PDA

View Full Version : Any Dispoz-a-blade by estausa reviews or opinions

Darren Graham
12-28-2008, 2:50 PM
I am interested in the Esta-usa Dispoz-a-blade system for my 6" jointer but would like as many comments good or bad from anyone with knowledge or experience of these blades.

The system sounds good to me but I would like more info!!

I am looking at the self-set sytem from esta-usa.

I have found a few comments on them but not enough to decide. Thanks

Larry Edgerton
12-28-2008, 3:01 PM
I use them in a DJ 20 and love them. I hate adjusting a jointer, or anything else for that matter so the adjust it and forget it part of the system is the selling point for me.

I use the cobalt knives, and they last better than the Freuds I was using before, and a total knife change takes less than ten minutes, and that includes time to clean the parts.

I give them an A+

Just my opinion......

Darren Graham
12-28-2008, 4:27 PM
Larry,

That is good news! I called a dealer for a price quote and they were on the fence about them. Mainly because they were thinner blades but also they said it would make the cutting arc smaller (lower?). Do you use the kobalt blades for soft wood and hard woods?

I have a jet jointer with only springs in the cutterhead and I can get the knives somewhat close but not right.

Thanks for the information!!

Larry Edgerton
12-28-2008, 4:40 PM
I'm not exactly sure what your "dealer" is talking about, and I suspect he may not either. Call Esta directly, thats how I get mine.

The blades are indeed thinner, but the first order comes with a holder that stays with the machine through all of the blade changes. The new blades just snap into the holder and slide back in the slot. They are reversable. That is the beauty of the system, the set it and forget it aspect.

I am not sure about your Jet, but if you call esta they will for certian have dealt with that machine before. Do I understand you correctly that your jointer does not have Jack Screws? Similar to a portable planer? I can see no reason judging by just my own experiance why the cutting circle would change, it didn't change anything on my DJ. I use the Cobalt knives for everything, but I do very little with softwoods.

Darren Graham
12-28-2008, 4:55 PM
Yep, my jointer only has springs. It is the jet JJ-6OS. (jet jointer 6" open stand). Their 6" closed stand jointer was basically the same jointer EXCEPT it includes a cutterhead that also has jackscrews.

So when you account for the springs pushing the blades, no jackscrews, and the knives creeping you can see why I am frustrated trying to get them set correctly.

I will be calling esta asap and i greatly appreciate your help!!!

Larry Edgerton
12-28-2008, 5:08 PM
I have a portable delta planer with that arrangment and I do not really care for it. I think a jointer requires even more precision. It would not be that much machining to machine your head for jack screws. Without jacks the whole advantage of Esta's are almost gone. Maybe call into Jet and see what they can do for you.

Thread the spring holes and replace with screws?

Good luck with your project. :)

Darren Graham
12-28-2008, 5:16 PM
Larry,

How does not having the jackscrews make a difference? Both the self-set sytem and posi-set system from esta says they require no machine modifications or the use of jack screws, springs, setting gauges, jigs or measuring tools.

I thought you just removed the springs and (if installed jackscrews) and switched to the esta system...I must be wrong.

Thanks

Tom Esh
12-28-2008, 5:21 PM
...So when you account for the springs pushing the blades, no jackscrews, and the knives creeping you can see why I am frustrated trying to get them set correctly...

Jackscrews aren't much of an improvement IMO. Mine has both and although jackscrews prevent creep in one direction, it's still a major PITA to adjust / replace knives. When my current knives dull, I'll be going dispose-a-blade, or Byrd head.

Ray Newman
12-28-2008, 5:23 PM
Several yeras ago, I installed the Dispoza Posi-set blades on my 8" JET. So far no complaints. Very quick blade change.

As another poster advised, call ESTA & talk to them.

http://www.estausa.com/index.html

Steve Jenkins
12-28-2008, 5:48 PM
I have been using Esta knives on my 16" jointer for 15 years and have no complaints. The old ones used jack screws to set the knife holders but the newer version doesn't need them. They have a small bump out on the holder that just rests on the edge of the slot in the cutterhead. You use the same gibs that came with your machine. I just use their standard knives.

Larry Edgerton
12-28-2008, 5:57 PM
Jackscrews aren't much of an improvement IMO. Mine has both and although jackscrews prevent creep in one direction, it's still a major PITA to adjust / replace knives. When my current knives dull, I'll be going dispose-a-blade, or Byrd head.

The jack screws are not a pain with the estas, as you only set them once for the holders, and then never touch them again.

It sounds like from Steves post there has been changes since I picked up my system, that was 14 years ago or so..... They still sell me knives for mine, but I buy a dozen sets at a time so its been a while.

Steve Jenkins
12-28-2008, 6:12 PM
The jack screws are not a pain with the estas, as you only set them once for the holders, and then never touch them again.

It sounds like from Steves post there has been changes since I picked up my system, that was 14 years ago or so..... They still sell me knives for mine, but I buy a dozen sets at a time so its been a while.

The knives haven't changed, just the knife holders.

Darren Graham
12-28-2008, 6:29 PM
you guys are all great...I will be calling to upgrade my knives. Thanks