PDA

View Full Version : Wood burning and bowls...what unit to buy

Jess Wetherhold
12-28-2008, 9:00 PM
Now that I finally have some time on my hands I would like to add some burnin' to my turnin'. I have read so many posts here on the subject but I mostly found "how to sign" types of things. For those of you who embellish your turnings this way I would really appreciate a steer in the right direction as to what unit to purchase.
I should state that I don't wish to make my own unit and I generally purchase high end (simply because I only want to purchase it once.) Having said that, if you had $100 what would you suggest based on your experience with the unit? As some of you know - the wallet is very tight these days and $100 is what I have for the time being.
Thanks in advance for your input in this decision...it always helps.
Jess

Gordon Seto
12-28-2008, 9:34 PM
http://www.woodcarverssupply.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=499001&variation=&aitem=3&mitem=92
A lot of demonstrators recommend this one over other brand names. It has higher power and can use most hand pieces.

Jim Becker
12-28-2008, 9:37 PM
I've been very pleased with the Colwood burning system I bought a few years ago. I don't use it often but it's done the job when I've asked it. The one I have has two "channels" and I opted for discrete pens for each profile per some advise from folks more accomplished than I.

Frank Kobilsek
12-29-2008, 9:20 AM
Jess,
Jim is on the right track. The Colwood Cub is a good little unit which I think is only about $60 plus a few $8 to $10 pens. It is great for signing and light pyro work. If you drift into branding (ie. Molly Winton / Grame Priddle {spelling?}) you'll be waiting for your brand to re-heat but you can get by until you decide if that is something you want to include in your list of techniques. The Cub is available thru most woodturning woodcarving outlets.
Frank

Jess Wetherhold
12-29-2008, 12:54 PM
I definitely will not want to wait around for a brand to reheat. I also would like to be able to make my own tips. Is that something that is easily done with any one specific unit?

Neal Addy
12-29-2008, 1:04 PM
You'll get lots of replies on this subject.

Colwood, Mastercarver, and Razortip are all considered good units. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Razortip pens are considered VERY good and are compatible with many different burner units. They offer a wide selection of sizes and styles.

Here's a great site for info and products. I bought my Razortip system from her and was very pleased with the excellent customer service. Feel free to email her if you have questions. I'm sure she'll be happy to help.

http://www.nedraspyrography.com

HTH!

Scott Hubl
12-31-2008, 8:22 AM
If you save up a little longer you can get a "cry once buy once" unit like this, very dependable and many many choices of pens and or pen tips.
A pen with a penanent tip is more desired but replaceable tip pens are availabe and can be used.
The Detail Master Burning Systems

They have several models to choose from.

I bought the Excalibre it can use two pens at once and the pens heat up to temp in about 7 seconds.
I bought mine just to sign my turnings. And use for other decorative work on turnings.

A little info:
EXCALIBRE
MODEL 8600
130 W. MAX
This is our best burning system. The EXCALIBRE system is capable of delivering up to 130 watts max. depending upon the pen you install. It is the ultimate for the professional carver, artist or pyrographer. Two pens can be plugged in at the same time. A selection switch allows you to choose which pen you wish to use.
When you dial "HIGH" the tip will go to about 2,000 degrees in 7 heartbeats. This is the most powerful and versatile burning system produced by Leisure Time Products, Inc. We designed and developed this system for those artists and carvers who need fast recuperative powers and want the best system available.
If you are an artist or carver that wants speed and convenience the EXCALIBRE will answer these standards. The almost immediate heat recovery of the tip allow the artist to make faster strokes with the burning pen. The stainless steel control box has two front face jack ports, allowing the artist to choose either one of two favorite pens. A scabbard is mounted on each side to hold the pen that is not being used. There aren't any pens with the Excalibre system. We have found that people would rather choose their own pens as to type and quantity. You may also choose the solid state pens that are silver brazed and assembled with tip, handpiece, cord and plug, or a handpiece that uses replaceable tips of your choice.Price: $204.95

Woodcraft carries it too. That is were I bought mine and several pens and the case.
http://www.detailmasteronline.com/systems.html#

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/Shopping%20Spree%20Woodcraft/Detail-Master-1.jpg

I have since bought several other pens including the one that allows you to just change the Tips.

Also check out Pyography sites for more info before you buy.

Was costly yes but I will have it for life. And luckily for me the company is actually local to me IF it ever needed service.