PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU turn the bottom of a Calabash bowl?

Thomas Kila
12-29-2008, 2:59 AM
As the title asks, I am looking for various suggestions on how any of you might turn the bottom of a calabash-style bowl. I may be using the description "calabash" incorrectly, but I am specifically referring to a bowl with a bottom that's slightly larger in diameter than the rim.

I am specifically looking for gouge suggestions (various grinds) and actual techniques. Thanks, all!

Barbara Gill
12-29-2008, 6:26 AM
Hunter tool

Frank Kobilsek
12-29-2008, 9:11 AM
Thomas
I think you are asking about the outside of the bowl.

Mount a piece of solid wood or MDF, larger than the rim diameter of your bowl, on a face plate. After taking a planing cut to level the face of the board cut a groove into which you will snap the rim of your calabash. Make it a tight fit. You'll need to pound it in with the heel of your hand. Use your tail stock to support the piece until it gets in the way. Take light cuts and finish it up. Sand. Then gently bang it out of the rim chuck.

Cole jaw, or just a jamb chuck would work too.

Dick Sing does all of his bowls this way and the method is featured in his 'Bowl' book.

Happy day
Frank

Thomas Kila
12-30-2008, 6:01 AM
Thanks for the responses! Frank, I am actually referring to the interior of the bowl. The few times I tried to make some finishing passes (from the rim to the bottom-center of the bowl's interior) I ran into problems.

Wyatt Holm
12-30-2008, 4:45 PM
You might want to look into some hollow form turning instructions.
Wyatt

Richard Madison
12-30-2008, 6:14 PM
Thomas,
For interior finish cuts, ditto what Barbara said. Turn up the speed and motor gently and smoothly. John Lucas has a Hunter tool video on youtube that might be helpful. Very clear pictures of presentation of the tool bit to the wood.