice try but I had the classic Jewish grandmother and I'm immune to guilt (innoculated with chopped liver and schmaltz). I detest these types of "book club" memberships that get slipped in with basic magazine subscriptions usually in microprint on the reply card. I've cancelled a couple of subscriptions from a publisher that wouldn't relent on the billings. Gripe, gripe, gripe... all better now.

Robert Parrish
12-29-2008, 6:43 PM
I also kept the book! Maybe they will learn!

Dewey Torres
12-29-2008, 6:56 PM
This is the same way I got started on the Oxmore House Woodmith series. I liked them so I just let it flow all the way to the end, now I have the whole collection. They were spiral bound which makes them shop friendly to boot.
I guess it is folks like me who keep these things going as I would have never ordered the series myself. I did like the nice surprise in the mail which seemed to come in between magazines and gave me something to read.
I the send this one to me I will give it a fair shake as well.