PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking supplies in HSV AL

Jack Wood
06-18-2004, 7:45 AM
The two diy's in town don't offer much in the way of specialty tools and I was wanting to know if anyone in the Huntsville AL area knew of a good place to buy aftermarket blades, turning tools, project wood, etc locally? Also need to get some flex pipe for my DC, they just kind of look at ya when you ask for it.:rolleyes:

Ken Salisbury
06-18-2004, 8:04 AM
The two diy's in town don't offer much in the way of specialty tools and I was wanting to know if anyone in the Huntsville AL area knew of a good place to buy aftermarket blades, turning tools, project wood, etc locally? Also need to get some flex pipe for my DC, they just kind of look at ya when you ask for it.:rolleyes:
Huntsville lacks a lot in sources (a real understatement). Lumber sources I can help ya with. If you can't find what you need at Lowes, Home Depot or Harbor Freight - you lose:D .

The closest Woodcraft store is just off of I65, exit 65 (South of Nashville.). There is also a Woodcraft in Pelham (South of Birmingham). For major tools I recommend General Industrial Supply on Lebanon Rd in Nashville.

Give me a yell some time ( I am in the book )

Bob Hovde
06-18-2004, 12:42 PM
I stop at Woodcraft every time I go to Nashville. (It's the first exit just south of the Galleria Mall). Tax in TN is about the same a shipping from the catalog, but you get to touch before buying. For wood, the Hardwood Center on 72 just before you get to Scottsboro had a better selection than anyone else around here. For tools, I check out Woodcraft and then search the net - unless Woodcraft is having a great sale.

Bob

Jack Wood
06-18-2004, 8:31 PM
Hey thanks guys! Maybe I can convince my wife to go up to Nashville to the "Galleria" and just happen to drive by the Woodcraft store mmmmm:rolleyes: . Might just work!:D

Dennis Peacock
06-19-2004, 12:17 AM
Hey thanks guys! Maybe I can convince my wife to go up to Nashville to the "Galleria" and just happen to drive by the Woodcraft store mmmmm:rolleyes: . Might just work!:D

Jack,
When I lived in Hazel Green, I used to vist a couple of local sawmills for wood supplies and such. I'm not sure if the guy is still out on Moontown Road or not, but Ken may know. The guy was a full time school teacher and did the wood selling part time. The may still be the sawmill in Elora, TN which is not too far from you that sells to the public. The boys were brothers and faught quiet often. At one time they split up. One ran the sawmill business and the other ran a kiln drying business. No, I never did figure that one out. How can you split apart and still run like businesses that would compliment each other and provide business for each other. :confused: Go figure!!!

The Ol' Rebel can help you out more than I can since he still lives there and I no longer live there. There was a sawmill in the Hazel Green / Meridianville area that you could buy poplar, red or white oak from for a decent price as well, but I just don't remember their name any more.

Ernie Hobbs
09-08-2004, 1:21 AM
I moved to Madison about a year ago. I, like the posts earlier, share your frustration in finding a good source for specialty woodworking tools.

I moved from North Carolina and had the opportunity to go to Woodworkers Supply as often as I wanted. I have never been a big fan of Woodcraft, since their stuff is usally priced so high. However, it is nice to go and see and touch the tools and get ideas.

I have found the sawmill mentioned in Dennis' post. It is H&K Sawmill. It is run by Jim Kisner 256-837-3633. He is usually in the sawmill on Wed-Sat. I bought Cherry and Poplar in Scottsboro once but H&K is much cheaper and you can pick through and find some nice boards for about half the price.

I also also found General Industrial Supply in Nashville to be a great source for scratch and dent Jet/Powermatic tools. I haven't bought anything there yet, but have been tempted.

Please let me know of any good tool or wood suppliers locally. I have had difficulty locating thick stock mahogany, if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks.

Ernie Hobbs
Madison, AL

Greg Heppeard
09-08-2004, 2:27 AM
I"m not sure how close you are to Mobile, but there will be a Woodcraft opening soon there. Mid November I think.

Jim Becker
09-08-2004, 8:49 AM
It's a real pain when you don't have local retailers for the things you really want to browse before you buy. But at least you have access to anything available via the Internet...so don't let limited local choices keep you from aquiring the things you want and need. As much as I love my local dealer, there are just things they don't carry or are able to supply economically (and profitably for them), so online sources fill the gaps.

Bob Hovde
09-08-2004, 9:43 AM
I"m not sure how close you are to Mobile, but there will be a Woodcraft opening soon there. Mid November I think.

Unfortunately, Mobile is about the same distance from Huntsville as Amarillo is from Tulsa.

Bob

Dan Domzalski
10-25-2004, 10:27 PM
Hi Greg,

Actually we'll be open at 9:00am on Monday November 15. Our construction is scheduled to be completed this coming Friday and we start taking store fixtures and inventory next Monday.

Dan Domzalski
Store Manager
Woodcraft 565
Mobile, Alabama

p.s. And to the fellow that says Mobile is about as far from Huntsville as to Amarillo, that may be true but the seafood is better in Mobile :>}