PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Stirrups

gary Zimmel
12-28-2008, 2:52 PM
Never say you can do something before you figure out how long it will take!

A while back when we were at a horse show my wife wanted a wooden set of stirrups for one of her saddles.

As I looked at them I figured.... No problem I can make a pair for you.
Famous last words.
As they were steam bent I made a box to bend some oak strips around a form. After I had build up a form with MDF I got to thinking.. All the wooden stirrups are bent and when on a saddle you can't see the layers. So if I build some blanks I can cut a complete one out of a chunk of wood you will see the layers from the side.

After a bunch of proto types they started to come together.
I used different types of wood to see how they would look.

Cherry and maple, walnut and maple, purple heart and ash....
With the blanks made, my band saw was used to cut the rough blanks.
A jig was made to get the front and back curves.
Lots and lots of time sanding and shaping to get the proper form.

For a finish all that I did was a lot of coats of hand wipe poly.
With a little mussing around I found out if the rods were even a little big the wood was under stress and broke very easily. Not good if you are the rider.
Being that my wife was going to use them, they not only had to look good but had to be very strong.
Had to even try different thickness of the layers. i wanted to have the transition on the curves to be one color.
The one one the right didn't work.

These have been used all summer and are now a little beat up but are quite unique.

I had the leather work done by the saddle maker who we have bought a few saddles from.
He asked me if I could made a few pairs for him, but declined.

If I figured out how many hours these took to build..... May of been way easier to of got her a pair at the show.
But then again she is quite happy with them and getting extra points is a bonus.
Can't put a price on that.

Thanks for taking a look.

Jim Becker
12-28-2008, 3:30 PM
Very nice work, Gary. They really look great with the leather work on, too.

Dewey Torres
12-28-2008, 3:38 PM
I like the way the laminates work together. They look great. I agree with Jim on the leather work. Your guy did a great job on that as well.

Matt Crew
12-28-2008, 3:55 PM
Those are sharp. Very nice craftsmanship.
It doesn't matter if you could buy them cheaper, what counts is you made them for her, and thats worth much more to your wife.

Joe Chritz
12-28-2008, 5:37 PM
Those are pretty cool.

They look a lot nicer than the plastic trail stirrups I have on my saddle. I hope the wifely unit doesn't notice them.

Joe

Ed Sallee
12-28-2008, 5:50 PM
Very Cool, Gary.... Your consistency is awesome. They do, indeed, look like a lot of work - but, that work paid off handsomely.

Great job!

John Thompson
12-29-2008, 1:15 PM
Extremely well done Gary. Those stirrups bring back some fond memories of summers growing up for me. And yes.. we did have cars in those days... they were T-models I think they called them. :D

Sarge..