PDA

View Full Version : Hard maple burl bowl

Jeff Nicol
12-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Hey all, Here is a couple pics of a nice hard maple burl that I started working on a week or so ago. It has a lot of cracks and checking in it, I could not see it all until I cut it to a round for roughing. The second pic shows how I dealt with the cracks and voids to stabilize it. I used some 5 min epoxy and some blue transtint dye to add some color. I think it will turn out O.K. As I am turning the inside I use thin CA and saw dust to fill and stabilize as I get closer to finish thickness. I have big plans for it upon completion! It is about 11" wide and about 7" deep.

Thanks,

Jeff

robert hainstock
12-28-2008, 12:47 PM
That's a nice chunk of maple. I realy like the form it is taking. Burls are always a chalenge to keep together. Please show us the finished item soon. :D:D
Bob

Chris Haas
12-28-2008, 1:39 PM
great looking bowl, if only you could have cored it and got some nesting burl bowls, oh well, still really nice looking.

Ron Lynch
12-28-2008, 2:23 PM
Interesting piece of wood and amazing work, but getting back to the crash and burn aspect of turning something that looks to be very fragile and full of holes, how do you cut this without horrendous catches? I've made a few natural edge turnings and some small winged bowls and I was nervous, but this piece is big and holey. How about some words from the wise to us beginners?

Jeff Nicol
12-28-2008, 4:51 PM
Ron, On any blank that I turn that has some voids or nat edge and burls, I take extra care to make sure to check the blank out for anything that may cause trouble during the turning. The main body of this burl was fairly solid so I started with a small face plate and the tailstock to get it roughed down to fairly round. With burl one never knows when or where a crack or void will show up. Once I see a problem I will address it in a way that will stabilize it or I will use a hand saw or other tool to remove a loose piece etc. With this one I knew that it was going to need a lot of glue to keep it together. Epoxy is fast and fills gaps and voids well. Some of the hairline cracks I use CA of different viscosities and fine sawdust.

On any thing that is lumpy, holey, full of cracks and bark the speed of the lathe plays a very important part. To slow and voids and air (NE bowls and voids) can cause catches if the tool is put in the wood to fast. If speed to fast wings, voids, cracks and bark can fly off, get bigger and make funny noises!

So start with a small ugly blank and test yourself and find out what you are comfortable with and use epoxy and CA to stabilize the wood and press on. The bigger the hunk the more glue etc you will need to use.

Here is a pic of one I did a while ago, it started to make noises turning it with the tailstock holding it between centers. When I stopped the lathe I could see that it was going to split in half so I used some bandaids (splines) to hold it together to finish it. It is 12" x 5". Then a few more with some attitude and problems to overcome!

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
12-28-2008, 4:53 PM
To many cracks to core decent, they would have fell apart. I have lots of maple burls that are much more stable than this one so I will try on some of them.

Thanks,

Jeff

Ron Lynch
12-28-2008, 4:54 PM
Geez Jeff, there's more air than wood on some of those. Thanks for the tips

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2008, 5:12 PM
Jeff - looking forward to seeing the finished burl bowl! The blue is an interesting contrast and can't wait to see the effect on the finished product!

Nice work on all the other hollow forms! Turning air is challenging but I always love the 'How did you do that?' questions that follow! Again, very nice work!

Jeff Nicol
12-28-2008, 7:45 PM
Steve, Thanks for the kind words! I like the challenge of crazy looking wood! They never seem to disapoint!

Jeff

Alan Trout
12-28-2008, 8:13 PM
Jeff, I really like the way it looks! I also like working with less then perfect wood. Down hear we don't get much maple but I have turned mesquite logs with the pith still in it. Its cracked, checked, and looks cool, and generally stays together when enough CA is used.:D

Alan

Curt Fuller
12-28-2008, 9:45 PM
Steve, Thanks for the kind words! I like the challenge of crazy looking wood! They never seem to disapoint!

Jeff
You might also consider wrapping it with either masking tape or shrink wrap while you're turning the inside. It probably won't keep it from breaking if it decides to let loose but it might keep the pieces from splitting your noggin....again.

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Nice looking maple burl. Can't wait to see it done.

Jeff Nicol
12-29-2008, 9:14 AM
I have used masking tape and duct tape but never shrink wrap! Will try it on one next time it is needed!

Thanks

Jeff

Jim Kountz
12-29-2008, 9:41 AM
Man what a chunk-o-burl!! Looking forward to seeing this one done. How is that burl to cut? Tough?

Jeff Nicol
12-29-2008, 4:26 PM
It is pretty hard! But with sharp tools not to bad!

Jeff

Skip Spaulding
12-29-2008, 4:39 PM
Looking good Jeff, it's obvious from your other pics that this isn't your first. Looking forward to the finished bowl, Good Luck!