PDA

View Full Version : Couple hardware questions ( top mount slides)

Craig D Peltier
12-28-2008, 3:20 PM
Hi, I need help understading a top an bottom mount slide. Im going to build what some may refer to a spice rack that pulls out. SO say 8 inch wide but 40 tall and only 14 deep. Should I use only a top mount type slide with a slide on the top an bottom or will any old slide work, reason I would question any old slide is because its made for sheer force not pulling out on it.

2nd question

When buying pocket door slides can I use any hinge that would work on the application thats being used. In my case its inset doors.So i could buy just any old set of inset hinges or should I look for the pocket door slides that offer right below it the hinges to go with as well. I have seen this before but it seems the hinges in these books are very pricey $25. Might of been rockler that offers it this way.

Thanks

David DeCristoforo
12-28-2008, 3:35 PM
For the spice rack I would use Accuride (or equiv.) side mounts, one on each side at the bottom just like if it was a drawer and a third one up near the top to stabilize the pullout.

The "best" pocket door hardware (IMMHO) is Accuride 1332 which comes with hinges and uses the cable system to tension and adjust the slides. Not cheap... sorry....

Joe Chritz
12-28-2008, 5:45 PM
Regular ball bearing slides are not designed to be mounted "flat". The method David mentions is about the best you will find, the runners at the bottom support the weight and a single one on the flat keeps it from rocking side to side.

If the unit was bigger and held more weight you could even add a couple at the top mounted normally.

There are slides available that mount top and bottom and are designed for those loads but they can be expensive and aren't any better than two at the bottom and a stabilizer mount on top.

I haven't used slider door hardware but all the accuride stuff seems to be fine quality and it is likely the first place I would look.

Joe

Craig D Peltier
12-29-2008, 9:49 AM
Thanks for all the help.This answers my questions.