PDA

View Full Version : Getting desktop off of OOTB default

Mitchell Andrus
12-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Corel works, but I'm not getting my desktop as it was set on my old computer.

The laser's color set, paper size, etc. are all back to defaults. Anyone know what the file is called and where it's stored for the working environment?

Thanks.

Bill Cunningham
12-28-2008, 11:53 PM
When things go weird. you can always restore your system to a earlier date
.. Usually the last day everything was working properly will do it..

John Noell
12-29-2008, 12:49 AM
In X3 you can export the "workspace" then import it on another computer. (You can also reload it when you lose some settings - which is too easy to do.) Tools menu -> Options -> Workspace (top of the list but not visible unless you scroll up). Covers most settings.

Mike Null
12-29-2008, 7:51 AM
Mitch

Here are two links which provide good info. I believe both will show you where your file is stored if you saved it.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/au/en/Content/1181657839892

This one is from Roy Brewer of Engraving Concepts and shows some neat tips on setting up your default workspace.

http://www.engravingconcepts.com/swf_files/CorelDefaults.html

Mitchell Andrus
12-29-2008, 9:01 AM
Exporting/importing isn't working. I'm just getting the same 8.5 x 11 paper, etc. no matter what i do. I can manipulate the workspace and save it on my old 'puter, using the saved file on the new one doesn't change a thing.

I'm saving (exporting) to a thumb and importing the file. It accepts the checkmark but doesn't change the workspace. I'm going to have to see if Scott Falkner is around, he set it up. i shoulda taken notes.

If I can just figure out how to get the driver's color palate up I can prolly set up a new default myself.

Jeezuss this isn't supposed to be so hard. Every program I moved over is fighting me like this. Laplink can kiss my butt.

Scott Shepherd
12-29-2008, 9:15 AM
Once you change all the things you want, click on "Tools", then "Save Settings as Defaults" and you should be okay.

I think that's what you were asking, isn't it?

Mitchell Andrus
12-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the tutorial Mike. I'd forgotten about that one, it bears re-watching every now and then.

Scott, I've reset all of the 'stuff' on the screen to my liking - but one important one. I can't find how to turn the vertical ruler around so the '0' is at the upper left corner of the workspace.

I've done it before, but that gray cell is gone now.

Thanks.

Scott Shepherd
12-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Double click on the vertical ruler and a dialog box will come up. Enter the vertical value that matches your page height in the Origin area and then save that as your defaults and you should be good to go.

Mitchell Andrus
12-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Yep. that's it. Duh, 'origin'. Simple enough, just missed it.... Thanks.

Mike Null
12-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Mitchell

If you go to window, palettes, custom palettes you may find it there.

Your original should be in Coreldraw 13 program files. Do a search for .cpl files.

Scott Shepherd
12-29-2008, 11:24 AM
To add to what Mike is saying, the custom palettes are located at \Program Files\Corel\Corel Graphics SUITE X3\Languages\EN\Custom Data\Palettes\ folder.

If you have your .cpl or .pal file from your manufacturer, you should be able to drop it in there and then do what Mike says and find it.

Mitchell Andrus
12-29-2008, 2:06 PM
Yea, that's where it is, only for the GCC machines it's being called "GCC 16 color" in the files and "GCC driver color palate" on the workspace. Either way, it's simpler than the standard colors.

I could do very well with just red and black quite honestly.